PDA

View Full Version : Bike ride

HappyHiker
5-16-11, 8:35pm
Just came back from a pre-sunset bike ride and saw:

one mashed squirrel, sorry little one

twelve live rabbits, hopping or frozen into stillness hoping I wouldn't see them

one yippy dog who ran along for awhile--thanks for not biting me

pairs of mourning cooing on the wires

one ibis on a the lawn probing for food

one run-over snake, might have been a copperhead, didn't stop to see

many flowers, gave me garden envy, must weed, plant

a couple of moths, ate one bug, must remember to keep mouth closed

janharker
5-16-11, 8:41pm
I remember those nice rides. I had to give it up because within 10 minutes my toes went to sleep. Tried everything to solve it, to no avail. Stick with it; there will always be new things to see.

simplelife4me
5-22-11, 7:45am
Love my sunset rides. Will be back when my sprained ankle heals a little more ; ).

bicyclist
6-10-11, 12:49pm
I like the list of your observations while riding your bike. That is hard to do when driving, usually at higher speeds. Often I notice the presence of animals or people while riding that is difficult to do in a car. I hope to convince people to drive more slowly. That's going to be a long process!
Sincerely, Bicyclist.

flowerseverywhere
6-10-11, 1:44pm
what a great way to start your day.

The other day I saw an barn Owl and I spooked it so it silently flew to a tree and watched me. I hadn't seen an owl around here in years. I have seen many butterflies, snakes, turtles, deer, racoon, rabbits, fox, coyotes and birds of all sorts as my bicycle is my main means of transport. People don't believe me there is still that stuff around here but I see these animals all the time. Expecially at dusk, one of my favorite times to ride. I also like to look at the flowers and how people have landscaped their properties. I think as the years have gone by more and more people are doing the food not lawns thing, at least to some extent.

Another funny observation is I have huge flower gardens and tons of hummingbirds. I mentioned this to a neighbor who said she had never seen a hummingbird around here. I think you have to turn the TV off and sit outside to see them.

ctg492
6-26-11, 6:15am
I love my rides and the observations also. As I ride I find after 10 miles problems start leaving my thoughts, after 20 gone. I have upped my daily rides and am shooting for 30 each day. I have yet to run into cranky people on the trails or roads I ride. The rails to trails between two cities I use to get to the store, I think to myself wouldn't it be nice if everyone commuted like this? How happy everyone would be, not to mention healthier.
I saw a snapping turtle laying eggs a few weeks ago.

Float On
6-26-11, 8:39am
Here is what I saw on my kayak last night.
One turtle shell (sans turtle)
A huge bass jumping up for a bug (which was right after a guy on a tournament fishing boat went wizzing by me in the cove looking for the big one - sometimes ya just gotta paddle slower to see the big ones)
3 Blue Herons
Several different types of woodpeckers
various other birds
camp kids getting to go tubing
one little white goat playing on the cliffs (have seen him several times)
the sparkle of the sun reflecting on water
my kayak river shoe tan lines on my feet (always makes me giggle)

I have a vintage bike - but haven't been out for a ride this year (bad)

HappyHiker
7-6-11, 9:21pm
What a lovely paddle...life in the slow lane has much merit, paddle and pedal on, friends...

Tiam
7-6-11, 10:11pm
I have the same problem with my hands going to sleep, but I'm sticking with it.

fidgiegirl
7-6-11, 10:35pm
FloatOn, jealous!! Thanks to both of you for sharing.

Stella
7-7-11, 10:22am
Lovely! We do a "critter count" when we go out walking. The kids always stop and watch the fishermen to up the critter count and include a few fish in it.

Lately I've seen deer, egrets, herons, ducks, geese, hawks, turtles, sunfish, lots of different kinds of songbirds, squirrels, bunnies, a muskrat and a fox.

ctg492
10-24-11, 9:27pm
Today after much rain at night, sun just coming up and still cool out in MI I headed out. I had my lights on for safety, helmet too. Going over the rail road bridge I hit a bump and over compensated with the brakes. Bike slid out from under me, phone flew out of holder and splat I went down. During the seconds it took all I thought about was: NO don't let my bike go over the edge to the river, NO not my phone either...never thought about myself hitting the wood or worse.
I fared well, I know I will feel it in the morning. This was my first fall since I was a kid. I bounced and got back on and rolled away.

Float On
10-25-11, 7:30am
Sounds like time slowed down for you ctg492 during your fall, for you to have time to think about the bike and phone. Glad you are o.k.