PDA

View Full Version : blog post: stop wasting your money on fancy experiences

Packratona!
4-13-18, 10:40am
Linked this via MMM's latest blog post. Food for thought. I have often wondered why people think it's ok for a family to spend gobs of money on travel when said family is not financially secure.

https://rampantdiscourse.com/stop-wasting-your-money-on-fancy-experiences/

ApatheticNoMore
4-13-18, 10:57am
Experiences have always seemed pretty dumb to me. I would rather have a few nice things if I had to choose. If I won 100 million in the lottery experiences would still lack any appeal. A job that required travel is a job I would decide not to apply for.

OTOH all you can say about the family choosing to take that last vacation is it might be cheaper than therapy.

Tammy
4-13-18, 10:58am
On the other hand, research shows longer lasting happiness from experiences than from purchases.

razz
4-13-18, 11:14am
I saved money for three years and took my two teenaged kids for a 2-week trip through Europe to see how the Old World compares to the New World. It was a life-changing experience for them and me. The world looks different with travel to guide and meet a variety of others. At the end of the day, people are just people; there is no "other".

We all need to do that to get out of our tribal, 'silo' way of thought. Those who rarely venture outside their familiar terrain seem, in my experience anyway, as far more judgmental and intolerant of others. Is this necessarily true? No! But it does take more effort to break down walls with the unfamiliar.
At the end of the day, it is all about balance in all things.

JaneV2.0
4-13-18, 11:43am
Experiences have always seemed pretty dumb to me. I would rather have a few nice things if I had to choose. If I won 100 million in the lottery experiences would still lack any appeal. A job that required travel is a job I would decide not to apply for. ..

I agree; I traveled for a few months for work. That was enough. A lot of these lofty pronouncements don't seem to take individual preferences into account.

I usually forget the gist of these much-touted experiences practically before I'm done having them.

Float On
4-13-18, 11:47am
I don't want fancy experiences...but I'd rather have travel over a lot of things.

sweetana3
4-13-18, 11:53am
I agree with razz. Travel has meant more to me than anything I have bought. It opened up my mind to the differences in cultures and now makes me question much of our "news". I totally realize we live in a blessed country and often don't act like it.

rosarugosa
4-13-18, 12:15pm
I love great experiences, but they certainly don't have to be fancy. I just saw 6 egrets and two ospreys down at the rail trail.

ApatheticNoMore
4-13-18, 12:39pm
oh I like spending time in natural areas, pure joy. The problem is with earning money, having disposable income and being told one should spend it on experiences, thinking about it, realizing about none of those experiences have any appeal (unlike things which though I'm not a huge consumer I DO occasionally like nice things) and puzzling over the whole thing (travel? meh concerts? meh restaurants? meh etc.). I suppose buying books straddles the line and guilty as charged. Though I do find one of the pure experiences that have at times been somewhat worthwhile is spending money on hobbies like lessons.

catherine
4-13-18, 2:07pm
I guess the point of the article is spending money is spending money and if you can't afford it you shouldn't do it.

People who advocate spending on experiences tend to be the anti-consumerist people who look at "things" as worthless drag on resources, landfills, and are empty fulfillment because they don't make you happier.

Those people will argue that experiences fortify social connection, get you to expand your horizons (as razz suggested), and open you to seeing things anew. I get a thrill every time I travel--even business travel is fun for me. I understand that a lot of people wouldn't agree. I've had clients say to me, "Oh, you poor thing, you have to travel!" to which I respond "I look at it as 'Lucky me, I GET to travel!"

My two sons went together on a trip to Europe and I was so gratified to hear one of them say that it changed how they saw the world. Fait accompli.

I have to admit that I'm starting to gag watching those gosh darned HGTV shows, especially the vacation home ones, where the perky mom and dad with 2-3 kids and two dogs say that they want to purchase the $500,000 vacation home in order to allow their kids to "make memories." I truly have no issue with the idea of it--I've spoken about my own positive experiences growing up with my aunt at her cottage, but that phrase is just so trite and contrived. You can't cook up a memory.

But again, the idea is.... is there a "right" way to spend money, if you don't have the money to spend? Probably not. The "right" way would be to not spend at all.

JaneV2.0
4-13-18, 2:31pm
I guess the point of the article is spending money is spending money and if you can't afford it you shouldn't do it.

People who advocate spending on experiences tend to be the anti-consumerist people who look at "things" as worthless drag on resources, landfills, and are empty fulfillment because they don't make you happier. ...

But again, the idea is.... is there a "right" way to spend money, if you don't have the money to spend? Probably not. The "right" way would be to not spend at all.

And yeah, if you don't have the money, best to get your experiences close to home where--with luck--there are plenty to choose from.

Certain things make me happy every day (my computer, books, my Kindle app...). And I've had pleasant experiences, as well--just not far afield.

frugal-one
4-13-18, 2:35pm
Experiences have always seemed pretty dumb to me. I would rather have a few nice things if I had to choose. If I won 100 million in the lottery experiences would still lack any appeal. A job that required travel is a job I would decide not to apply for.

OTOH all you can say about the family choosing to take that last vacation is it might be cheaper than therapy.

I totally disagree with you. I recently cleaned out my house of many nice things. Interestingly, I didn't even remember having them. I used them at one time or another but, obviously, they had little or no value to me. I can go to a garage sale and buy nice things. I remember very few gifts I got as gifts for Christmas or birthdays but never forget experiences. Not too long ago, my son took us to an Ethiopian restaurant and then to a rapture presentation. It cost him very little but the memories will be with me forever. It was great. I travel extensively and LOVE the memories. No one can take that away from me. I learn so much about other cultures (even here in the US) or nature.

The people I know who say they don't like to travel have never done it. It does take some moxie to step outside of your comfort zone but totally worth it! It will be time to die when I no longer look for adventure. I cannot even imagine being content just to stay in my own small world. As many here have stated, there are lots of things to do nearby but also much to do elsewhere. Experiences are my spice to life!

JaneV2.0
4-13-18, 4:48pm
The world would be hugely boring if we were all the same.
Enjoying life is a goal for many of us, and there are an infinite number of ways we choose to do this.

I've traveled enough to discover that I don't enjoy it as much as others seem to. There are places I would like to see, but teleportation hasn't been invented yet.

Teacher Terry
4-13-18, 6:09pm
When we were raising our kids most of our travel was close by due to saving for college and retirement. Now that the kids are grown we are traveling a lot while we can. We take 2 big trips/year. I have given many nice things to thrift stores in downsizing and now spend $ on eating out, trips, concerts, plays, festivals, etc.

Yppej
4-13-18, 6:59pm
I saved money for three years and took my two teenaged kids for a 2-week trip through Europe to see how the Old World compares to the New World. It was a life-changing experience for them and me. The world looks different with travel to guide and meet a variety of others. At the end of the day, people are just people; there is no "other".

We all need to do that to get out of our tribal, 'silo' way of thought. Those who rarely venture outside their familiar terrain seem, in my experience anyway, as far more judgmental and intolerant of others. Is this necessarily true? No! But it does take more effort to break down walls with the unfamiliar.
At the end of the day, it is all about balance in all things.

There are so many ethnic enclaves you could acconplish this domestically. I have learned more about other cultures in my home state than I did on a 10 day tour I took rushing through Europe.

razz
4-13-18, 8:19pm
There are so many ethnic enclaves you could acconplish this domestically. I have learned more about other cultures in my home state than I did on a 10 day tour I took rushing through Europe.
But not the history of the Tower of London, the Stonehenge and Buckingham Palace, the travel through the canals by gondola in Venice and boat in Amsterdam, the Coliseum, leaning Tower of Pisa, the Cologne Cathedral, the art of the Louvre in Paris and the Medici's efforts in Florence, shopping in Paris... So much beauty and history over the centuries that is so different from North American beauty, vast space and history over a much shorter known timespan.

I am not against exploring one's own neighbourhood and country but the world is diverse and fascinating. Would I borrow money, as the OP's link suggested, to travel putting my long-term future at risk? - no. Would I give up material things beyond basic needs in order to travel, absolutely!

Tradd
4-13-18, 9:43pm
Is my scuba diving passion considered to be a "fancy experience"?

ApatheticNoMore
4-14-18, 2:14am

I'm somewhat sympathetic there, not for the person who can't afford it planning a trip around the world so much, I mean that's extreme, but it's not really psychologically possible to live on the edge of austerity all the time *especially* when you add in pretty severe existing stresses, maybe like the couple going bankrupt ... I don't know, I just find that yea I'm only buying necessities pretty much as I'm looking for work, but I do wonder if it doesn't make this period even harder psychologically, as it's another act of willpower and I'm strained there to near the breaking point as is.

There are so many ethnic enclaves you could acconplish this domestically.

yes it more than occured to me that to interact across cultures doesn't really require travel.

As for things one can't remember they had, my place isn't that big, however I am QUITE sure that there are MANY memories I scarcely remember I had!

Yppej
4-14-18, 7:08am
But not the history of the Tower of London, the Stonehenge and Buckingham Palace, the travel through the canals by gondola in Venice and boat in Amsterdam, the Coliseum, leaning Tower of Pisa, the Cologne Cathedral, the art of the Louvre in Paris and the Medici's efforts in Florence, shopping in Paris... So much beauty and history over the centuries that is so different from North American beauty, vast space and history over a much shorter known timespan.

Stonehenge 5000 years old - America's Stonehenge in Amherst NH 4000 years old
Louvre 1793 - America's Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA - 1799 (and the US has many greater museums as well - it would take you a week just to see the top ones in NYC)
The Coliseum 80, Tower of London 1066, Tower of Pisa 1284 - Chumash Painted Cave State Historic Park 1000, Cahokia Mounds 700 to 1400, Mesa Verde National Park 1190's, Acoma Pueblo 1150
Cologne Cathedral 1880 - San Miguel Mission in San Antonio TX 1710
Canals - Fort Lauderdale
Gondola rides - WaterFire in Providence, RI
Shopping - I'm sure have this covered - Mall of America etc.

It"s nice that you enjoyed your trip to Europe, but it seems like there's a lot closer to home on your own continent that you have yet to take in. I don't know if you have seen Canada's Notre Dame des Victoires from 1690 or La Seminaire de Saint Sulpice from 1684.

catherine
4-14-18, 7:56am
Stonehenge 5000 years old - America's Stonehenge in Amherst NH 4000 years old
Louvre 1793 - America's Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA - 1799 (and the US has many greater museums as well - it would take you a week just to see the top ones in NYC)
The Coliseum 80, Tower of London 1066, Tower of Pisa 1284 - Chumash Painted Cave State Historic Park 1000, Cahokia Mounds 700 to 1400, Mesa Verde National Park 1190's, Acoma Pueblo 1150
Cologne Cathedral 1880 - San Miguel Mission in San Antonio TX 1710
Canals - Fort Lauderdale
Gondola rides - WaterFire in Providence, RI
Shopping - I'm sure have this covered - Mall of America etc.

Sure--our domestic wonders are great. I was in my mid-40s before I ever saw a cactus--and I still remember the experience of that and of the wonder of seeing this completely unfamiliar part of the country--the red sandiness of the Southwest terrain made me feel I was on a different planet from my wooded Northeastern one.

But if that's how I felt in my own country, how magnified is the experience when you layer on other factors like other culture, other language, other news headlines! (Try comparing the headlines of an ex-US paper about a US event with the headline of the same event written for a US audience. Talk about eye-opening).

I don't think razz is saying that people SHOULD travel. If you don't like it you don't like it. But if you do like it, the world is a big place and offers a huge variety of experiences. My experience of wonder going to Phoenix is magnified if I go to India or Kuala Lumpur or Paris or Scotland. I would disagree that you don't gain anything by expanding horizons outside the US.

Yppej
4-14-18, 8:05am
other news headlines! (Try comparing the headlines of an ex-US paper about a US event with the headline of the same event written for a US audience. Talk about eye-opening).

You could also get this from a TV package that includes international networks like Al Jazeera, which does have an English speaking station.

I don't buy that people who travel have better and broader perspectives. Maybe it goes back to reading Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain. If you actually live in a country and immerse yourself in it that is different in my mind.

Packratona!
4-14-18, 10:30am

People who advocate spending on experiences tend to be the anti-consumerist people who look at "things" as worthless drag on resources, landfills, and are empty fulfillment because they don't make you happier.

Those people will argue that experiences fortify social connection, get you to expand your horizons (as razz suggested), and open you to seeing things anew. I get a thrill every time I travel--even business travel is fun for me. I understand that a lot of people wouldn't agree. I've had clients say to me, "Oh, you poor thing, you have to travel!" to which I respond "I look at it as 'Lucky me, I GET to travel!"

My two sons went together on a trip to Europe and I was so gratified to hear one of them say that it changed how they saw the world. Fait accompli.

I have to admit that I'm starting to gag watching those gosh darned HGTV shows, especially the vacation home ones, where the perky mom and dad with 2-3 kids and two dogs say that they want to purchase the $500,000 vacation home in order to allow their kids to "make memories." I truly have no issue with the idea of it--I've spoken about my own positive experiences growing up with my aunt at her cottage, but that phrase is just so trite and contrived. You can't cook up a memory.

Perfectly said, Catherine.

JaneV2.0
4-14-18, 10:41am
You could also get this from a TV package that includes international networks like Al Jazeera, which does have an English speaking station.

I don't buy that people who travel have better and broader perspectives. Maybe it goes back to reading Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain. If you actually live in a country and immerse yourself in it that is different in my mind.

Hear, hear! Travel often seems to me like a forced march, trying to cram all the "experiences" into a too-short time frame and being uncomfortably stressed the whole time. I wouldn't mind being dropped into various cultures for a year or two each so that I could get to know them intimately without all the frantic rushing around.

Packratona!
4-14-18, 10:44am
YMOYL as I recall, from reading decades ago, was all about deciding what you want out of life and then getting control of your own finances to enable that. A basic concept of "simple living", is to question and be introspective about how to spend your own money. This involves challenging preconceived notions, pressures we get from our surrounding culture and advertising. It is pretty much necessary, in the road toward FI. So the idea of spending scads of money traveling when you are in debt, is worthy of challenge. Personally, I like the idea of having the freedom to travel as long as I want; and working towards FI so one can do that, is to me, a better choice. First things first! There are ways to travel, with much less cost, but it does require some knowledge and bit of risk taking. Actually NOT having a job, and being FI, opens up new possibilities for cheaper and more meaningful travel.

frugal-one
4-14-18, 11:28am
YMOYL as I recall, from reading decades ago, was all about deciding what you want out of life and then getting control of your own finances to enable that. A basic concept of "simple living", is to question and be introspective about how to spend your own money. This involves challenging preconceived notions, pressures we get from our surrounding culture and advertising. It is pretty much necessary, in the road toward FI. So the idea of spending scads of money traveling when you are in debt, is worthy of challenge. Personally, I like the idea of having the freedom to travel as long as I want; and working towards FI so one can do that, is to me, a better choice. First things first! There are ways to travel, with much less cost, but it does require some knowledge and bit of risk taking. Actually NOT having a job, and being FI, opens up new possibilities for cheaper and more meaningful travel.

Exactly!

Teacher Terry
4-14-18, 6:00pm
WE have been to Europe 4x's and each time was awesome. We like to spend time in one area so spent 2 weeks in Rome and 2 weeks just in the Tuscany area. In the next few years we are planning a 4 month trip to Europe. This summer we are taking a huge driving trip going all over the states. We intend to travel while we are both still healthy and able too. Europe is not very accessible like here so much harder if you have a physical mobility issue.-

sweetana3
4-14-18, 6:31pm
Yes, I can speak about mobility issues. Husband tore up his knee right before a 3 week tour of France. He still went with his walker. Cobblestones, stairs, and crowds are not good with walkers. One hotel had no elevator which is quite common. Many restrooms were found in basements again the elevators are not a necessity in old buildings. We worked around it and are going back next year so he can actually see some of Paris.

Gardenarian
4-14-18, 11:13pm
I like to travel, not endlessly, and not on some quest to see every country. But when I have been abroad my mind seems to take in so much more, and exploring great places creates great memories.

At home too often one day runs in to the next - work, walk with my dog, read, ride my bike, garden, workout. I do some activities that are slightly more interesting - dance, painting, remodeling projects - but I really remember clearly the vacations, and the times when I've had remarkable experiences boating, camping, at the theatre.

I have few possessions that mean anything to me, and the ones that do are means to more experiences, like my bike and my tools.

Travel doesn't need to cost a fortune - but any cost at all is obviously too much for someone in debt.

Teacher Terry
4-15-18, 6:22pm
This summer we are taking a huge driving trip and will probably be gone 5-7 weeks. We are visiting all our friends and family in many states and then up to Northern WI to show my DH many awesome places I went in my childhood, then Canada and Glacier National Park. We are taking the dogs so won't be on any kind of timetable.

catherine
4-15-18, 6:23pm
This summer we are taking a huge driving trip and will probably be gone 5-7 weeks. We are visiting all our friends and family in many states and then up to Northern WI to show my DH many awesome places I went in my childhood, then Canada and Glacier National Park. We are taking the dogs so won't be on any kind of timetable.

I love road trips! Yours sounds GREAT! Have fun!

Tybee
4-15-18, 6:24pm

Terry, do you have a pull behind camper or RV? We have dogs and I think it would make a trip like yours a lot easier. are you teaching in the summer? What do you do for wifi?

Teacher Terry
4-15-18, 6:49pm
We have a 27 ft motorhome but are not taking it. Gas prices are high, we get bad mileage and the RV parks have gotten very expensive. The last big trip we spent anywhere between 35-75/night. WE are taking our car and staying at Motel 6's. When we are visiting family we can stay with them. We have 2 small dogs and my son's 80lb big guy we inherited. We just buy a bigger data plan because I am teaching this summer. 3 years ago we went on a month trip with the RV and spend 6k mostly on gas and RV sites. Even the national parks charged between 55-75/night. I cooked the whole time and I could not believe how much we spent. This time we will take our cooler and only eat dinner out.

Packratona!
4-15-18, 7:36pm
We have a 27 ft motorhome but are not taking it. Gas prices are high, we get bad mileage and the RV parks have gotten very expensive. The last big trip we spent anywhere between 35-75/night. WE are taking our car and staying at Motel 6's. When we are visiting family we can stay with them. We have 2 small dogs and my son's 80lb big guy we inherited. We just buy a bigger data plan because I am teaching this summer. 3 years ago we went on a month trip with the RV and spend 6k mostly on gas and RV sites. Even the national parks charged between 55-75/night. I cooked the whole time and I could not believe how much we spent. This time we will take our cooler and only eat dinner out.

Great comments Teacher Terry! RVs look cool but yeah everyone says they are super expensive to own and use. Right now, I am actually enjoying hosting lots of visitors from all over, who are driving and flying to see us and our new place. So fun! I like providing a nice comfy clean guest room and bath, though multiple guests who come at the same time have to sleep in the huge living room/kitchen/dining area on cots, couch, mats on floor, or a hammock. So far I have been doing all the cooking which everyone seems to enjoy! And yes, I do all the dishes too! Total relaxation for everyone! Exhausted by the time everyone leaves but will do as long as I can!

Teacher Terry
4-15-18, 7:52pm
Thankfully, when we bought the motorhome 10 years ago it was already 15 yo. It had very low miles and had not been used much. We have used it much more as a extra guest room then anything else. Enjoy your company Pack:))

Alan
4-15-18, 8:37pm
We have a 28 ft motorhome with 3 slides that gets between 9 and 10 mpg. Our last big trip was last summer when we did a 3 week trip from Ohio to California with short stops in New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and Colorado. Our average RV park expense was about $35 per night and there were a couple of free nights in Wal Mart parking lots. I think our total expense on that trip was about $3000.

Tybee
4-16-18, 8:05am

Ouch. that is high.I love Motel 6's with the dogs. We have two 65 pounders.

Teacher Terry
4-16-18, 2:03pm
The 6 k trip we went from NV to TX, KS, Denver and then to Yellowstone, grand Tetons, Idaho and home. Not sure how many miles. This trip will be between 4-5k/miles. We have been known to stop at truck stops since they are free if we just want to sleep. With Motel 6 it is costing us 50/night which includes all the taxes. In WI we are getting an airbnb that has a private apartment above a 100 yo farmhouse. It has a private lake, walking trails,etc for 75/night. They are totally dog friendly.

Teacher Terry
4-16-18, 2:09pm
Alan, ours gets the same gas mileage as yours. a week of that trip we had a free stay because we were either parked at friends or family homes. We were looking at spending a month on the Oregon coast and the rates were between 1500-2400/month. Also when I emailed places they said you need to book a year in advance. Ugh! I would have kept searching but then we decided to do this other trip.

Gardnr
4-16-18, 9:25pm
We've loved our experiences. 2 summer weeks on the Colorado summit.....changed hotels after 3 nights. We took it all in and really enjoyed ourselves. 2 weeks in the CA bay area-Big Sur to Bodega Bay. Again, 3 night stays to take it all in and the final 4 days in the city. Awesome! We saw places we wanted to see on this trip. (the cathedral was locked but we tried).

Atlanta NASCAR race and our local college football team BEATING the GA Bulldogs! So much fun that trip.

60 hour whirlwind trip to Vegas for our Bowl game and a Lady Gaga concert.

Just a few examples..... 15 years of camping for every vacation in our $100 tent trailer was worth it!

All paid for with cash savings for just this reason. because the American culture of stuff does not interest us. Experiences. (No dipping retirement or decreasing contributions.)

Unlike many travelers (including 2 of my sisters), Going abroad is not important to us, we want to see the USA.

As someone else said, good thing we aren't all the same!

Teacher Terry
4-19-18, 1:51pm
If you think you will ever want to go to Europe do it while you still physically can becaue it is not very accessible at all.

LDAHL
5-1-18, 1:07pm
I am in perfect accord with Jane on this issue. Maybe years spent traveling for work can ruin it for a person. Maybe aging creates more of an appreciation for rootedness. Never understood the peculiar joy some take simply from hauling themselves around. But to each his own. There are plenty of other "pleasures" I don't understand. All I ask is that they keep the pictures to a decent minimum.

Teacher Terry
5-1-18, 1:51pm
We never got to travel so we love it. However, I don't get people posting on Facebook pictures while they are gone. It just screams rob my home since it is empty. I take very few pictures and only show them to people if they ask. We will be gone for 6 weeks this summer and I am really looking forward to it. WE have been to many national parks and this summer will go to Glacier.

LDAHL
5-1-18, 2:01pm
We never got to travel so we love it. However, I don't get people posting on Facebook pictures while they are gone. It just screams rob my home since it is empty. I take very few pictures and only show them to people if they ask. We will be gone for 6 weeks this summer and I am really looking forward to it. WE have been to many national parks and this summer will go to Glacier.

That approach is both prudent and courteous.

Teacher Terry
5-1-18, 2:14pm
A friend of mine moved to Europe for a year. He asked his friends who wanted pics and descriptions and put those people on a email list. Then monthly he gave an update with pics and knew that the people receiving them actually wanted them. I go on Facebook to see people's kids and pets. I totally hate it when people post what they are eating, etc. Who cares? The one exception was when my friend and I went to Poland with my kids and my DIL's mom cooked us a delicious meal every night and the desserts looked like they came out of a bakery. My friend posted the unusual ones and her mom was thrilled.

frugal-one
5-1-18, 9:53pm

We have been to many National Parks as well. I absolutely LOVED Glacier. If you like to hike, this is the place to go! There are not many places that I would go again but would go back to Glacier in a second!

ApatheticNoMore
5-1-18, 11:48pm
and you can get there to Glacier national park by train, right there to the lodge itself, and get around via shuttles afterward, no car needed.

Simplemind
5-2-18, 11:15am
I post my travels on my FB page for me. I use it as a travel diary and love the FB memories feature when they pop back up (for my eyes only) from years past. It isn't for bragging or feedback, just a way for me to track a moment in time. Our home is never unoccupied while we travel so that isn't a concern.

Teacher Terry
5-2-18, 12:37pm
We have been to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Zion, Grand Canyon and loved them all. We need our car as we are taking a 5k trip this summer with 3 dogs.

Gardnr
5-2-18, 8:41pm
ohhhh National Parks. So far: Zion, Bryce, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Sequoia, King's Canyon, Rocky Mountain, Craters of the Moon, City of Rocks, Hagerman fossil Beds, Crater Lake, Hells Canyon, Oregon Dunes......getting a pattern? out west:)

Alan
5-2-18, 9:08pm
OK, my National Parks list from mostly the last 10 years: Grand Canyon (North & South Rims), Yellowstone, Zion, Bryce, Grand Teton, Arches, Canyonlands, Denali, Rocky Mountain, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde, Dinosaur, Petrified Forest, Mammoth Caves, Gettysburg, Smoky Mountain, Colonial Williamsburg, Yosemite, Jewel, and maybe a couple of others which escape me at the moment
(not counting National Monuments and Memorials from coast to coast).

We have a lifetime National Park Service Pass and have completely filled our first National Park Passport and gotten a good start on the second.

Gardnr
5-2-18, 10:26pm
AWESOME ALAN:cool::0!

frugal-one
5-3-18, 2:43am
I am in perfect accord with Jane on this issue. Maybe years spent traveling for work can ruin it for a person. Maybe aging creates more of an appreciation for rootedness. Never understood the peculiar joy some take simply from hauling themselves around. But to each his own. There are plenty of other "pleasures" I don't understand. All I ask is that they keep the pictures to a decent minimum.

I traveled many years for work also. Aging also has not dimmed my desire for adventure either. Thankfully I have a partner who shares my passion! As you say, to each ....

Summer
5-3-18, 4:53am
But I think from time to time we should award ourselves with some fancy experience, not always, but sometimes. You know, life is too short to live economical the whole life.

funkynassau
5-31-18, 9:09pm

This sums up my brother, he never got out of Ontario, Canada, ever in his life. He died at 70 of cancer, barely knowing our province. He had money and time and health for most of his life, but he preferred to be judgemental and critical of those who chose to travel to as many places as they could afford to, and see as much as they could. I was one he criticized. I feel he missed out on a lot.

Yppej
6-9-18, 11:53am
There used to be a simple living meme "don't go shopping" (if you are in debt) and you would think "don't go on vacation" if you're in debt is also reasonable, but when I say that I am called jealous, petty, and told I have a vendetta. Vacations have become an entitlement for certain social classes. Yet millions of lower income folks never get to take one, both for financial reasons and because their jobs don't offer paid time off. Yet rather than advocating for these folks the jetsetters defend their privilege. I agree with the blog post: stop wasting your money on fancy experiences.

Teacher Terry
6-9-18, 12:00pm
It’s about choices . Some people choose to own a home, some take vacation, etc. If you never do anything for fun it’s not a life worth living.

Ultralight
6-9-18, 12:03pm
There used to be a simple living meme "don't go shopping" (if you are in debt) and you would think "don't go on vacation" if you're in debt is also reasonable, but when I say that I am called jealous, petty, and told I have a vendetta.

Yppej: One thing is true. You need a vacation!

Also: You are acting like a jealous, petty person with a vendetta. Walk like a duck and quack like a duck, people are going to think you are a duck.

Vacations have become an entitlement for certain social classes.

I think 4 weeks vacation time should the law for everyone. I also think we need living wage laws. The work I did in the labor movement was, in part, to get these sorts of policies into effect via union contract (since laws like this are damn near impossible).

Ever do any activism?

Yet millions of lower income folks never get to take one, both for financial reasons and because their jobs don't offer paid time off.

And I think this is wrong. People need a living wage and time off that is paid for. Again, I spent years in the labor movement advocating for these things. How long were you in the trenches for America's working families?

Yet rather than advocating for these folks the jetsetters defend their privilege. I agree with the blog post: stop wasting your money on fancy experiences.

Okay, that is just, like, your opinion, man!

Ultralight
6-9-18, 12:04pm
It’s about choices . Some people choose to own a home, some take vacation, etc. If you never do anything for fun it’s not a life worth living.

Amen, sister!

Yppej
6-9-18, 12:08pm
If you never do anything for fun it’s not a life worth living.

If your reason for living is hedonism. But for someone like UL it's all about amazing public service in the trenches.

Ultralight
6-9-18, 12:19pm
If your reason for living is hedonism. But for someone like UL it's all about amazing public service in the trenches.

You are quite visibly spiraling out of control now, grasping at anything to prevent your complete rhetorical obliteration here.

Ultralight
6-9-18, 12:19pm
Yppej: I am relentless and I will exhaust you.

Yppej
6-9-18, 12:28pm
Plus you can do personal stuff like post here while at work.

Ultralight
6-9-18, 12:37pm
Plus you can do personal stuff like post here while at work.

So petty. lol

"Mom, UL got 5 pieces of pepperoni on his slice of pizza. I only got four!"

iris lilies
6-9-18, 3:04pm
So petty. lol

"Mom, UL got 5 pieces of pepperoni on his slice of pizza. I only got four!"
UL be fair. You have to admit that work posting gives you the advantage in the game of “exhausting” her.

You white men get all the breaks.

Teacher Terry
6-9-18, 3:40pm
:~)

Ultralight
6-9-18, 3:56pm
UL be fair. You have to admit that work posting gives you the advantage in the game of “exhausting” her.

You white men get all the breaks.
Check out my time stamps. I have not posted at work in about a year, give or take.

frugal-one
6-10-18, 3:54pm
Check out my time stamps. I have not posted at work in about a year, give or take.

Give it up. Her jealousy if over the top!

Yppej
6-10-18, 4:10pm

If over the top, but what if not?

frugal-one
6-10-18, 9:21pm
If over the top, but what if not?

is over the top!

messengerhot
6-10-18, 11:15pm
I love great experiences, but they certainly don't have to be fancy. I just saw 6 egrets and two ospreys down at the rail trail.

Same here, I would love to travel with my family for experiences and bonding. I think that's more practical but not really spending too much. I make sure that we have enough for our daily home expense.

Ultralight
6-11-18, 7:20am

I really wish Yppej would let this go, not so much on here, but in her heart and mind. She is using up time and energy and emotion and intellect on something altogether rather trivial. It is especially trivial when you consider the real problems of our society and our world.

Yppej:

Is begrudging me really worth it?

Teacher Terry
6-11-18, 11:00am
Considering that we are putting children in cages like animals, are cozying up to dictators and ruining alliances with our trusted allies I would say UL’s trips are the least of this countries worries.

Alan
6-11-18, 2:08pm
Considering that we are putting children in cages like animals....You know those pictures you keep seeing and mentioning here were taken in 2014 right?

Teacher Terry
6-11-18, 2:22pm
Alan, some were but I have went online and looked up pictures taken just 6 days ago. Good try though. Obama didn't separate kids from parents. They only took into custody those kids that came alone and then reunited them with family members if they could be found. 2 totally different things.

Alan
6-11-18, 2:31pm
Alan, some were but I have went online and looked up pictures taken just 6 days ago. Good try though. Obama didn't separate kids from parents. They only took into custody those kids that came alone and then reunited them with family members if they could be found. 2 totally different things.It helps to look at the facts: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/06/06/does-the-u-s-keep-immigrant-children-in-cages/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.259ea0c6279b
Pay particular attention to the section labeled "The Facts". There is good and bad in there, and the bad is not new.

Teacher Terry
6-11-18, 3:29pm
Won't let me read it without paying.

iris lilies
6-11-18, 5:59pm
Won't let me read it without paying.
That is weird be ause I can load that page just fine.
Does WP have a max number of ti es one can visit their site per period?

Alan
6-11-18, 6:16pm
Won't let me read it without paying.That's ok, fact checkers are often uncomfortable reads anyway.

Teacher Terry
6-11-18, 7:06pm
Actually I love fact checkers and love to read different viewpoints on matters.

Yppej
6-11-18, 7:30pm
I really wish Yppej would let this go, not so much on here, but in her heart and mind. She is using up time and energy and emotion and intellect on something altogether rather trivial. It is especially trivial when you consider the real problems of our society and our world.

I would love to solve some big problems. Too bad I didn't see your post earlier or I could have invited myself to the summit with North Korea like Dennis Rodman did.

Ultralight
6-11-18, 8:41pm
I would love to solve some big problems. Too bad I didn't see your post earlier or I could have invited myself to the summit with North Korea like Dennis Rodman did.

Are you allowed to travel?

Yppej
6-11-18, 8:46pm
Sure, because I have no debts.

Ultralight
6-11-18, 9:01pm
Sure, because I have no debts.
Please do. Go to North Korea.

Yppej
6-11-18, 9:16pm
The summit is in Singapore.