PDA

View Full Version : Manhattanhenge - NYC - Sunset 5/29 and 5/30

dado potato
5-28-18, 1:56pm
The street grid of Manhattan will be aligned with the sun's position on the horizon at sunset 8:13 PM on May 29 and 8:12 PM on May 30.

As the sun sets between skyscrapers on either side of the street, given a clear evening, New Yorkers can observe a "Stonehenge" effect.

"Happy Manhattanhenge … and Fuggettaboutit!"

SteveinMN
5-28-18, 2:45pm
As the sun sets between skyscrapers on either side of the street, given a clear evening, New Yorkers can observe a "Stonehenge" effect.

"Happy Manhattanhenge … and Fuggettaboutit!"
As a former Noo Yawker I feel quallified to say another NY-appropriate response would be "Happy %&#^ing Manhattanhenge!" :laff:

It's actually a cool effect (though I've never seen it in person). Kind of like the "Firefall (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/02/15/firefall-wows-visitors-californias-yosemite-national-park-photography-optical-illusion/97936740/)" at Yosemite with a man-made element.

rosarugosa
5-28-18, 5:28pm
I wonder who figured that out?

Gardnr
5-29-18, 5:56am
I saw that effect in Denver on 16th street one year. It's cool:cool:

Tybee
5-29-18, 7:58am
I di dnot know what this was so looked it up and found this photo, very cool:

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/05/29/science/manhattanhengeqa01/manhattanhengeqa01-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

jp1
5-30-18, 10:13pm
I never heard about this until after I moved away so unfortunately I missed it.

I did, however, get to experience the wackiness of a friend's midtown Manhattan apartment at high noon a couple of times. She lived in a first floor apartment in an old 5 story tenement building. Her living room faced a narrow air shaft that received basically zero sunlight for approximately 23 hours and 55 minutes each day. But for the brief moment when the sun was directly overhead the sun would stream down into the airshaft and her living room would suddenly light up like a normal sunny room. Then a few minutes later the sun had moved on and just as quickly the room descended back into darkness.