PDA

View Full Version : my stupid driving today

Zoe Girl
11-11-18, 7:02pm
To start off I feel a little stupid, I got my car from my dad. He takes very good care of things, he had a chart of all the oil changes and work done. So it felt great to get this car that was 200K miles. It is a Honda CRV. I was really sure my dad said it was an all wheel drive. However I notice it slips and slides more than the Subarus that I have owned.

So I tried to go up to the foothills outside of Boulder today, while it was snowing, because I thought the car was AWD. Apparently it is not, and I had to turn around, I had some scary slippery moments, and I tried my chains but they got me out of where I was at however they were not the right size. I was too nervous to stop to pick them up so I left them.

My goal now is to get a manual transmission Subaru outback in less than a year, before next winter. I really loved them when I have had them and they had the best snow handling ever.

Guess I am not so invincible because I learned to drive in the mountains.

bae
11-11-18, 7:32pm
You will find you will have better AWD performance with the auto transmission in the Subaru.

Zoe Girl
11-11-18, 7:44pm
Good to know bae, I really like manual but it is easier to drink tea with an automatic

Gardenarian
11-13-18, 12:34pm
I think in snow - a two-wheel drive with snow tires beats an AWD with regular tires.

Float On
11-13-18, 12:54pm
I was always used to switching over to 4 wheel drive but my car has automatic 4 wheel drive sensors. It always freaks me out when it switches over itself. I think I miss the control.
I also miss manual transmissions but it seems hard to find them these days, even in trucks. My stupid knees however appreciate auto transmission. Last time I drove manual I hurt for 3 days.

SteveinMN
11-13-18, 8:30pm
I think in snow - a two-wheel drive with snow tires beats an AWD with regular tires.
If one counts the number of SUVs and pickups seen in the ditches every time it snows, you'd conclude this is true.

sweetana3
11-14-18, 6:14am
Steve, that is our thought as well. Overdriving for the conditions.