PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a handy(er) person?

Gardenarian
5-12-11, 7:59pm
My DIY skills are not the greatest. Are there any handy-persons out there who can give me some tips on how I can learn about home maintenance?

I can install light fixtures, paint, do decorating stuff like hanging blinds and drapes, and I'm fairly handy with a saw and hammer (can build a compost bin or raised bed, anyhow) - but I'm pretty helpless when it comes to plumbing, electrical, and practically everything else.

For example, we want to replace the carpet in one room with tile. The floor is not level (maybe 5 inches off) and is cement. I'd also like to replace the vinyl in the powder room and bath that adjoins that room. No idea where to begin!

Also, see my post about the swing set. I have found some galvanized pipe (the kind used for fencing) but it's not threaded, and I'm concerned that hanging weight (i.e. 2 kids) from a pole that has a join in it won't be safe. It's not the kind of stuff I can google or find in books or on youtube - because the problems are usually very specific to my situation.

I've tried too many projects on a trial and error basis - the learning curve is pretty steep!

Should I hire someone and help them out (learn by doing)? There are a lot of jobs on our 70 year old place that need taking care of, and I hate the idea of paying someone to do them all. There don't seem to be any courses offered on this sort of thing. I guess most people picked this stuff up from their parents??

I really would love to become more self sufficient! (And be able to pass ome skills down to dd.)

Mrs-M
5-12-11, 9:09pm
Just from watching and observing my husband and dad over the years, ask lots of questions, seek out those who are knowledgeable in the areas you require (and ask them to lend some of their time towards helping/showing), and lastly, don't be afraid. There's a magnitude of experience and knowledge out there (common everyday folk) that is easily tapped into simply by asking, so don't be afraid of asking either. With each project comes knowledge and experience and with knowledge and experience comes confidence. Judging by the sounds of your enthusiasm, I say you've got all the qualities necessary! :)

setis
5-13-11, 12:23am
The electric hire a certified electrician. The others go to your local home depot or lowes or ace hardware and they will help you through any project. We got to help Dad when we were kids. I know what I can do and can't. I do not do alternating current.:cool:

Zoebird
5-15-11, 1:29am
I can't even do what you have on your list.

But, I have a friend who is going to help me out, and so I'll learn.

Lex_Dura
5-15-11, 2:16am
I'm a bit in the same boat, bought an old house while I'm not very handy. There are quite some resources out there: the internet of course, but also the instructions on the materials you are planning to use, the people who work at the place where you buy the materials,... In my case, I've learned that I can figure out how to do something eventually, but it takes some time. Also, it helps to make a written plan for the more complex projects. Good luck!

Cypress
5-16-11, 3:52pm
I too am impressed with your abilities as described. Part of the dilemna is having the time to start and finish a project. Tools are expensive and I'd rather let a person familiar with tools handle jobs around the house. Whatever the task, it will take me hours where it could take the professional 1/2 hour and it's done.