PDA

View Full Version : Halloween shenanigans?

Gardenarian
10-16-18, 4:04pm
Is anyone getting dressed up or having parties?
I take part in our town Halloween parade, and I also like to be wearing a costume when handing out candy to trick or treaters.
This year I'm going as the Moomintroll character Snufkin. He's one of my fictional heroes.
https://www.moomin.com/en/characters/snufkin/

Teacher Terry
10-16-18, 4:06pm
When we lived in a neighborhood with lots of little kids I would dress up myself and all the dogs. The kids really enjoyed it.

catherine
10-16-18, 4:14pm
That sounds like so much fun. I burnt out badly in the Halloween costume department after hand-making Halloween costumes for 4 kids x 16-18 years. Almost 80 costumes. It was fun while it lasted.

Now our Halloween tradition is taking the grandsons to an awesome farm done up like a Halloween amusement park. Straw bale castles, mazes, petting zoo, corn-holes, Captain America throwing candy off a cherry picker, food trucks, photo op fall arrangements, hayrides, pumpkin patches. It's awesome. So we're scheduling our return to NJ around it. God knows if we stay up here I'm sure we will get NO Halloween action.

SteveinMN
10-16-18, 8:22pm
We're at a dance that night. Some folks opt to dress up and there's a prize for the best costume, but I don't usually think far enough ahead to do anything about it.

Tiam
10-16-18, 11:26pm
I love Halloween. It's my favorite. But like most things, it kind of takes having someone to share it with to make it really fun. Not my lot in life right now.

Gardenarian
10-17-18, 2:09am
Last year DH had a gig and I went to the parade alone. I dressed up as a ninja and was completely incognito. I saw many people I knew, but no one recognized me.
I really liked the experience!

I took off the head gear for the trick or treaters - a little too spooky.

As a pagan, Halloween / Samhain is an important holiday. Once the kids are gone I burn sage, light intention candles, eat candy, and read the Tarot. Usually Dd and cohorts stop by at some point - they like to make popcorn and go hang out at the graveyard. I'm, of course, too grown up for that :)

bae
10-17-18, 2:27am
My wife and I were married on Halloween.

I will be celebrating it very differently this year, at a seminar for sexworkers :-)

Yppej
10-17-18, 5:15am
New career for you Bae?

JaneV2.0
10-17-18, 12:51pm
I have friends who party around El Dia de los Muertos. My beloved's birthday was around that time, so we could have several days of celebration if we were so inclined. I prefer the Day of the Dead to Halloween, all in all--there's no annoying trick or treating, and you can celebrate with your friends on the Other Side.

bae
10-17-18, 2:43pm
New career for you Bae?

Nah, it's just medical outreach. Hmmm though.....

CathyA
10-17-18, 7:05pm
We don't get trick-or-treaters out here. When the kids were little, we went to my SIL's house and went with them. One year, my MIL (who was a wonderful woman), dressed as a witch and went with us. People would say "Oh! (not knowing she was old),....your hands are perfect!!" We'd all laugh, since they were real.

DH and I aren't very sociable, and we don't do things on Halloween, and like it that nobody comes to our house. (Bah humbug!) :~)