PDA

View Full Version : Truck has died

Greg44
5-22-11, 8:46pm
My little red work truck has died. A 1994 Toyota PU, water in oil - head gasket? Cracked engine block? A shop I trust very much said repair would be thousands. I had already begun to think it was time to update my transportation.

I have opted to sell the truck as is. Someone could replace the engine with a rebuilt or replace the head gasket, etc.

How would I determine the value of vehicle that is dead?

I hate the thought of having to go shopping for a new vehicle. I really don't want another truck, but it is hard to be a home owner and not have a truck. I put on about 500 miles a month - mostly back and forth to work and running erands. Even that is a little high as this time of year I ride my bicycle to work.

This is the third red truck I inherited from our old family business - so I have not shopped for a vehicle for "myself" since I probably 1979!

I think I want a larger PU this time. Like a Ford F150 with extended cab, a Toyota Tundra? Any recommendations?

redfox
5-22-11, 9:18pm
Ah, sad. Re: value - as the shop what the parting out value might be. Maybe investigate donating it too - many non=profits take vehicles that are not running & you get the tax donation.

Mrs-M
5-22-11, 9:36pm
Awww... It's so strange how we tend to build close relationships with mechanical things isn't it. There have been two occasions now (since DH and I got married) where we got all sad and bummed as a result of waving a last and final goodbye to our trusty old friends.

P.S. Greg44, just by getting a feel of the picture of you, I'd say you'd look GREAT in a Toyota! :)

Florence
5-23-11, 8:20am
My DH got a Ford Ranger several years ago and it has been a really good vehicle. No problems--just gas and usual maintenance--at 134,000 miles.

(It is dark blue, not red.)

Poco Pelo
5-23-11, 11:03am
i'd replace the head gasket and see what that gets ya. it's a afternoon or weekend if you know how to hold a wrench and a 2-3 hundred bucks if not. And of course the ultimate decideing issue.......did you name it ?:~)

Greg44
5-23-11, 4:00pm
i'd replace the head gasket and see what that gets ya. it's a afternoon or weekend if you know how to hold a wrench and a 2-3 hundred bucks if not. And of course the ultimate decideing issue.......did you name it ?:~)

My wrenching abilities are nill -- My dd named it old red, it is older than she is! It was the first (and only) vehicle we got brand new. Actually my parent's business won it in a sales contest and I've had it since day one...

Poco Pelo
5-23-11, 6:06pm
ok so you named it...... is it worth say $500 to keep it ?
How about 2K for a new motor ? is it still worth that to you ? selling it with water in the oil won't fetch much.... to me it's a $1-200 dollar project, to you it's Ole Red :(

Bronxboy
5-23-11, 6:50pm
Two or three hundred bucks is wildly optimistic in a major metro area. $1500 is more like it. $200 wouldn't get the valve cover gasket replaced on a 4-cylinder engine. :0!

Spartana
5-24-11, 2:33pm
I'm not recomending this product - never used it - but if you think it's a blown head gasket or even a cracked head (more likely your problem than a cracked engine block) there is a product that is suppose to seal and repair that by just pouring it to the radiator (must flush it first). You can goggle it (think it's called "blown head gasket" or "Steel Seal" or something like that. Probably not a permanent fix (although it says it is) but if you are going to unload the truck cheaply anyways, it might be worth a try to get some more miles out of it. Of course it might actually damage the engine or head further so it's your call. Also, if it's just the head gasket, you might shop around for a lower priced mechanic as that is something super easy to repair (I've done tons myself) and shouldn't be too expensive. If it's a crack in the head, they can repair that pretty easy too - often times just by grinding down the head a bit if it's warped (common if it overheated), but a cracked engine block would have to be replaced. Too expensive for an old truck IMHO.

See even girls like to get dirty working on things :-)

editted to add: there are lots of simple tests that can be done by a mechanic to determine what exactly is wrong with your truck (gasket, cracked or warped head, cracked or warped block), like compression tests, etc.. and some that just involve checking your exhaust or adding antifreeze and seeing where it comes out, etc.. BUT, anything you get done will cost money - maybe more thanb the truck is worth (hassle, time, and moneywise) so if you don't wan to be bothered, then you can always sell to a dealer (Car Max), a discounter that buys "All Cars running or not!" (tons out there), or donate to your favorite charity - again, they'll usually take it running or not, take care of and pay for all paperwork transactions, tow it away free, and you get a tax break. That's the way I'd go "Lazy-Style"!!

Greg44
5-24-11, 3:10pm
The repair place put in the "stop leak" stuff - but it did not work.

On the plus side I rode my bicycle to my dentist appointment today. It is a beautiful Spring day. It was probably about 10 miles RT.

My SIL is letting giving me her car to use while I am truck shopping. I will then pass it on to my niece when I am finished. She was ready to give it away so she signed over the title to me. I can bike around, but there are times when I need to drive...like picking up dd from school, etc.

Poco Pelo
5-24-11, 6:07pm
Prayer works better than stop leak stuff, Faith healers work better than....... LOL