PDA

View Full Version : Bumper pads (cribs).

Mrs-M
5-21-11, 5:57pm
With all the talk on "the value and importance and tradition of the baby crib", I have to ask, did you go with bumper pads in your home or pass on them?

Tenngal
5-21-11, 6:10pm
yes, I did use them, did not want the babies head hitting slats in the crib side. They stayed in a basinett for about two months, then on to a cradle for a couple of months. I am guessing they were about 4 or 5 months old when moved to a crib. Cannot remember if we always put them on thier back or stomach, but it is different now.

Wildflower
5-21-11, 6:17pm
I did have crib bumper pads with my kids and when my grandkids were babies when they stayed here the crib bedding I purchased had bumper pads that came with the set. We just recently put the crib into storage and I was a little sad. Doubtful that there will be anymore babies at our house in the future. The grandkids are growing up way too fast!

I don't consider bumper pads to be essential or anything, but they sure were cute in the crib with the matching bedding and overhead crib mobile. :)

maribeth
5-22-11, 10:53am
I bought some, but never got around to making the cover for them that would match DD's quilt, so we never used them. I don't think DD ever seriously bonked her head.

They are sort of out of vogue now, for safety reasons.

ejchase
5-22-11, 4:30pm
We don't use them because of safety reasons.

Because of SIDS, pediatricians advise you put nothing soft in the crib with the baby - not even a blanket or a stuffed animal. We use a swaddle cloth that fastens with velcro to swaddle our 2-month old and absolutely nothing else and she seems to do fine.

Mrs-M
5-22-11, 6:51pm
Hi everybody! Thanks for the visit. Both cribs I have were used when I got them and the first one came with a set of bumper pads. I think I used/outfitted the crib with the bumper pads for all of about 3 weeks, then decided one day (while changing the crib bedding) to remove them, fold them up, and tuck them away on the top shelf of my daughters closet. That was it for bumper pads in our house... I remember they were sooo in during the 80's!