PDA

View Full Version : television series based on foreign series.

Tiam
5-23-11, 9:00pm
There seems to be a few television series coming out based on series from other countries: Shameless. Wilfred. The Killing. The Office. Not that it's new. All in the family, Sanford and Son were imported stories. Anyone have preferences or opinions of any?

kally
5-23-11, 9:16pm
I always prefer the British Version - Robin's Nest/Three's Company etc.

kally
5-23-11, 9:18pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_television_series_based_on_Britis h_television_series

Tiam
5-23-11, 11:04pm
I watched a few Shameless UK, and realized the US ones were nearly identical, yet I couldn't really decide which I preferred.

Kestra
5-23-11, 11:08pm
From what I recall and have seen of both, I much preferred the UK version of "Whose Line is it Anyway?". The US version seemed to have such harsh censors so couldn't be nearly as dirty as the UK version. And the US version had Drew Carey, who only annoys me. And they had specific performers do the same games every show in the US. That's going back quite a few years though, so not sure if my recollections are that true.

pony mom
5-23-11, 11:28pm
Somehow the US can't make decent versions of some UK shows. Coupling, which is such a funny, very clever show, was just a bit forced and crude when made here. I think there have been two versions of Fawlty Towers and both stunk. I prefer the UK version of The Office, mostly because David Brent is so embarassing to watch. I did enjoy our version of My Worst Week but I think only me and my family actually watched it.

I tend to watch a lot of British television and I think their shows are usually better mainly because their actors are better. Most of them are well-trained and have extensive theater experience (as opposed to the US, where if you look good you are an 'actor' and get to be on a show). Just watch an episode of As Time Goes By and it's as if you're observing these people--they are so natural when performing. Even a silly show such as Keeping Up Appearances--the characters are extreme but believable and they're not obviously overacting for a laugh. I think there's going to be a US version of Prime Suspect. Let's see what they do to that great series. I dunno, maybe I'm a snob but I think American tv is disappointing.

On that note, the only show I've really enjoyed this season, The Chicago Code, has just been cancelled. Just saw the last episode and wish another network would pick it up. Intelligent, believable and well-acted.

Bastelmutti
5-23-11, 11:37pm
Pony mom - I will be nervous to see the US Prime Suspect. The UK version was soooo good. I guess I have only seen the UK versions of The Office, Coupling & Fawlty Towers and liked them. Don't know how they would translate to US.

PS I also really liked Chicago Code (even with some of the accents!) :-)

folkypoet
5-24-11, 7:11am
This thread is just making me smile. Whenever I mention shows like Steptoe and Son or 'Till Death Us Do Part (original versions of Sanford and Son and All in the Family), people look at me funny. Love it here. :o)

As a side note, does anybody love The Good Life/Good Neighbors like I do? Whenever I'm feeling stressed, I watch an episode or two. Drew Carey was in a show of the same title (The Good Life) in 1994 that only lasted one season. Don't *think* it had anything to do with the 70's British comedy. Anyone know for sure?

treehugger
5-24-11, 12:57pm
Somehow the US can't make decent versions of some UK shows. Coupling, which is such a funny, very clever show, was just a bit forced and crude when made here. I think there have been two versions of Fawlty Towers and both stunk. I prefer the UK version of The Office, mostly because David Brent is so embarassing to watch.

You know that the British Coupling was based on the US show Friends, right? And yes, I know there was a US version of Coupling afterwards, too (which I never saw, but it was universally panned).

I agree that the original The Office was a really stellar, original show. And I was definitely skeptical when I heard about a US-made version. But the US The Office is a completely different, great show in in it's own right.

In general, I agree that the originals are better, but one example of the reverse is Life on Mars. I watched the US version first and loved it and then rented the British version, fully expecting to like that one even better...but I didn't. I found it boring and never watched more than the first season.

Kara

AustinKat
5-24-11, 7:28pm
From what I recall and have seen of both, I much preferred the UK version of "Whose Line is it Anyway?".
For fans of the original UK "Whose Line," let me recommend Stephen Fry's quiz show called "QI," much of which is available on YouTube. It's putatively an actual quiz show, not improv like "Whose Line," but some of the old performers (John Sessions! Sandy Toksvig! Clive Anderson!) occasionally pop up. And it's all masterminded by Mr. Fry, who I will watch in anything at all. :D

treehugger
5-24-11, 7:41pm
For fans of the original UK "Whose Line," let me recommend Stephen Fry's quiz show called "QI," much of which is available on YouTube. It's putatively an actual quiz show, not improv like "Whose Line," but some of the old performers (John Sessions! Sandy Toksvig! Clive Anderson!) occasionally pop up. And it's all masterminded by Mr. Fry, who I will watch in anything at all. :D

Thanks for the recommendation. I hadn't heard of that show and I, too, adore Mr. Fry. I enjoyed every single episode of A Bit of Fry and Laurie that I rented from Netflix.

Kara

pony mom
5-24-11, 11:05pm
folkypoet, I loved The Good Life/Neighbors too. (The scene where Barbara comes home and runs through the house calling for the goat shouting "GERALDINE!" makes me laugh just thinking about it.) I'm actually surprised that an updated version hasn't been made here considering how the simple living and enviromentalist movement is growing. There was an animated series recently that sounded similar but I never watched it.

Another thing that makes a lot of UK shows more enjoyable to me is that they actually shoot scenes outdoors, in real neighborhoods with real houses and trees. I've been a fan of EastEnders for probably over 20 years now and in so many outdoor scenes, the sunlight changes during a single scene many times--must be difficult for the camera and lighting people to work with. But it's real!

Bastelmutti
5-25-11, 1:05pm
In general, I agree that the originals are better, but one example of the reverse is Life on Mars. I watched the US version first and loved it and then rented the British version, fully expecting to like that one even better...but I didn't. I found it boring and never watched more than the first season.

I agree with that. Life on Mars US was very fun. I also found the UK version boring.

Alan
5-25-11, 1:29pm
Top Gear.

UK Version (http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/)= Excellent
US Version (http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear)= mehh

Brian
5-25-11, 8:53pm
Well if you enjoyed The Good Life .... E1P1-4 Giles and Sue Live the Good Life (http://www.simplelivingforum.net/E1P1-4%20Giles%20and%20Sue%20Live%20the%20Good%20Life) how about the supersizers take the 70's series on... actually one of my favs of theirs.

QI compilation show for the current season just over http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va_T7cp8ksE&feature=related my def fav series as they appear. New season in Sept.

sweetana3
5-26-11, 6:42am
The Good Life/Good Neighbors started our love affair with British shows. My husband is in love with Barbara and we were lucky to see her in a play while on a trip to London. I collect British DVDs and watch them over and over. Ground Force got us interested in gardening and Life Laundry was a terrific show about hoarding made well before any US shows.

What I like the best are the British actors are more real to me than the thin and always perfectly groomed Americans that are on our TV these days. Look closely at the American shows and they are all dressed by the same designer.

folkypoet
5-26-11, 8:02am
Thanks, Brian!! I wasn't able to get the link to work, but I searched for "Giles and Sue Live the Good Life" on YouTube, and they're all there. :o) What fun1 Not quite the same as Barbara and Tom, but so much fun! I'm going to enjoy myself this weekend, I think.

You're right, sweetana3; British actors *do* seem more like actual, real people (with their actual, real teeth, too). Nobody looks like an American actor/actress in my life, but plenty look as if they could star in British shows. And I *like* that about British television.

Oh, and pony mom, you're so right about shooting scenes in natural lighting. I enjoy that about British series. Makes it more real, less polished. I love the outdoor scenes in TGL. Often, it's cloudy out or dismal-looking. Real people don't usually have the perfect day to coincide with the perfect scene. Sometimes, when we are in a celebratory mood, the weather isn't. That actually comes through when you watch some British shows.

iris lily
5-26-11, 10:48am
I have to laugh--last night I popped Downton Abbey disc into the tv and enjoyed (what I thought was) the first episode. Got right into it.

After watching it, I discovered I had started with Episode 6 on the 3rd disc. ha ha, I'm so into Brit costume dramas I can figure them out and totally enjoy them at any point in the story.

Juicifer
5-26-11, 11:28am
Top Gear.

UK Version (http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/)= Excellent
US Version (http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear)= mehh

I was just going to say this.
But could this not be because we've been watching the UK show for a number of years before we watched the US version.

Alan
5-26-11, 11:46am
I was just going to say this.
But could this not be because we've been watching the UK show for a number of years before we watched the US version.

Certainly. But I think it's more than that. The three leads on the UK version are a joy to watch, individually as well as collectively. The interpersonal dynamic is not as mature or as fun with the American leads although without the comparison I probably wouldn't hold them to a higher standard.