PDA

View Full Version : Retreat, it may be working!

Zoe Girl
5-24-11, 10:06pm
Okay the reason it may be working is not the best but whatever makes things that need to happen, happen is good.

My kids are really struggling and I have done my best to support it this year and I am so exhausted it isn't funny. So after finding out my son was failing his classes at the special audition admission only school for the arts (remember the movie Fame) and my daughter has been lying to me for months about attending her college class and doing her on-line work (which means we have to now pay the tuition for the class that would have been free) and my oldest overcharging the phone bill AGAIN, I decided that I am sending them all to stay with dad for a month. That is that. I talked it over with my counselor, the dates are working out for me, boyfriend is working on himself which is fine (he is being a suportive friend) and even my mother, gasp!!!!, seems to understand.

The plan is that when I am only working 20 hours a week plus my weekend job I will take a month and work, meditate and write. I will not be primary parent but will do regular dinner nights and be there for special stuff. The kids will not stay with me overnight for the month or drop in whenever they feel like it or call me when something is inconvenient. After 7 years of being primary caregiver as a single mom one month sounds golden. I don't even care if I nap the whole time!

I am looking up additional meditation times and centers for support, I need to tell 2 out of 3 kids (the one is really pissed at me, he has not attended school a full week all year long and has pushed not going to the point I took him into the ER for a psych eval at one point, the whole 9 months with medical and psychiatric treatment). There is a real chance one kid will be a runaway to boyfriends for a month, she has been verbally abusive and on the edge of physical for a long time. I finally got her to see a counselor but her process has been 2 years at this point. I am also doing all their counseling along with regular dinner nights, may not seem like a retreat to people without kids but it is to me.

Now I have to work on my dharma talk for our buddhist service at the UU church in July.

Gardenarian
5-31-11, 5:00pm
Congratulations Zoe Girl! It sounds like a great plan.
:+1:

chrisgermany
6-1-11, 4:57am
Great plan. Go for it.
Make the dinner nights on same days each week and don't do them too often. We have a proverb: If you want to be appreciated, make yourself rare!
Make sure that the special stuff you would be there for is defined in advance.

Wildflower
6-1-11, 5:07am
Hopefully, in this months time your kids will realize what you do do for them! If anything it will be wonderful for your own sanity. Enjoy! And maybe after this month is up they need to spend more time at Dad's anyway and not so much with you. Co-parenting these kids sounds like a better option then having it all dumped on you as has been in the past...

Zoe Girl
6-1-11, 8:39am
Oh dear, I may have to change plans. I am still pushing for as much as i can but the counselors I have consulted with so far (the kids counselors) are not thinking this would be okay for them. So far I have REALLY pushed for some things like having dad simply do a lot more. He is willing but I end up doing it since they are with me.

If the kids backtrack I can go back to my plan, real life is so confusing at times. If I don;t get this month then I am taking a full week without work as well.

P.S. Dad is narcissistic personality disorder so that is why I have them so much.

folkypoet
6-1-11, 9:48am
Are there any free/sliding-scale summer camps they could attend? Maybe let their counselors know you're at a breaking point and ask them if they know of anything...? Sounds like you *really* need/deserve a break! And that might be a healthier environment than staying with Dad....

Zoe Girl
6-1-11, 9:04pm
Yeah, my job is working with grant based out of school time programs. So I am looking at some options, I have some friends here who would take them for a week and my parents live about 10 hours away so we could work out a week. I think with my daughter I need to work closely with the counselor to make sure we are balancing my need for a break without losing all the progress we have made.