PDA

View Full Version : Bought an old Kirby vacuum cleaner at a garage sale for $20

kally
5-21-11, 6:13pm
I need to order some bags, but I will let you all know soon whether this was a good deal or me throwing $20 away.

Anyone else ever used a Kirby?

Mrs-M
5-21-11, 6:49pm
Never used one before, but a little heads-up on something. I have an Electrolux vacuum from the 80's and for the longest time I hadn't been happy with the suction, then an electrical short developed in the flexible hose causing the power-wand to cut in and out (on-off) while in use. PITA! So I dropped by our local vacuum sales and repair centre to see if a replacement was available and it was. The owner told me that woven hoses are notorious for developing pin-holes in them with age, reducing the vacuums ability to suck. As luck would have it she had a replacement for me (in stock), and so I left with a brand spanking new hose, a modern rubberized coated one and wow! My 25 year old vacuum sucks better now than it did when it was brand new! So, depending on the type of hose your Kirby has, you may or may not have to replace it with a new one. The hose I bought came in under $80. Money well spent!

KayLR
5-21-11, 6:53pm
I have had a Kirby for about 21 years. I've always liked the strength of it, but as I'm getting older, I am looking to trade in for a lighter model of something or another. It's pretty heavy. I've never had any problem with it; have it serviced every couple years.

CathyA
5-21-11, 7:04pm
I used a Kirby for quite awhile. It was okay. Like Kay said, it was pretty heavy. And if the bag breaks, your material bag will need to somehow be cleaned. The one thing I did like about it was that the heavy things it picked up would drop down and be easy to retrieve (toys, etc.).
It has a thing that turns real fast inside, to create the suction......which isn't the best way to create suction. Many years ago, I switched to a Riccar.
My Kirby cost around $500.........so I'd say you should be okay, having spent only $20 on it. Let us know how it turns out.

danna
5-21-11, 8:26pm
We bought a brand new (yes I bought expensive things brand new back in those days) Kirby back in 1977 when we were moving into a new house. Our builder had left us a horrible mess of plaster and plaster dust that we ended up cleaning because be had in move in the next day. The plaster dust killer the nice, light, cute, turquiose light vacuum I had that you pulled around so easily...I was very sad so we bought the Kirby to replace it.
I give the Kirby credit for keeping the rugs in that house like new for many, many years. I also credit it with part of the damage I have done to my back lugging it up and down the stairs...lol
I did have to replace that hose for the reason Mrs.M mentioned but the vacuum itself lasted forever, I only gave it aways when we moved to a house with central vac.
Good luck hope it works out for you....we had friends who bought a used one back in the eighties and they used it forever...

porcelain
5-22-11, 1:28pm
My mom had a Kirby while I was growing up, I think it was purchased from a yard sale or the newspaper, I *know* it wasn't new...she swore by it for 20 years. She said it was the best at picking up stuff - it was heavy as a beast though and I remember my dad having to replace the belt a lot.

bagelgirl
5-23-11, 12:33pm
Funny that I should stumble across this post. All my adult life I have been using my mother's Kirby vacuum that she bought in 1954. No typo there, 1954. I even still have the instruction booklet. I had no attachments though and just a couple of months ago I thought perhaps I should move into the 21st century vacuum wise. I did some research and ended up with a Eureka. The new beast is much heavier than the Kirby ????????

However, I am spiffing up the old Kirby and donating it to a garage sale to raise money for abandoned animals. I'm hoping they get $20 for it and another family gets a few years of use. Although probably not 57 years!!

kally
5-23-11, 1:25pm
Kirby vacuums with all the attachments are advertised on ebay for quite a lot of money. I guess they are vintage items now.

kally
5-27-11, 3:03pm
Update" Bought some bags and they were a bit pricey, but this is one powerful vacuum. It really isn't heavier than what I was using before and really there are only a few plastic parts on it. Lots of metal and it is strong. I am happy with it so far.

Float On
5-27-11, 3:25pm
baglegirl - in 6 mts you may wish you'd kept the Kirby. I can't believe how disposable most vacuums are. I think I've gone thru 6 in 21 years of marriage.