PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Thunder - All Welcome

mtnlaurel
5-30-11, 6:31am
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/palin-makes-ride-in-rolling-thunder-in-dc-her-kickoff-to-northeast-tour/2011/05/29/AGE93NEH_story.html

Article above is about Palin's appearance at the Rolling Thunder DC ride over the weekend. Unfortunately for me - I am one of those that is obsessed with "All Things Sarah". I don't know what it is, it's like crack to me. She just drives me bonkers, yet I can't quit her! :sick:

Whoever her stylist is did a fantastic job for the photo in the article. I do mean that sincerely.

Anyway, the quote at the end reminded me of these boards....
"She hasn’t declared, so I really don’t know the real reason for her to be here other than to get her face out. Maybe she wants to attach her personal brand to Rolling Thunder. Rolling Thunder wouldn’t say yes, and Rolling Thunder wouldn’t say no. We welcome all people."

I like that I have a place to come and watch folks kick around political ideas and events and not always HAVE to get super nasty/hateful, but at the end of the day, we all stand behind the idea of simplicity...... whatever our interpretation of it may mean to us individually.

Zigzagman
5-30-11, 10:51am
It was simply a way to catch a headline and convey "Support the Troops". From what I read it was received with mixed signals by the Rolling Thunder group because politics are not their message or goal. Some liked it, some not.

If there is one thing that politicians now how to do - it is get attention.As far as I concerned I don't think it has any significance at all in terms of politics. Just a way to catch a headline and it worked. "Politicization of everything" is what US elections are all about - you gotta find a way to connect with groups of voters without offending anyone with stupid things like "policy". It works so it will continue!!

Next thing you know she will be wearing a "Jesus Hat" - do they have those?

Peace

redfox
5-30-11, 12:59pm
Is a 12 Step group in order?

Catwoman
5-30-11, 5:26pm
The Jesus hat remark was rude Ziggy,,,what if I had made some turban remark? Intolerance runs both ways and in this country mostly directed at religious right these days.

Zigzagman
5-30-11, 6:42pm
The Jesus hat remark was rude Ziggy,,,what if I had made some turban remark? Intolerance runs both ways and in this country mostly directed at religious right these days.

Sorry to offend, Dana,,,my point was that Palin, like all professional politicians, are all about attracting special interest groups and in America what better group to attract than the "Christians"? Surely you don't think that Muslims are of an equal statue, do you?

This is a "Christian Nation", right?
The religious right deserves every thing that is thrown at them and them some. !Splat!
I did think that her statement " "I love that smell of the emissions!" was just perfect for the GOP who seem to just hate clean anything, including air and water.

This is what a former Gov. riding on a motorcycle should look like.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq1ypxZJNP0yaTo3e31fp853eAJpzBy Ng66yuTHOA2OweVXuYQ

Peace
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.newsdesigner.com/blog/images/sept06/Anne-Richards.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.newsdesigner.com/archives/002622.php&usg=__LBUzdlEStQaDbeQN-PYAogpJvsQ=&h=360&w=280&sz=51&hl=en&start=4&zoom=1&tbnid=mu2ecA8fIesraM:&tbnh=121&tbnw=94&ei=kRrkTZr8A6qy0QGYtODrBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAnn%2BRichards%2Bharley%26um%3D1%26hl %3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DbYW%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D768%26bih%3D428%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&biw=768&bih=428

Catwoman
5-30-11, 6:51pm
AAARH! Its ol' helmet head herself! The old girl also had the natural leathered look...

Zigzagman
5-30-11, 7:32pm
AAARH! Its ol' helmet head herself! The old girl also had the natural leathered look...

In 1990, Richards defeated Clayton Williams, the infamous Texas Oilman, who joked during the campaign, likening rape to bad weather, having quipped: "If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it". And sadly during "W's" '94 campaign for Gov. against Richards involved a whisper campaign that the governor (mother of four children) was a lesbian because she had allegedly hired many gays and lesbians to work on her re-election campaign.

Good Gosh Almighty, Ya'll! Now that was "just not acceptable" for the good Christian ladies of Texas. So instead we good our good friend George W. Bush!!

This just goes to show you that Palin is a light-weight when it comes to despicable GOP tactics to get elected. Why on God's green earth would a woman ever vote for a Republican?

Peace

Alan
5-30-11, 8:04pm
Why on God's green earth would a woman ever vote for a Republican?

Peace

Because they're exercising their true feminist tendancies to be independent of unwanted governmental intrusions and protecting their children from the same?

loosechickens
5-30-11, 8:43pm
"I did think that her statement " "I love that smell of the emissions!" was just perfect for the GOP who seem to just hate clean anything, including air and water." (Zigzagman)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I think Sarah Palin has as much right to show up there as anyone else, so don't have problems along those lines, although I do think that by now, she has to be aware that wherever she shows up, it's a circus, so might have been better not to suck the oxygen away from the veterans being honored, but that's neither here nor there, I guess, since she had a right to be there.

What I did find sad about the above mentioned comment, was in light of this, that I read today:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/may/29/carbon-emissions-nuclearpower

excerpt:

"Greenhouse gas emissions increased by a record amount last year, to the highest carbon output in history, putting hopes of holding global warming to safe levels all but out of reach, according to unpublished estimates from the International Energy Agency.

The shock rise means the goal of preventing a temperature rise of more than 2 degrees Celsius – which scientists say is the threshold for potentially "dangerous climate change" – is likely to be just "a nice Utopia", according to Fatih Birol, chief economist of the IEA. It also shows the most serious global recession for 80 years has had only a minimal effect on emissions, contrary to some predictions.

Last year, a record 30.6 gigatonnes of carbon dioxide poured into the atmosphere, mainly from burning fossil fuel – a rise of 1.6Gt on 2009, according to estimates from the IEA regarded as the gold standard for emissions data."

So......having someone who might be running for President waxing lovingly about "emissions" kind of discourages me....know what I mean?

ApatheticNoMore
5-31-11, 12:42pm
Yea her policy prescriptions may be all screwed up and that is why you don't vote her into an elected office (because you vote on policy, right?). But in this particular instance she was riding a motorcycle, doesn't even the most noisy hog burn far less fuel than covering the same territory in a car? So if more people learned to love the emissions of motorcycles rather than their existing mode of transport we might be better off.

So......having someone who might be running for President waxing lovingly about "emissions" kind of discourages me....know what I mean?

Well there is a nice eloquent person who waxes very lovingly about a lot of wonderful things, we just know he doesn't deliver. Actually being slightly better on environmental issues is the ONLY reason I could see someone voting for the Democratic presidential nominee (as opposed to voting for no major party!). So if one votes for them for this reason, I'm somewhat sympathetic. Because afterall we have an opposing party that entirely pretends climate change and other environmental issues aren't real! I just hope that their voting so doesn't cause them to develop a need to pretend that their candidate is really doing stuff when they aren't (to avoid cognitive dissonance). Democratic philosophy says that our choice in the voting booth gives legitimacy to our rulers, but a knowledge of psychology says that having us participate in confirming our rulers (when we are continually asked to choose among two choices of the same money ruling class), legitimizes within our psychology political rulers that we would otherwise be able to SEE were fundamentally corrupt (because hey we've taken A SIDE and need to defend it - again see cognitive dissonance).

And, this slightly better on the environment by the Dems still really isn't good. The government employs it's power to cover up for BP, it sabotages climate change talks, etc.. But we must have centrists and moderates afterall (wouldn't want anyone too radical!), because people with wealth want to preserve it and centrists are ABSOLUTELY GREAT for this (more so than even radical right wingers because they don't make it so obvious!), EVEN IF the whole planet is destroyed in the process by their sell-out policies on absolutely critical issues like the environment. Meanwhile we can score righteousness points by our candidate being a hair better than the other on the environment, but EVEN when our candidate wins, in the REAL world, on this planet (as opposed to in the world of verbal games and who has scored a debating point today) things continue to deteriorate.

poetry_writer
5-31-11, 10:46pm
Because they're exercising their true feminist tendancies to be independent of unwanted governmental intrusions and protecting their children from the same?

Because I have that right. Or...because I think he/she might be the best candidate. Hey, its a free country. :o)

folkypoet
6-1-11, 9:58am
Seems odd to me that it's called "Rolling Thunder." Isn't that just waaay too reminiscent of the Dylan/Baez "Rolling Thunder Revue" tour in the mid '70s? Doesn't seem like the GOP would want to associate itself with hippies and lovely, liberal folk music... or has everyone already forgotten and it's no big deal?

Alan
6-1-11, 10:13am
Seems odd to me that it's called "Rolling Thunder." Isn't that just waaay too reminiscent of the Dylan/Baez "Rolling Thunder Revue" tour in the mid '70s? Doesn't seem like the GOP would want to associate itself with hippies and lovely, liberal folk music... or has everyone already forgotten and it's no big deal?
Have you ever heard a few thousand Harley's rolling by? If you had, I'm thinking you'd realize just how descriptive a name it really is.

Rolling Thunder actually began as a non-profit organization dedicated to the search for POW's and MIA's and has been around since the mid 80's. Why wouldn't the GOP, or the Democrats for that matter, want to associate with them?

Edited to add:

I'm hoping to make it to Washington and join the Rolling Thunder in hopes of seeing this guy. He's been greeting veterans and welcoming them home each year since 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gfnmDGk0KM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gfnmDGk0KM)

LDAHL
6-1-11, 11:01am

The commercialized hippie tour name itself derived from the Operation Rolling Thunder air campaign over North Vietnam of the late sixties. Or has everyone forgotten?

folkypoet
6-1-11, 11:06am
Dylan has claimed he didn't derive it from that, but who really knows? Anyway, for me (and I assume quite a few others), that's what the phrase will always conjure up: images of happy hippies and songsters. :o) And I enjoy that. The juxtaposition makes me smile.

poetry_writer
6-1-11, 11:40am
.......and there is an awful lot of old hippies in this country. Baby boomers sick of Washington good ole boys, sick of Obama LACK of healthcare, sick of lack of jobs. We are sinking like the Titanic under the current govt.

LDAHL
6-1-11, 1:28pm
.......and there is an awful lot of old hippies in this country. Baby boomers sick of Washington good ole boys, sick of Obama LACK of healthcare, sick of lack of jobs. We are sinking like the Titanic under the current govt.

Well, the boomers had a lifetime to change that, as well as the numbers and wealth. Instead they chose a half century of self-indulgence. Whining about the state of the nation at this point, and maudlin nostalgia for the period when American popular music ceased to be interesting, isn't going to elicit much sympathy.

Zigzagman
6-1-11, 2:07pm
Well, the boomers had a lifetime to change that, as well as the numbers and wealth. Instead they chose a half century of self-indulgence. Whining about the state of the nation at this point, and maudlin nostalgia for the period when American popular music ceased to be interesting, isn't going to elicit much sympathy.

+1

Peace

poetry_writer
6-1-11, 4:06pm

.......I know how this country can change but few want to do it...return to God, honor family, faith, morals, ethics, love others, .....which is the bottom line issue behind all the problems. Greed and dishonesty are rampant. that is why all our jobs are in Mexico and India. Not sure how the baby boomers could have prevented that?.......Lack of healthcare? hey whos president? Obama and his lame promises have brought us nothing...hmm, boomers didnt do that either. as for music....boomer music ROCKS. hands off the Three Dog Night album!....

Zigzagman
6-1-11, 5:14pm
.......I know how this country can change but few want to do it...return to God, honor family, faith, morals, ethics, love others, .....which is the bottom line issue behind all the problems.

Not sure that is really the bottom line issue myself...I think it might be simply greed. As far as I'm concerned religion has only exacerbated the problem.

Greed and dishonesty are rampant. that is why all our jobs are in Mexico and India. Not sure how the baby boomers could have prevented that? Us boomers could have prevented it by not supporting the right-wing agenda pretty much since the 1980's. It has been pretty much downhill since the "great communicator" was elected an we bought into "supply side economics".

Lack of healthcare? hey whos president? Obama and his lame promises have brought us nothing Well, I wouldn't say nothing. Admittedly the Dems and Obama let the "party of NO" debacle single-payer healthcare which we will eventually be forced to accept when all other options run out. But at least there was an attempt to do something. Which is more than I have seen in the last 10 years and healthcare costs have risen by 200-300 percent with our free market concept.
as for music....boomer music ROCKS. hands off the Three Dog Night album!.... IMHO, the very best music of all time. I think it will be played for as long as life exists. Same with the classical composers of yesteryear.

Peace

LDAHL
6-2-11, 8:38am
...., boomers didnt do that either.

Precisely. For a generation blessed with unprecedented numbers, wealth and education the boomers have accomplished pathetically little. They've presided over a dumb-down education system, sliding economic competitiveness and cultural degredation. What's the great political issue of the day? Who's going to pay for my entitlements?

It should probably come as no surprise that a generation that would take us from Art Tatum and Coleman Hawkins to Three Dog Night would also be the one to take us from defying tyranny to bleating for handouts.

poetry_writer
6-2-11, 11:47am
Precisely. For a generation blessed with unprecedented numbers, wealth and education the boomers have accomplished pathetically little. They've presided over a dumb-down education system, sliding economic competitiveness and cultural degredation. What's the great political issue of the day? Who's going to pay for my entitlements?

It should probably come as no surprise that a generation that would take us from Art Tatum and Coleman Hawkins to Three Dog Night would also be the one to take us from defying tyranny to bleating for handouts.

I guess I was not aware that my generation was to blame for all the ills of society today. But shouldnt surprise me, as this is one of our main problems. Whiners who want to blame somebody, anybody for the problems. You young whipper snappers just dont know what it was like to have only ONE channel on tv and ....scuse me where is my welfare check? LOL. ok said with tongue in cheek. I am honestly surprised at the venom towards my generation. Like many, I and my family always worked for a living and loved our country and God and America. Not sure how WE caused all this, think you just want someone to blame. Put it where it belongs, on a greedy government, greedier big corporations and the overall moral decline of our nation into the gutter. I receive no entitlements but would gladly if someone would point me in that direction as i cannot find a frikkin job (i suppose thats my fault too). ok i will remove my tongue from my cheek....sorta...;o)

LDAHL
6-2-11, 12:02pm
I guess I was not aware that my generation was to blame for all the ills of society today. But shouldnt surprise me, as this is one of our main problems. Whiners who want to blame somebody, anybody for the problems. You young whipper snappers just dont know what it was like to have only ONE channel on tv and ....scuse me where is my welfare check? LOL. ok said with tongue in cheek. I am honestly surprised at the venom towards my generation. Like many, I and my family always worked for a living and loved our country and God and America. Not sure how WE caused all this, think you just want someone to blame. Put it where it belongs, on a greedy government, greedier big corporations and the overall moral decline of our nation into the gutter. I receive no entitlements but would gladly if someone would point me in that direction as i cannot find a frikkin job (i suppose thats my fault too). ok i will remove my tongue from my cheek....sorta...;o)

Not so much venom as dissappointment. I myself am in fact a late-tranche boomer. I don't see how anyone can deny that many of our national problems became quite a bit worse on our watch. Who do you think is staffing those wicked corporations and self-interested government bureaucracies? The very same "me generation" that seems to be claiming victim status now.

poetry_writer
6-2-11, 12:08pm
Not so much venom as dissappointment. I myself am in fact a late-tranche boomer. I don't see how anyone can deny that many of our national problems became quite a bit worse on our watch. Who do you think is staffing those wicked corporations and self-interested government bureaucracies? The very same "me generation" that seems to be claiming victim status now.

Well it wasnt me staffing those wicked corporations. My last job I made $8 an hour! My bosses however, were millionaires. Of course one had an early heart attack (what price success and greed).......One good thing about being a boomer is that you are old enough to not give a damn what anyone thinks. I think our country is going down and its very sad. I simply pray over us all and leave it in Gods hands.