PDA

View Full Version : Photo editing software - alternatives to Photoshop (for Mac)

Tradd
5-30-11, 4:49pm
You might have seen my post under Hobbies that I'm looking at taking my photography hobby into a side business - within a year or so - shooting Orthodox weddings and baptisms.

I will need to get photo editing software beyond the iPhoto or Picasa I use now. Photoshop is $700. What are my options for Mac that don't cost an arm and a leg. I assume I'll eventually have to go to Photoshop but would like to start out with something else. A friend suggested Gimp, but it's really made for Windows and you have to jump through hoops to get it on a Mac. I simply don't understand the installation instructions at all. And I'm not in the mood to deal with it.

So what are my Photoshop alternatives? Does anyone use Aperture, which is exclusively Mac software? The reviews are really mixed.

Thanks!

Alan
5-30-11, 6:12pm
Well, GIMP is the best free product on par with Photoshop. You can get it with a Mac installer at this location: http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html

I've used it on Windows for quite some time and do believe it's worth whatever effort it may take to install.

HappyHiker
5-30-11, 10:15pm
Haven't used Gimp on a Mac but use it on a PC and it's marvelous for me, a not too techie person. But then, I didn't have to do the install...

daisy
5-31-11, 3:17pm
I also use Gimp and we run Ubuntu Linux. But like HappyHiker, I don't have to do the install.

Rogar
5-31-11, 5:17pm
You can usually pick up Photoshop Elements for under $100. It's surprizing close to the full version (I've used both). I haven't used other software but I think Photoshop (or PS elements) is pretty much the standard for photo work and will have more to offer in terms of on-line tutorials, how to books, and plug-ins. It will also be easier to converse with other folks like printer shops and other photographers in Photoshop terms rather than other software.

Gizmo
5-31-11, 6:18pm
I use GIMP - its the open source version of Photoshop. It allows you to do Layers, open PSD (Photoshop) files, and use photoshop brushes (like brush expansions. I got some free fur and lizard skin brushes from deviantart).

Tradd
5-31-11, 7:42pm
Well, thanks for the input. However, I've decided to NOT do the photography side biz. Maybe I'll do a post about it, but some of the involved cr*p is rather ugly.

iris lily
5-31-11, 9:28pm
Well, thanks for the input. However, I've decided to NOT do the photography side biz. Maybe I'll do a post about it, but some of the involved cr*p is rather ugly.

But you still can snap some images, share the best ones, and enjoy the creative process. In this world of digital photography you don't have to lay out a bezillion dollars on prints.

I won a blue ribbon at a photography contest--I was 1st out of 3! haha, big win!--and now I've got a little bit of the photo bug. But I'm interested in composition and have no interest in technical aspects, so I will always be mediocre.

Tradd
5-31-11, 9:30pm
Oh, I'm going to still shoot weddings and baptisms of friends at MY parish, but not elsewhere.