PDA

View Full Version : FAA requiring me to spend more money

dmc
12-7-18, 12:09am
Well I have to upgrade my transponder before 2020 if I want to fly within 30 miles of a large city or more than 3000’ over the Gulf of Mexico.

General Aviation is declining and mid air collisions are basically non existent, but this little gadget which will also broadcast my tail number is going to cost me between $3000-$5000 . But if I hurry and comply the faa will send me $500 to help out.

Gee thanks.

bae
12-7-18, 2:02pm
I feel much safer now.

Teacher Terry
12-7-18, 2:41pm
What a rip-off!

Tybee
12-7-18, 3:35pm
Wouldn't this actually be a good thing to have, from a national security standpoint? Obviously, not you dmc, and too bad you have to pay so much. What am I missing?

dmc
12-7-18, 4:32pm
Wouldn't this actually be a good thing to have, from a national security standpoint? Obviously, not you dmc, and too bad you have to pay so much. What am I missing?

Radar is not going away. It’s not like you couldn’t turn it off by pulling a circuit breaker, or just not having it installed.

dmc
12-7-18, 4:35pm
I wonder when they go to self driving cars if the government won’t start having something similar required. We can’t have the old self drivers running around without position reports.

dmc
12-7-18, 4:37pm
I feel much safer now.

The problem now is to many just look at their glass panels or iPads, and not out the window. I have traffic alerts now, but sometimes I’ll see a plane that doesn’t show up.

Williamsmith
12-8-18, 4:17am
Seems rather generous of the FAA to distribute taxpayers money to the tune of possibly 50 million dollars in the form of a subsidy. The FAA says, “Quit squawkin’.”

dmc
12-8-18, 6:10am
Seems rather generous of the FAA to distribute taxpayers money to the tune of possibly 50 million dollars in the form of a subsidy. The FAA says, “Quit squawkin’.”

They are finding that many are choosing not to comply with the mandate. How would you feel if to use the interstate you had to add a several thousand dollar device to your car, something that does nothing for you.

im going to comply, it’s just another of many rules the faa requires that I don’t agree with.

Tybee
12-8-18, 7:33am
They are finding that many are choosing not to comply with the mandate. How would you feel if to use the interstate you had to add a several thousand dollar device to your car, something that does nothing for you.

im going to comply, it’s just another of many rules the faa requires that I don’t agree with.

I would hate that. It also sounds like it doesn't do anything for national security, either, if those intent on harm are just going to disable it.

dmc
12-8-18, 7:50am
The intended use is to be able to stage planes closer together in busy airspace. So if your flying into New York, ATC will be able to have the arriving planes closer together. Instead of radar, it will be gps information.

The main reason I’ll need it, is it is required if I want to fly higher than 3000’ over the Gulf. If I want to fly down to Key West I would either have to overfly the islands or low. It is much safer to fly high within gliding distance of land. And it would be very inconvenient having to stay 30 miles outside of the larger city’s.