PDA

View Full Version : Help! Potting soil in my worm compost?

Bugeah
5-19-11, 11:24pm
I am very new to worm composting and just recently got my system set up. DH built the box, I added the paper clippings, food compost, and a little organic compost to add some more depth. I informed DH that absolutely no animal products should go into this compost since it was supposed to be added to my organic veggie garden when ready. After dinner tonight DH informed me, with a smile on his face, that he had dumped a bunch of fertilized potting soil into the compost bin. He thought he was being helpful. So my question is, is the fertilizer in the potting soil going to hurt the worms? I can't imagine it's good for them to be crawling around in chemical laden dirt. I obviously will not be putting this batch of compost into my organic veggie garden, but I'm more concerned about my little red wigglers. I don't have much experience with worms and am not sure if this will harm them. Any advise or experience is greatly appreciated.

Zoebird
5-20-11, 1:15am
they do in regular, non organic gardens; they should be fine.

Float On
5-20-11, 10:05am
Speaking of worms - I was turning over one of my raised bed gardens and had a worm that was more than 1/2" thick and about a foot long. Gave me a bit of a fright but I sure appreciate all its hard work.

Gardenarian
5-23-11, 6:03pm
The potting soil should be fine. Red wigglers are tough - just don't let them get overheated.

iris lily
5-24-11, 8:29am
Speaking of worms - I was turning over one of my raised bed gardens and had a worm that was more than 1/2" thick and about a foot long. Gave me a bit of a fright but I sure appreciate all its hard work.

I love it when I find big fat worms as big as small snakes. Luv me them worms.