PDA

View Full Version : Are similar Dutch ovens as good as Le Creuset?

CathyA
5-25-11, 4:16pm
I have a 5.5 qt Le Creuset Dutch oven. I got it about 10 years ago at Williams Sonomo.......who were, at that time, honoring the price of internet sale prices and I got a great deal on it.
I would love to have a 9.5 qt Dutch oven, since I cook so many veggies when I make a roast. But dang.....I'm seeing $330 for it everywhere (even online).
I'm wondering if some of the ones that look similar actually cook the same. I absolutely love my Le Creuset and use it alot.
(Its the enameled cast iron stuff). I have a plain cast iron Dutch oven, but I can always taste the iron/rust.
Anyone have the cheaper versions of the Le Creuset and are you happy with it?

lhamo
5-25-11, 5:03pm
I got an enameled roaster at Costco as a Christmas gift to myself. Best kitchen purchase I ever made. We use it almost daily. It is a beautiful cherry red on the outside and off white on the inside. Haven't had any problems with it. It was about $50-60.

When I was reading reviews, a lot of people said the cheaper models you can get at Walmart and Target, etc. were generally fine.

lhamo

herbgeek
5-25-11, 5:06pm
I picked one up a few weeks ago, so its a little early to tell how it will last. It was actually a Martha Stewart brand, not only was it on sale, but they were discontinuing the color (black) which was the color I wanted anyways. This one is smaller, since there are only 2 of us, and after all the discounts, I got it for $15. I was a very happy woman.

Liking it so far.

H-work
5-25-11, 5:10pm
Cook's Illustrated highly rates some of the cheaper brands. I got one from Target and love it. It does stain a little on the inside, but that doesn't bother me. I'd say look at the piece carefully, at the finish, the handle, the fit of the lid to make sure it meets your standards. I had a Copco brand one but didn't like the lid, it was just metal when my others have heavier cast iron lids.

KayLR
5-25-11, 6:22pm
Tramontina was the brand Cook's Illustrated recommended as their first choice for less spendy models. Mine was a gift from my daughter, a Lodge brand, and I've had no complaint about it.

Kat
5-25-11, 9:42pm
I have a Tramontina. I got it at Walmart for $33 around Thanksgiving last year (I think they usually run about $60). It is a lovely red color and cream on the inside. Doesn't stain and cooks beautifully. I don't have a Le Crueset, so I can't really make a comparison. But I am happy with my cheaper version.

CathyA
5-26-11, 9:59am
Thanks everyone.

CathyA
5-26-11, 12:27pm
I just saw one at Bed, Bath and Beyond online that is a Fontignac brand (made in France). It looks pretty similar to Le Creuset and costs about half......plus I always have a 20% off coupon from there. Anyone ever buy a Fontignac cast-iron piece?

maribeth
5-29-11, 1:54pm
I got my Le Creuset Dutch oven on sale from Bloomingdales. You just have to watch for the sale. I have also found smaller Le Creuset pieces at discounters like Tuesday Morning and Home Goods.

Zoebird
5-29-11, 10:53pm
it is a blessing to find le cruset for any decent price, but i've done well finding used ones here. it's amazing how something nearly 50 years old can still be in fine condition -- if you don't mind orange, yellow, or avocado. :) definitely look on ebay or at salvage stores for some -- you'll be surprised at what you can find for under $10 in such places.