PDA

View Full Version : EC (elimination communication) versus diapers.

Mrs-M
5-18-11, 11:22am
This topic is the result of Zoebird (SL member) who has practiced/is currently practicing EC with her children. Ever since she mentioned it in another thread topic, I cannot get it out of my mind.

So, here it is. As the simple living/frugal practitioners that we all are, which method would you choose given a choice? If you were raising a family? How about the option of doing both?

This thread topic isn't about pitting one against the other (per se), it's more about gathering a general fun consensus as to where everyone stands in relation to choosing one particular method over the other (or maybe both).

(EC) Elimination Communication is a toilet training practice in which a caregiver uses timing, signals, cues, and intuition to address an infant's need to eliminate waste.

P.S. At first I thought- "this is something I could never do", but as Zoebird explained more and more about it I realized the benefits of practicing such a method and in addition to all the benefits, it's a lot easier than most people think.

poetry_writer
5-18-11, 2:13pm
I had never heard of that until recently. I wouldnt do it myself, but that is only my 2 cents worth. It seemed time consuming and annoying to sit there holding a baby over a bowl or whatever to catch his or her poo poo. To each his own!

Zoebird
5-19-11, 4:50pm
Well, obviously I'm kind of obsessed with it. LOL

I tell people all the time that it was one of the best parenting decisions that we made. It was fun, fast, easy, and -- best of all -- clean. The difference in both time and effort of holding a child over the toilet to poop vs changing diapers is massive. For me, changing a poopy diaper was a 20 minute cleaning job. Holding him over the toilet for that was only as long as it took him to poop.

I assume, though, if you change poopy diapers a lot, then you get more adept at it than taking 20 minutes! LOL We just never did get adept with it, because we were adept with holding him over the toilet.

I will say that there is a start-up learning curve. It took about a week to 10 days to really figure out how to do it so that it was efficient. I would say that diapering probably takes less time to learn because we see it, culturally, our whole lives, and for many women, we did it as baby sitters.

I do tell people though, that if I'm providing child care, their kiddo -- of any age -- will be pottied. If the child is around Hawk's age, and not yet potty learned, i use a bucket (as many are afraid of the toilet) or explain to them that I am going to hold them over the toilet to go. People think I'm nuts, but it's way easier for me than diapering.

And, I can usually spot a signal about a mile off.

Mrs-M
5-19-11, 8:11pm
Hi Poetry_writer. Totally understandable. New ideas and methods and ways can be such a hard-sell at time, particularly when going it all alone- without someone to help guide you along (at least for the first while). I find support is so important for anyone branching out and trying someone new for the first time.

Zoebird. I'm obsessed with it too! And I've never even practiced it before! :) You've definitely put the bug in me mentioning it and talking about it. You touch on something so key Re: diapering, and how we (our whole lives) are exposed to it and around it. So true. No wonder EC (at times) probably proves to be such a hard-sell for some.

Speaking of adeptness when changing diapers. By the time my first baby was born I had changed hundreds of diapers (babysitting) and was right at home with the process, so I naturally thought, "I've gotten as good as I'm ever going to get at changing", but as each kid came along I'd surprise myself all over again! :)

Really do wish I had someone around like yourself when I was raising babies.

porcelain
5-19-11, 8:37pm
And, I can usually spot a signal about a mile off.

Serious (and potentially horrifying) question: can you tell when an adult needs to poop?

Mrs-M
5-19-11, 9:40pm
Originally posted by Porcelain.
Serious (and potentially horrifying) question: can you tell when an adult needs to poop? LOL!!! I think with babies it's essentially easier because they display cues (correct me if I'm wrong Zoebird). Like when a baby is getting ready to do a dirty in their diaper, they'll lift their legs (if they're lying down), grunt, and make a red face! In our house that was my cue to wait, let child finish, then change! DO NOT INTERUPT! :laff:

Zoebird
5-19-11, 10:15pm
Most people who are potty learned are loathe to soil themselves, and do they get *very* agitated if they can't get to a toilet quickly enough. I'm sure we would all recognize those signs!

Also, all humans have similar behaviors or "tells" when they are going to the toilet. I'm sure you've heard many in a neighboring toilet stall? or if you happen to be in the bathroom when you partner needs to go? We all pretty much behave the same -- like the babies do -- while going.

In regards to babies, they typically start by getting fidgety, and might make a few uncomfortable noises. It's pre-crying noises, and definitely prior to the effort that Mrs-M describes. :) For DS, once he knew he wanted to go in a toilet rather than soil himself (which was around 3-4 months old), he would wiggle and arch his back, then go "ugh ooophm." I would -- by this age -- have enough time to pull over the car, get him out of the seat, undress him adequately, and hold him over the bucket that I had in the car for these purposes. That's at least, 3-5 minutes?

Then, because you hold them in a biologically appropriate position to eliminate (eg, a supported, swatting like position), you didn't actually need to go through the effort face or lifting their legs (which puts their hips in an easier position for elimination), unless there was some issue with their stool (eg, dehydrated, etc).

Really interesting. But, yeah -- most people can tell *when* their children are going; ECers know before -- just enough time before in order to have them go in the toilet. And, eventually, the baby is "telling" you via the signal. Similar to how a grown man will do a "pee pee dance" if there is a long line.

Mrs-M
5-20-11, 4:06pm
Originally posted by Zoebird.
For DS, once he knew he wanted to go in a toilet rather than soil himself (which was around 3-4 months old), he would wiggle and arch his back, then go "ugh ooophm." I would -- by this age -- have enough time to pull over the car, get him out of the seat, undress him adequately, and hold him over the bucket that I had in the car for these purposes.The wonderful secret world of baby language/communication!

porcelain
5-21-11, 1:36pm
Oh I've gotcha, the signs you pick up in babies are more that they're *preparing* to go than that they just *need* to go. I wondered if there were particular ticks I could look out for in staff meetings or something :) Hahah just kidding, sort of!
I don't have kids but if I did I think I would give EC a try. I doubt I would be able to get them over a potty 100% of the time, but it would get them used to sitting on it and eliminate the need for so many diaper changes.

Florence
5-21-11, 3:57pm
I am well past the diapering phase but if I weren't I'd definitely give it a try!!

Mrs-M
5-21-11, 5:51pm
Thanks for dropping by and sharing your take on the issue Porcelain and Florence. I knew it would draw interesting replies as to how we SL'rs think.