PDA

View Full Version : the Rapture

peggy
5-20-11, 9:49am
So, who's going to leave a little pile of clothes tomorrow, and who will be looting on Sunday? Me, I've promised to take care of my sister's dog, although my daughter informed her we might be forced to eat him.:0!

JaneV2.0
5-20-11, 11:44am
I've always rather looked forward to the Rapture, though I doubt it will make much of a dent in this area. :devil:

treehugger
5-20-11, 11:47am
I'm actually meeting a group of 5 girlfriends for ice cream on Sunday, one of whom I think actually believes that the Rapture is tomorrow. It surprised me that she accepted the date. And if she doesn't show up, more ice cream for the rest of us.

bke
5-20-11, 11:52am
I don't understand this. Its my understanding that the Bible says that no one will know the day of the rapture. Not even Jesus. I'm not as up on things as others but would someone like to explain to me the logic behind May 21st?

treehugger
5-20-11, 11:55am
I'm pretty sure if you are looking for logical answers, you are going to be disappointed. :~)

bke
5-20-11, 12:01pm
Matthew 24:36 "However, no one knows the day or the hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows."

I googled may 21 and then found the verse in my Bible. I am not sure I'm even a believer but for anyone who is a believer to think man can know when this is taking place well, they've been led astray... There are going to be some very disappointed people by 6:30 tomorrow night.

kally
5-20-11, 12:12pm
Up here in Canada most people hardly know what this is, or they have a very vague idea. A rapture party is a great idea. I just love the business that take care of your pets after you have gone up; pay up front of course.

Spartana
5-20-11, 12:15pm
Matthew 24:36 "However, no one knows the day or the hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows."

I googled may 21 and then found the verse in my Bible. I am not sure I'm even a believer but for anyone who is a believer to think man can know when this is taking place well, they've been led astray... There are going to be some very disappointed people by 6:30 tomorrow night.

I heard that the idea came from a former civil engineer who did some kind of nurmerilogical equation and came up with that date as the start of the apocalypse. Then he broadcast that info over various forms of media - internet, airwaves, etc... I'm surprised anyone believes him, but then I won't be going anywhere anyways :devil:!!

Peggy - in my case it's more likely my dogs eating me :-)! But I'm locked and loaded and prepared for all those other unbelivers who will try and steal my Twinkie stash :D!

Spartana
5-20-11, 12:18pm
Up here in Canada most people hardly know what this is, or they have a very vague idea. A rapture party is a great idea. I just love the business that take care of your pets after you have gone up; pay up front of course.

Well I do believe all dogs go to heaven (can't say the same for cats though ;-)!)! But seriously, being a non-christain & non-religious person, why are animals denied entry into heaven. I would think that of all the beings out there, including humans, dogs have a soul (again, can't say the same for cats ;-)!.

And for my pre-apocalypse party tonight, I will watch teh TV show "Super Natural" - two hunky guys fighting demons and staving off the apocalypse - and eat popcorn!

catherine
5-20-11, 12:43pm
Well I do believe all dogs go to heaven (can't say the same for cats though ;-)!)! But seriously, being a non-christain & non-religious person, why are animals denied entry into heaven. I would think that of all the beings out there, including humans, dogs have a soul (again, can't say the same for cats ;-)!.

And for my pre-apocalypse party tonight, I will watch teh TV show "Super Natural" - two hunky guys fighting demons and staving off the apocalypse - and eat popcorn!

When we get to the pearly gates, the dogs will probably be closer to the right hand of God than we will.

goldensmom
5-20-11, 1:33pm
If the rapture occurs on the 21st, tonight, next Wednesday or whenever that would be fine with me, although the Bible says no one knows the time or date. On the upside, my birthday is the 22nd and I have already received my birthday present and my birthday dinner is the 20th so I'm all set rapture or no rapture.

Incidentally, I'm not really sure about dogs in heaven but they will be on the new earth I'm certain of it.

jennipurrr
5-20-11, 3:00pm
When did all this May 21st rapture stuff get ramped up? It seemed to come out of nowhere and caught me by surprise! I've been preparing for 2012 and now this blindsides me, haha. I haven't met anyone who actually believes this and I live in the deep South with lots of those kind of Christians, so I keep wondering if this an elaborate internet hoax.

Rogar
5-20-11, 3:17pm
I heard on the news today about a lady who thinks May 21 will be the end. She took all of her money out of the bank and went out and bought life insurance. True story (well...if you can believe the news).

Florence
5-20-11, 3:29pm
Well, everyone must check in by the 22nd or we'll think you've been raptured and we got left...LOL!!

Greg44
5-20-11, 3:40pm

I am pretty much in the camp that all animals have souls and will be with us in the after life - and yes that means CATS! As for my Sunday plans, the same routine, to church, long nap after Church and watching the new Jesse Stone/Tom Selleck made for TV movie in the p.m.

JaneV2.0
5-20-11, 3:42pm
"I would think that of all the beings out there, including humans, dogs have a soul (again, can't say the same for cats ;-)!."

The only creatures in danger of not having immortal souls are some humans, IMO.

Alan
5-20-11, 3:43pm
Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

I was planning on beginning the process of opening the pool tomorrow so the grandkids could enjoy it on the Memorial Day weekend.

Should I bother?

benhyr
5-20-11, 3:56pm
Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

I was planning on beginning the process of opening the pool tomorrow so the grandkids could enjoy it on the Memorial Day weekend.

Should I bother?

Time to apply a variation on Pascal's Wager to everything. If you prep the pool and end up in the Rapture, you're only out a few hours and likely won't care. On the other hand, if you don't prep the pool and nothing happens, then you've just brought a little sadness to next weekend. Better off prepping I'd say.

catherine
5-20-11, 4:04pm
Boy, and after all my work paying down debt on my Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover. I guess I should have just had fun with the money--(I sure hope debtors aren't on the "leave behind" list, like the eternal version of Debtor's Prison.)

Kestrel
5-20-11, 4:21pm
If cats aren't going, I'm not going. Simple as that.

Of course, I'm not going anyway, so nothing to be concerned about.

peggy
5-20-11, 4:55pm
Boy, and after all my work paying down debt on my Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover. I guess I should have just had fun with the money--(I sure hope debtors aren't on the "leave behind" list, like the eternal version of Debtor's Prison.)

Yea, I think pretty much eveyone on the 'B' ship will be left behind. Lawyers, bankers, etc...;)

Go ahead and open the pool Alan. If what's left behind is supposed to be hell, then a large pond of water just might come in handy.:~)

lhamo
5-20-11, 6:32pm
May 21 in CHina and my family and I are all still here, and I haven't seen souls wafting up to the heavens as I look out over Beijing from the 30th floor. Probably not the target demographic. Well, if all those American evangelicals float away, Im sure there are plenty of folks from China ready and willing to move into their split levels.

lhamo

goldensmom
5-20-11, 7:18pm
If cats aren't going, I'm not going. Simple as that.

Of course, I'm not going anyway, so nothing to be concerned about.

Whenever the rapture occurs I plan to participate. My dogs love cats (mostly as toys) so, Serendipity, I will be sure to look for your cats and care for them, what do they look like?

Anne Lee
5-20-11, 8:02pm
The rapture is different than going to heaven. It's a fairly recent doctrine, popularized in Hal Lindsey's Late Great Planet Earth. According to people who believe in the rapture (I'm not one of them, even though I'm a Christian) there will be a taking away of believers so they don't have to suffer the trials of the tribulation, a time of extreme suffering and hardship that will occur at the end of the earth as we know it.

Theologians differ about whether animals go to heaven. My view is that they don't have souls because they can't sin (the ability to make intentional moral decisions comes from the soul, according to traditional understanding) but they do have personalities. I think animals are in. God's mercies are over ALL his works.

janharker
5-20-11, 8:52pm
Lhamo, I've been thinking about the clock. Seems to me that this will have to be a rolling rapture, as the sun passes the time zones.

pony mom
5-20-11, 9:36pm
The thought of dying is much more appealing to me if my late pets will be there to greet me. According to some people who can communicate with those who have passed on, your pets will race to be the first to greet you.

As a non-religious, slightly spiritual person, I think I'll be hanging out with all the other fun people who are left behind.

Kestrel
5-21-11, 12:05am
I don't have any pictures of them to share, but my cats are beautiful, as all cats are! Cinda is short-haired, black with a white nose and whiskers and chin and breast and belly. She's a bit stand-offish, but she's beautiful. Oscar is short-haired, a long cat with long legs, grey and white large patches. He's very affectionate and stubborn -- he gets on the counters and table and will not be disciplined not to. He's also a climber -- loves to get on top of cabinets and what-not. Albie is only half ours (he likes us better than his owners) and he's long-haired black with white, much like Cinda. He's very affectionate too. All three sleep with us if Cinda will let them (she's the boss) and they're not actually very close to her.

Thank you for keeping watch for them! I'll let them know they'll be well loved! :) :) :)

Kestrel
5-21-11, 12:07am
That last post was in reply to goldensmom, who offered to keep an eye out for my kitties. I pushed "reply" and obviously it didn't "take". And it didn't want to post my message either, so I tried again, and got a message that apparently I've posted a duplicate of the last post -- I'm sorry! Time for bed ...

ApatheticNoMore
5-21-11, 1:43am
I haven't met anyone who actually believes this and I live in the deep South with lots of those kind of Christians, so I keep wondering if this an elaborate internet hoax.

that sounds entirely plausible.

Tradd
5-21-11, 9:31am
The rapture and all that accompanies it are not a part of my church's dogma, doctrine, and tradition, so this whole thing has me shaking my head. The fringes of American Christianity (aka Harold Camping) are entertaining, to be sure!

Spartana
5-21-11, 11:08am
That last post was in reply to goldensmom, who offered to keep an eye out for my kitties. I pushed "reply" and obviously it didn't "take". And it didn't want to post my message either, so I tried again, and got a message that apparently I've posted a duplicate of the last post -- I'm sorry! Time for bed ... You have to press "reply with quote" beneath the persons post you are responding to keep their post in a quote box.

My kittiys (3 of my own and 3 of my Mom's) have all gone "over the rainbow bridge" (a poem about your pets meeting ou in heaven) but if the rapture is today I don't think I'll be joiing them :devil:!!

Here's one of the kittys - you guys who make it up stairs today can take care of him for me :-)!

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=386&d=1305990614

goldensmom
5-21-11, 2:02pm
Last pet post. One way I deal with the loss of a pet is to imagine them young and healthy, running to greet me when I ‘cross the rainbow bridge’. Real or not it eases the pain while giving me time to process the loss.

CathyA
5-21-11, 3:41pm
DH and I have gotten into a habit of going to a local Chinese buffet every Saturday for dinner, after we've worked hard in the yard all day.
I'll be ticked if any of the cooks suddenly disappear. And I hope I'm not left there by myself, since DH is a believer, and I'm not.
Guess I'll just have to finish his plate for him. :~)

Gina
5-21-11, 4:03pm
When did all this May 21st rapture stuff get ramped up?

According to a report I saw on the news, there is some 89 y.o. fundie radio preacher who is behind much of it. Or at least this specific date. Thus far he has raked in donations of over $72,000,000.

Nice little business that - separating the fools from their money.

Kestrel
5-21-11, 6:09pm
More kitties ... over the years and living in the boonies, we've had LOTS of cats, all dear to our hearts, and have cried many a tear when we had to "let them go". We live in "the city" now and only have 2.5. When we get together with the kids we all tell stories about all our cats (and we had one dog) and laugh and laugh and laugh. I would love to be reunited with all of them!

Well, it's 4:07 in Idaho right this minute, Mountain Time, and I haven't heard anything about the East Coast -- so they're either ALL GONE, or no news is good news! keep smilin' ...

RosieTR
5-21-11, 6:10pm
I heard that the idea came from a former civil engineer who did some kind of nurmerilogical equation and came up with that date as the start of the apocalypse. Then he broadcast that info over various forms of media - internet, airwaves, etc... I'm surprised anyone believes him, but then I won't be going anywhere anyways :devil:!!

Peggy - in my case it's more likely my dogs eating me :-)! But I'm locked and loaded and prepared for all those other unbelivers who will try and steal my Twinkie stash :D!

ROTFL! But I think you're mixing this up with the CDC's recommendations for the Zombie Apocalypse rather than the Rapture :laff: (for those who have seen Zombieland)

Wildflower
5-21-11, 6:20pm
Me and everyone I know is still here. LOL ;)

And FTR I am NOT going to heaven unless my beloved doggies and kitties are there!

Zigzagman
5-21-11, 7:35pm
May 21, 2011 from Juanita Jean's Beauty Shop (http://www.juanitajean.com/)

Uh oh (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43121772/ns/world_news-europe/).

Iceland’s most active volcano started erupting Saturday, with a white plume shooting 18,000 feet into the sky, scientists said.
The eruption was followed by around 50 small earthquakes, the largest of which measured 3.7 on the Richter Scale, according to Iceland’s meteorological office.

Peace

Spartana
5-21-11, 9:30pm
May 21, 2011 from Juanita Jean's Beauty Shop (http://www.juanitajean.com/)

Uh oh (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43121772/ns/world_news-europe/).

Iceland’s most active volcano started erupting Saturday, with a white plume shooting 18,000 feet into the sky, scientists said.
The eruption was followed by around 50 small earthquakes, the largest of which measured 3.7 on the Richter Scale, according to Iceland’s meteorological office.

Peace There was an earthquake in San Diego, one in Mexico, some sort of other natural disasters around the planet, people killed. Just another day of livin' on the old rock! I'm a bit disappointed as I was going on a trip tomorrow and I figured I'd have my pick of hotel rooms :-)!

Spartana
5-21-11, 9:36pm
ROTFL! But I think you're mixing this up with the CDC's recommendations for the Zombie Apocalypse rather than the Rapture :laff: (for those who have seen Zombieland) Oh yes, the great Zombie Apocalypse!! Fueled by the powerbar of zombiehood - a stale old twinkie, guareenteed to outlast a nuclear explosion! I wonder if that's how all the new breed of Zombies got so fast. "Dawn of the Dead" was a piece of cake (er... Twinkie) for humans compared to what was in store for them in "28 Days" (and "28 Days Later", et al).

P.S. the TV show "Family Guy" also did a mutant-zombie-end of the world show which had them all going to a twinkie factory too.

Florence
5-22-11, 11:10am
Anyone out there?? DH and I and our 3 cats are still here.

SoSimple
5-22-11, 1:11pm
I'm still here, but I kind of expected to be still here one way or another.

The Rapture theology has been around since at least the 1920's. My grandparents (devout Brethren (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_Hall_Brethren)) almost didn't get married because they believed it was imminent. I'm not sure if they were pre-millennialists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premillennialism) or post-millennialists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmillennialism), but for sure there was going to be a rapture.

My own parents believe in the rapture also, though firmly believe that the date and hour is unknown per the verse in Matthew. I grew up being taught that I was living in the "end-times" (of course, so were my grandparents who thought Mussolini was the anti-christ), and had better be prepared (i.e. saved) just in case tonight was the hour Jesus returned.

peggy
5-22-11, 1:51pm
Still here. Thank goodness I don't have to eat my sister's dog after all! Whew! He's a very sweet, but incredibly stinky little fellow.

catherine
5-22-11, 3:47pm
Boy, we'd all save ourselves a lot of grief (and that poor retired motorman would have saved a lot of money) if we could just participate fully in each moment. Then every day would be a Rapture.