PDA

View Full Version : Baking things instead of frying them.....

CathyA
5-26-11, 2:18pm
Do you feel like you can bake just about anything that was supposed to be fried? I'm making eggplant parmesan and would rather dip the slices in the stuff, then bake it, instead of frying it in a bunch of oil. Do you think it makes a big difference in the taste (in a negative way) to bake it?

loosechickens
5-26-11, 2:25pm
I pretty much always bake......certainly for the calories and fat, but also because we live in a very small space, and frying oil smell seems to linger a long time in here. I always do eggplant as you describe, (especially because if you fry it soaks up oil like a sponge), dipped in egg, then crumbs, then baked on a greased cookie sheet. Tastes FINE to me.......

sometimes, I've just brushed the slices with olive oil, and baked them "naked", and that tasted good, too. Once the eggplant is in the tomato sauce, who knows?

Rosemary
5-26-11, 4:34pm
Yes. We never fry anything. It is a somewhat different taste - I wouldn't say it detracts, but some people might. I think the lack of "fried" flavor allows the real flavors to shine.

Wildflower
5-27-11, 4:55am
I always bake, never fry. I quit frying years ago and don't miss it at all. Things taste better to me baked, cooked in the slow cooker, or outside on the grill.

Sad Eyed Lady
5-27-11, 9:39am
I too mostly bake anything that can be fried. I have had no problems doing this before but can't remember if I have done it with eggplant parmesan or not. Give it try and see if you like it.

Glo
5-27-11, 12:02pm
Once in a while I love fried chicken and breaded pork chops but have those very rarely. DH makes the best oven-fried french fries; mostly he uses sweet potatoes and they are fabulous.

terrica
5-29-11, 11:46pm
While I love to cook, I have never been any good at frying, so I bake a lot of things. During the garden season, I make eggplant parm and zucchini fries several times a week in the oven.

puglogic
5-30-11, 1:15am
I've love to know the secret of getting some truly crispy/crunchy fries (of any kind) in the oven ---- I'd prefer cooking them that way but have never had luck getting the crispy texture I like. Secrets?

creaker
5-30-11, 7:27am
I bake eggplant parmesan on cookie sheets until browned - then layer it like lasagna with sauce and cheese in a pan and bake again - it comes out pretty good.

Rosemary
5-30-11, 9:49am
re: oven fries - look for the Cooks Illustrated recipe. I think they recommend soaking the prepped fries in cold water for a particular amount of time, draining and drying, and then baking.

Glo
5-30-11, 10:15am
Preheat oven to 450; spray cookie sheet with Pam; lay out fries in single layer; spray potatoes with Pam; bake 25-30 minutes.