PDA

View Full Version : Life's triumphs (conquering habitual behaviours).

Mrs-M
5-14-11, 6:23pm
Riding a wave of happiness right now. i.e. Sugar-free/reduction success! Just wanted to post a thread about it and in turn, promote and encourage others to add their own successes related to habitual triumphs (experienced over the course of your lifetime) in the way of conquering such addictive tendencies.

The war on habits (for me) started around 3 years ago (give or take a few months on either side). (Actually, earlier, if I count all the failed attempts I made prior to this session). The habit I'm referring to, smoking. Having smoked since I was in my mid teens and never being proud of it, I finally reached that point and stage in my life where I was sooo ready to beat it, sooo ready to finally quit! Not only did I have my own willpower and determination behind me this time (true willpower and determination), I had the determination and relentless fight of my family behind me, and they were ready to see my smoking habit (once and for all) brought to an end!

I recall all the ups and downs I experienced in trying to quit. Setbacks, bad days, good days, I experienced it all. But this time was different. My family was really behind me on this occasion (not that they weren't in the past), but somehow this time was unusually different. Aside from them being supportive and understanding, they were ruthless!

I remember this one particular day, I had a cigarette going in the ashtray and without warning, my oldest daughter methodically got up and walked over to the ashtray, grabbed my cigarette, then proceeded to stub it (over and over and over again) into a small ball of a nothing, all while staring me down (eye to eye). I remember her words as if spoken yesterday. "I want you to quit mom". It was a pivotal moment for me, just seeing that determined look in her eyes. A look I had never seen in her before...

Well, through several stumbles and falls, I managed to kick my smoking habit and I'm so happy to report, not once have I ever cheated! Not even a drag or a puff!

Now onto the front of sugar. (Another doozy for me)! Sugar and me have been best of friends for years. (Like for the past 10 or so years). Soda pop, chocolate, treats, baking, pastries, bad- bad. Luckily (for me), my metabolism allowed me to indulge freely without concern over weight gain, but still, it wasn't healthy, and that part of the habit had a way of gnawing away at me whenever I went on a sugar-binge. Feeling so guilty afterwards.

Good news, thanks to this forum along with many super great members, it looks like I've whipped my sugar habit (for the most part)! I've been doing so great and am sooo happy! So, on this beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon I take this moment to thank everyone involved in helping me reach my success! Hugs all around!

Madsen
5-14-11, 6:38pm
Awesome!

I'm a big fan of the '30 day challenge', where you pick a habit you'd like to change or cultivate, and just really go after it for those 30 days -- no excuses or exceptions!

peggy
5-14-11, 7:26pm
Quitting smoking. Hardest thing I've ever done! For years, past the cravings, i still dreamed of smoking. I am glad every day I quit. The pivotal time came for me when my son was about 2 and I saw how closely he was watching me smoke. Really unnerved me. Then i became pregnant and said this is it.

Mrs-M
5-15-11, 6:38pm
Hi Madsen. Oh, I so agree! 30 day challenges have pretty much become my daily bread here on the forum! So much fun!

Hi Peggy. Smoking in front of kids really does send such a negative and non-positive message to them doesn't it. Definitely doesn't portray much of a positive role-model for them. When my youngest was around four/five he'd ask me all sorts of hypothetical things related to cigarettes (when I was smoking). Like, "mom, do you think your cigarette could/would burn a hole in this/that if you touched it to it"? And, "would it hurt if I touched the end really fast"? Innocent questioning like that, but I never fancied his curious questioning and it made me nervous at times wondering if he'd branch out on his own and conduct his own experiments related to. Then there's the spanking my oldest son got one time for playing with a lit cigarette I had sitting in the ashtray while I was momentarily out of the room. Also, with my daughters, whenever they played house they'd pretend to smoke. And last but not least, there's our two boys who were just babies when they came into our lives and there I was smoking. Everything pointed in the direction of me needing to quit. Quitting not just for me and my own cause, but also for the goodness of my family.