PDA

View Full Version : Stress reducers?

Greg44
5-12-11, 8:06pm
I have had a "swallowing" issue. Went to see the doctor and he feels it is in part due to stress. Any stress in my life he asked? Wha ha ha ha ha - I said let me give you a list! My stress is mostly work related. I told him when I get up in the a.m., no swallowing issues, as the day progresses - swallowing issues.

About a year ago when a co-worker got fired - within about a 1/2 hour - I could see a physical change in his countenance - it was the weirdest thing. I could see the stress just leave his body.

Job changing is not an option right now. This time of year, I often work through my lunches, eat at my desk, grab some fast food, work late...
:treadmill:

Now that the weather is turning nice - I will take some time to go for a walk at lunch.

What do you do to relieve stress?

Alan
5-12-11, 8:12pm

Go for a ride on this. It always works!

http://www.lefttoright.net/images/venture.jpg

AmeliaJane
5-12-11, 8:20pm
I have considered asking the same question! It doesn't help that I live somewhere too hot to be outside comfortably during much of the summer. One thing I stumbled into this week...I was working in a location which a) didn't allow me to eat and be on the computer at the same time and b) let me eat in total privacy--no boss descending on me in the breakroom, no emails turning up to be answered, no staff that needed help in the one minute our two schedules coincided, no coworkers dying to "visit". I felt so much better afterward! I have decided to try to "disappear" at lunch a few times a week and go offline. (For various reasons, it doesn't work for me to go off-property at lunchtime...)

Greg44
5-12-11, 8:46pm

Wow Alan - A Yamaha Venture Royale - very nice! Ha - this is what I sell -- this is the cause of my stress!!

treehugger
5-12-11, 9:00pm
Regular exercise is a big-time stress reducer for me. I am a much nicer person if I have time to go to my twice weekly workout classes and fit in some walks. Listening to music is also important to me, and cooking (as long as I have the time to do it) is relaxing for me.

Sorry about your swallowing trouble. That doesn't sounds fun. I clench my jaw when I am stressed, sleeping and waking. And it leads to headaches and neck and back aches. Sigh.

Kara

Kara

Alan
5-12-11, 9:08pm
Wow Alan - A Yamaha Venture Royale - very nice! Ha - this is what I sell -- this is the cause of my stress!!

As one of those guys who goes into the shop, inquires, deals and walks away, only to come back and start the process over the next day before finally coming to an agreement that makes everyone happy, I feel for you. But I gotta tell ya, jump on a trade-in at lunch, head out to a long stretch of road, set the cruise control and turn up the radio and your stress will melt away.

Tammy
5-12-11, 9:09pm
day to day, I do little things, like drive on my 5 minute commute without the radio on, using that time to just think in silence. Making a conscious effort to continue to do tasks deliberately and completely, one at a time, even when we are really busy. (I'm a mental health nurse manager, also doing patient care. lots of interruptions.)

on a longer vision plan, I do things like take a day off at least once a month, even if its for a one hour dental appointment. That one day makes a huge difference. I'm lucky in that if I work some overtime on the other 4 days (I almost always have a 9 hour day) - then I only have to take vacation hours to equal 40 for the week - so if it's a busy week, I almost use no vacation time even though I took a day off.

the other thing I do is say no to almost everything outside of work, unless it's something I really want to do. I no longer volunteer, help at church, do neighborhood things to help others. I have come to peace about the fact that my career is filled to the brim with helping others, so I don't need to do anything for others in my time off. I have stopped feeling selfish about that. (having been a pastor's wife for 20 years, that was quite the change in mindset!)

Rosemary
5-12-11, 11:39pm
My stress-relief toolbox:
At one job I always packed my lunch and took off to a local park with a favorite book for a half hour. I ate under the trees and erased work from my mind for a short while.
I've done yoga off and on for about 12 years - that and tai chi are great for stress relief because they require so much focus.
Talk to a friend who always makes me laugh.
Listen to music and really concentrate on it, to the extent that no random thoughts can run around my brain. A form of meditation.
Go for a long, fast walk.
Do anything mindfully and with full focus, whether it's chopping vegetables or cleaning the house.

Madsen
5-13-11, 1:27am
Do you workout? Hitting the gym can do wonders for stress.

Reyes
5-13-11, 1:44am
chocolate, lots.

herisf
5-13-11, 9:59am
And when you're home, don't watch the TV news or listen to the radio. When I'm really stressed, silence at home is golden. And no reading the newspapers either! If you prefer, listen to your favorite music w/ your pet on your lap or read a good book.

When I had a desk job and my stress got too high, I'd run off to my car during lunch just for some quiet time away from the email & phones (and other people). If you can't leave the area, then you can always go to your car if it's not too hot or too cold out.

Greg44
5-13-11, 1:57pm
chocolate, lots.

I like your thinking!

libby
5-13-11, 3:24pm
Yes chocolate is good but it's just a temporary fix. I vote for lots of exercise as stress relief. You also may need to take the time to find some concrete ways to change things at your job so that things aren't so stressful.

folkypoet
5-13-11, 4:41pm
I've battled with stress for a long time. A couple of years ago, I wrote a longish post on my old blog about the things I'd do to relieve stress and find peace. You can read it here (http://tangledhill.blogspot.com/2009/03/finding-peace-amidst-rubble-of.html). I've changed quite a bit since then and employ other methods of de-stressing now, but those were what got me out of my funk. Stress *really* affected the quality of my life back then, even to the point of triggering a chronic illness (MS). In fact, that realization was what prompted me to change my ways and get rid of many of the stressors in my life.

I don't use all those ideas anymore. For instance, I can't remember the last time I felt the need to sit and stare at flickering candles for hours or keep up with my home management binder, but at the time, these things were simply necessary. I've discovered other things that make me feel calm these days:

The biggie is mindfulness. I can lose myself in, well, whatever I'm doing. I highly recommend Jon Kabat-Zinn's books as great beginner guides, especially Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life.
I like to get out in nature, now - roaming through wild, wooded areas, exploring creeks, that sort of thing. And, sunlight just seems to help. Even if I'm just working in the backyard, I usually feel wonderful when I come in.
Collecting leaves and stones and Spanish mosses and pine cones and.... I don't know why it calms me, but it does.
I eat well. When my body feels good, the rest of me seems to follow.
Tai Chi. I *love* Tai Chi.
Watching and listening to the birds outside my window. Mmmm....
Getting my house in order. For instance, I enjoy doing the dishes. Really. Now that I don't let them pile up, I enjoy washing each dish, drying it and putting it away. Other things are like that, too. I used to let things pile up, and then I'd feel overwhelmed. I don't let that happen anymore, and now I find that I enjoy many of the tasks that felt so daunting before.
Spending time with people who aren't stressful for me.
Not spending very much time at all on the computer.
Not reading/listening to/watching the news. I look at the headlines every few days or so, and I feel that's enough for me. I don't need to know 98% of what's being reported, and I'll learn about the other 2% from those occasional headlines, from listening to friends and family, etc.
Not watching television at all. I gravitated toward stressful shows, and my body would be in that fight/flight/freeze mode for a half-hour or an hour at a time. Not healthy for me.

I know there are other things I do, but those are probably the most prominent. I've worked very hard these past 4 years or so to de-stress and cultivate calmness and peace. Strangely hard. You'd think it'd be as natural as breathing. And maybe it is for some - just not for me. It's a full-time job. Well, not really so much now, but when I started, I devoted more energy to staying calm than to just about anything else in my life.

Good luck, Greg! :o)

HKPassey
5-14-11, 2:41am
I've gotten terrible at stress relief: I think I've forgotten what it means to relax! Hopefully once my housing situation is finalized I can start thinking that way again. But, when I DO destress:
*Take photos. Lots and lots and lots of photos. Then I torture them in Photoshop and a good time is had by all
*Play with my bird. Nothing makes you smile like a parrot being silly in the shower, or nearly falling off your knee in an ecstasy of being scratched
*Yard work or minor home repairs. An alligator chain saw and and pile of brush can work off a lot of stress!
*Artwork or crafts
*Practice my martial art (Japanese swordsmanship). I've missed this a lot since my arthritis has been worse. Sigh.
*Sing
*Go for a walk, either here by the house or at the beach park a couple miles away. Sit on the beach and sift warm pebbles through my fingers and listen to the waves shushing.

redfox
5-14-11, 2:46am

NICE!

Jemima
5-14-11, 8:02am
The stress really isn't worth it to me. A coworker of mine who was stresssed out all the time in his management job just died from a massive heart attack at the age of 57, less than three years from full retirement with medical benefits. I had been debating whether to retire in early July or wait until the end of September, and my coworker's death made up my mind. I'm outta there July 8th. The extra money just isn't worth dying or being disabled for the rest of my life, and I've already had two major illnesses in the past year. Listen to what your body is saying: you're literally choking on your stress.

I hope your doctor gave you a tranq to take at especially bad times. I have Atavan to use as needed, and it really helps. I take just enough to chill, not get really happy. Getting away at lunchtime and taking a walk helps a lot as well, and gardening when I get home transports me to another, more peaceful world. Be sure to get a good night's sleep, too. Try chamomile tea if you have trouble sleeping.

rosarugosa
5-14-11, 6:45pm
WINE :)
Seriously, I think I kind of thrive on stress in the office, if it's the right kind, and it generally is in my office. Right now, my team is getting hammered with too much work product (it's our busy spring hiring of interns and new college grads). But I have a great team, good support from my manager, and it's interesting work, so I can really get into turbocharged productivity mindset! And I don't mind eating at my desk and working through lunch because it keeps me out of the stores.
It's interesting that some of the things mentioned as stress relievers are things I do without really categorizing them as such: no TV, no news (someone let me know if the world ends please), purring pets in lap, watching the birds and critters in my garden, cleaning and doing home projects on the weekend, etc.
I do also eat pretty well and I'm extremely conscientious about getting enough sleep. When my manager tells me about her sleep issues/patterns, I think that I would keel over and die if I were her.

puglogic
5-17-11, 3:51pm
I used to be the queen of stress. Now I am the queen who reigns over stress :) These are some of the things in my toolkit:

--Exercise. Anything you can fit in.
--A big fat B-Complex supplement every day
--Calcium and magnesium
--Eating better, including NO fast food on a regular basis. This will rattle you so much it's not even funny. Take the time to prepare healthy food and throw some lunches in the freezer. The food board here is a great source of recipes for easy make-ahead things you can stuff in a tupperware and voila, instant nutrition.
--Some sort of mindfulness practice, like yoga, tai chi, or even just meditation for fifteen minutes.
--Turn off the news, turn off the radio news, stop reading the paper. Try a news fast (as recommended by Dr. Andrew Weil) and see how you feel.
--Violent, dramatic, stressful movies and TV seep into our bodies and stress us out as well. When you go to watch something, ask yourself if it's going to help your stress or make it worse.
--Get enough quality sleep.
--Stay away from negative people as much as humanly possible.
--In a pinch, herbal things sometimes help me, like scullcap, valerian, and chamomile.

But the biggest thing is to PLAN for your escape from this stressful situation. Even if you really feel like you can't do it right now, planning and visualizing where you'd really like to be instead can be a good stress reliever. Part of your stress is the hopelessness of being trapped in a situation you don't feel you can control - when really, you can begin to shape something different if you want to. If you were told by a doctor that you'll be dead within a year if you don't get out of this stress cycle, do you think your possibilities might seem a little wider then? Not many people would just shrug and say, "Sorry, nothing I can do." Ask me how I know.

I know you are probably shaking your head at most of these suggestions, convincing yourself that you don't have time for any of this.

The thing is, stress will kill you. It almost killed me. Take this seriously, greg.

Big hugs,
pug

Spartana
5-17-11, 4:02pm

Purty! here's my (very old) yamaha (me on the bike with friend standing) on a 5 week trip thru the southwest. GREAT stress reducer ;-)! . And yes I rode like this - the studipity of youth! YIKES

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=381&d=1305726456

Spartana
5-17-11, 4:09pm
I have had a "swallowing" issue. Went to see the doctor and he feels it is in part due to stress. Any stress in my life he asked? Wha ha ha ha ha - I said let me give you a list! My stress is mostly work related. I told him when I get up in the a.m., no swallowing issues, as the day progresses - swallowing issues.

About a year ago when a co-worker got fired - within about a 1/2 hour - I could see a physical change in his countenance - it was the weirdest thing. I could see the stress just leave his body.

Job changing is not an option right now. This time of year, I often work through my lunches, eat at my desk, grab some fast food, work late...
:treadmill:

Now that the weather is turning nice - I will take some time to go for a walk at lunch.

I know you are a runner so...run some more ;-)! Off the work threadmill though. Exercise is the only thing that reduces stress for me (not that I have much stress in my life). Things that are slow and mellow and quiet (like yoga and meditation) drive me insane and ramp me up rather than slow me down but a long walk, run or hike somewhere beautiful really calms me down. Also the swallowing thing could be some sort of allergy or digestive thing like GERD. I read somewhere that both things can cause excess swelling in the mouth and throat, leading to the feeling of needing to swallow complusively.

Alan
5-17-11, 4:16pm
Purty! here's my (very old) yamaha (me on the bike with friend standing) on a 5 week trip thru the southwest. GREAT stress reducer ;-)! . And yes I rode like this - the studipity of youth! YIKES

Over the last 4 years, my wife and I have ridden through Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Missouri, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico.

Outside of Tennessee and North Carolina, I've loved the southwest the best, although with that much exposed skin, I think I'd have burnt myself to a crisp.

Spartana
5-17-11, 4:32pm
Over the last 4 years, my wife and I have ridden through Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Missouri, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico.

Outside of Tennessee and North Carolina, I've loved the southwest the best, although with that much exposed skin, I think I'd have burnt myself to a crisp.

Yep, I was burned to a crisp. I was stupid, studpid, stupid! Iwould wear full leathers, gloves, jacket and boots now - and still would feel unprotected :-)!. Use to ride dirt bikes in a bathing suit (stupid!!!). I stopped riding and got rid of my bikes a few years ago (had a Suzuki GSX-750 last - my baby, but not for long rides). I envy you guys being able to go to all the places you've been.

Greg44
5-17-11, 4:43pm
Spartana - Your very old Yamaha Maxim M/C --- ah I remember selling them when they were BRAND NEW! Very popular M/C, smooth and fast!

Spartana
5-17-11, 5:00pm
Spartana - Your very old Yamaha Maxim M/C --- ah I remember selling them when they were BRAND NEW! Very popular M/C, smooth and fast!

Yeah that pic is from awhile back (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) but that bike was pretty fast for a small bike. Had a Virago 750 at one time too (liked the Maxim better - chain drive if I remember) and a Honda Nighthawk 650 before moving on to (VERY fast) crotch rockets :-)!! One of these days I might start riding again but not here is SoCal - too crowded and too scary.

Editted to add: Once I retired, moved to the mountains and gave up riding, I got an old Jeep to give me my "feel of the open road, wind in my face" stress reduction. I was still able to wear shorts and tank top and tennis shoes, but felt ALMOST as free and wild as I did on a motorcycle. You might want to try something like that Greg for a stress reducer. Works great! I think I have a pic... yep. Geeze, I'm going nuts on the photos today. Showing off as usual :-)!!
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=375&d=1305668943

And before the Jeep I had a Suzuki Samari - the poor man's Jeep :-)
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=376&d=1305669742

Tenngal
5-17-11, 7:11pm
I thought I was the only one in the world who felt stress in my throat. Starts out as a "lump" feeling and gets worse. The best thing I've ever done for stress is to start a walking program. If I can get at least 30 min at day, outside or on the treadmill, I can really tell the difference. Works best if I get to walk outside with another person to vent my frustrations.

Alan
5-17-11, 8:12pm
Hey, I recognize those Alaska plates. I spent 3 years in Anchorage back in the 70's. Loved it!!

herbgeek
5-17-11, 9:00pm
I used to go to a local boat launch and have my lunch in the car. Just being outside for 1/2 an hour reminded me of what's really important, and I went back recharged. In another job, where I had a bona fide office, I would turn my office lights off and do a legs-up-the-wall yoga pose for 20 minutes. It was the only way I could deal with a micromanaging boss. Yet another job, I would nap for 15 minutes under my desk, where I had a cube where people randomly walking by couldn't see me.

pony mom
5-17-11, 9:57pm
My massage clients say that massages help stress. I wouldn't know, since I haven't had one in over a year. Simply having someone massage your head/scalp is a wonderful stress-reliever. I may be one of the few people who doesn't have too much stress in their life; worry, yes, but not stress. My best therapy for everything is spending time with my horse--just grooming and fussing over him makes the crappiest day better. Any activity that you can lose yourself in, like exercise, a hobby, or even something mindless is helpful. Or spend some time learning something new that you will enjoy. When times get tough, I love a good nap too.

SoSimple
5-17-11, 10:14pm
I read. Everything. Anything.

Well, okay, there are books I tend to read and re-read and re-read. I used to go through Star Trek novels voraciously (I used to have almost all of the NextGen ones). Now I read slightly better quality SF - I'm on a Stephen Baxter roll right now. He has such wonderfully inventive ways of destroying the world, but builds such fantastically "human" heroes - warts and all - that somehow manage to save a fraction of humanity.

In any case, who cares about a stressful crappy day when you have heroes dealing with some nanobug like the Moonseed (http://www.amazon.com/Moonseed-ebook/dp/B00120958U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1305684252&sr=1-1)?

Spartana
5-17-11, 10:41pm
Hey, I recognize those Alaska plates. I spent 3 years in Anchorage back in the 70's. Loved it!!

Wow small world! I lived in Cordova for about a year and then later worked and lived in Anchorage for about 4 years in the early 90's. Loved it too! Use to hang out at Elmendorf AFB watching the jets fly out right next to the runway! Lived off Hillcrest st (and yes I have a pic ha ha) and use to walk over to Chilcoot Charlies. Fun! Do http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=377&d=1305686626you recognize this place??

Alan
5-18-11, 7:45am
Wow small world! I lived in Cordova for about a year and then later worked and lived in Anchorage for about 4 years in the early 90's. Loved it too! Use to hang out at Elmendorf AFB watching the jets fly out right next to the runway! Lived off Hillcrest st (and yes I have a pic ha ha) and use to walk over to Chilcoot Charlies. Fun! Do you recognize this place??

Yes, it is a small world. I was stationed at Elmendorf for 2 of those 3 years and spent more than a little time at Chilcoot Charlies. Now I've got their radio ditty running through my head: "Come and play in my back yard at Chilcoot Charlie's in Spenard". They used to keep bowls of peanuts on the tables and people were encouraged to drop the shells on the floor, I guess to soak up all the spilled beer.

It's been a long time, but I'll guess that last pic is at Portage Glacier?

Spartana
5-18-11, 9:40am
Yes, it is a small world. I was stationed at Elmendorf for 2 of those 3 years and spent more than a little time at Chilcoot Charlies. Now I've got their radio ditty running through my head: "Come and play in my back yard at Chilcoot Charlie's in Spenard". They used to keep bowls of peanuts on the tables and people were encouraged to drop the shells on the floor, I guess to soak up all the spilled beer.

It's been a long time, but I'll guess that last pic is at Portage Glacier?

Yep it is!! I really loved Alaska and hope to drive up there again someday. Actually drove that little Suzuki from Calif to Key West to Boston to Alaska - all without a radio or CD (er... cassette) player. Great trip. And they still throw peanut shells on the floor at Chilcoots. One of those great dance place where you could go hike all day and go straight to Chilcoots and then dance all night in your hiking boot! Only in Alaska! Ever been to The Birdhouse down on Turnagain Arm? A tiny little bar that was held together with bras and panties and old driver licences left by every visitor. Again, only in Alaska. My house in Anchorage - can you see it :-)! Moose use to come right up to the front and eat everything.
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=385&d=1305737673
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=382&d=1305737516
http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=384&d=1305737623

Hey Gregg - That's what you need to relieve stress - a trip to Alaska. Of course it's colder and rainier than Seattle so maybe not! OK, no more hogging the thread.

Greg44
5-18-11, 4:03pm
A beach in Mexico - that is a stress reliever for me. Last two times we went - we didn't even go into the city.

1. Get up and see who is going to put the towels out on the best lounge chairs.
2. Morning - filled with reading and deciding what is for lunch.
3. Afternoon - Reading, a walk on beach and deciding where we are going for dinner.

Next day - repeat steps 1-3. :+1:

Heaven.

Alan
5-18-11, 4:32pm
Yep it is!! I really loved Alaska and hope to drive up there again someday. Actually drove that little Suzuki from Calif to Key West to Boston to Alaska - all without a radio or CD (er... cassette) player. Great trip. And they still throw peanut shells on the floor at Chilcoots. One of those great dance place where you could go hike all day and go straight to Chilcoots and then dance all night in your hiking boot! Only in Alaska! Ever been to The Birdhouse down on Turnagain Arm? A tiny little bar that was held together with bras and panties and old driver licences left by every visitor. Again, only in Alaska. My house in Anchorage - can you see it :-)! Moose use to come right up to the front and eat everything.

I think I might have some old pics of that very spot at Portage Glacier, I think that's why I recognized it. I'll have to look through the old albums.
Sorry, don't remember the Birdhouse and based upon your description, I think I would. In a few years, we're planning on going back in the RV and spend a few months, maybe I'll get the chance to see it then. You've got me reminiscing now.

Spartana
5-18-11, 10:12pm
A beach in Mexico - that is a stress reliever for me. Last two times we went - we didn't even go into the city.

1. Get up and see who is going to put the towels out on the best lounge chairs.
2. Morning - filled with reading and deciding what is for lunch.
3. Afternoon - Reading, a walk on beach and deciding where we are going for dinner.

Next day - repeat steps 1-3. :+1:

Heaven.

And don't forget those beach bars - gotta have a margarita in Margarittaville ya know :-).

Spartana
5-18-11, 10:14pm
I think I might have some old pics of that very spot at Portage Glacier, I think that's why I recognized it. I'll have to look through the old albums.
Sorry, don't remember the Birdhouse and based upon your description, I think I would. In a few years, we're planning on going back in the RV and spend a few months, maybe I'll get the chance to see it then. You've got me reminiscing now.

I'd love to see the photos! I know that Anchorage and the surrounding area really changed alot from my first time there in the mid 80's (when I was in Cordova in the CG) until I lived in Anchorage from 91 to 94-ish. BIG changes! Probably more so now. Since you were an AF guy, I bet you went to the Crazy Horse Saloon - it was a strip club :-)!

Greg44
5-18-11, 10:16pm
And don't forget those beach bars - gotta have a margarita in Margarittaville ya know :-).

Well maybe a Diet Coke - with a slice of lime - that is about as crazy as I get!

Spartana
5-18-11, 10:22pm
Well maybe a Diet Coke - with a slice of lime - that is about as crazy as I get!

You wild thing you :-)!!! Don't forget to put salt of the rim of the glass.

Alan
5-19-11, 7:29am
I'd love to see the photos! I know that Anchorage and the surrounding area really changed alot from my first time there in the mid 80's (when I was in Cordova in the CG) until I lived in Anchorage from 91 to 94-ish. BIG changes! Probably more so now. Since you were an AF guy, I bet you went to the Crazy Horse Saloon - it was a strip club :-)!
Well, if it was there in the mid 70's then I'm sure I did. Although I spent most of my leisure hours at Chilcoots, the Pines Club on Northern Lights Blvd and at the Admiral Perry Lounge at the Holiday Inn at 3rd and C. Young military guys are easy to entertain.

I'll try to look through the old pics tonight and see what I can find.

Spartana
5-19-11, 1:17pm
Well, if it was there in the mid 70's then I'm sure I did.

HA HA :devil::devil::devil:

Spartana
5-21-11, 10:00pm
oops - accidently deleted my album & the pics. Oh well, time for new ones any ways :-)!