PDA

View Full Version : How to keep grass from covering stepping stones

kally
5-23-11, 5:42pm
Last year my dh put down a path of lovely stepping stones in the lawn. But the grass tries to almost cover the stones. The weedeater doesn't seem to grab the grass, how best to keep it off please.

Any tricks?

Mrs-M
5-23-11, 5:51pm
You bet, you have to edge all around each stepping stone. I use a small garden trowel for jobs like that. Never remove more than about a half an inch of grass (along with thatch), otherwise the areas around your stones will look sick-like. All you are after accomplishing is tidying up the edge and neatening it.

puglogic
5-23-11, 7:01pm
We always have to turn the weedeater on edge to whack the grass fringe off the stones. Not good for the weedeater, but it works :)

goldensmom
5-23-11, 11:02pm
I use a Ryobi 24v string trimmer that has an edging position. I also discovered a technique that works for me. I run the trimmer over the stone, not the grass round the stone. In the process of ‘trimming the stone‘, the trimmer actually cuts the grass along the edges. It is a lot faster and results in a more uniform trim than using the edging position on the trimmer.

Merski
5-24-11, 6:37am
I have heard to take a kettle of boiling water out to pour on weeds...it's supposed to kill them.

Jemima
5-24-11, 11:28am
A spraying with vinegar should also work. It doesn't ruin the soil like salt would as it rinses out with the next rain. (It won't burn your foot either, should you have poor aim!)