PDA

View Full Version : Another computer answer needed please

razz
5-31-11, 8:04am
I downloaded the Internet Explorer 9 two days ago and now I am hit with flashing ads that I cannot delete as they come and go so quickly but keep flashing.

I have pop-up blocker in force, Norton for virus etc control but is this the future of the internet - flashing ads that flit across the screen. Bank ads, unknown faces are some of the flashes.

Would deleting IE and going with Google Chrome be better?

Any ideas to control this would be most welcome.

TIA

mattj
5-31-11, 8:46am
First try running a scan for virus/spyware/adware/malware... if your PC doesn't have a program there are free ones at download.com. If you do have one make sure to tell it to check for updates before running it.

Alan
5-31-11, 8:51am
I second MattJ's suggestion. It sounds more like a malware issue than a browser issue.

benhyr
5-31-11, 11:25am
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx

Also, do the ads only come up when you launch the browser or at random times when doing nothing else?

thinkgreen
5-31-11, 12:13pm
I have the same trouble. It is very annoying and happened after I downloaded IE9. I tried uninstalling Java but that didn't help. It happens at a lot of websites, i.e. newspapers, msn, etc. Not at these forums though. I suspect it must be sponsors of the websites as they are often related to the website or advertisers in the case of newspapers. Any suggestions to stop it or get rid of it would be appreciated.

Tradd
5-31-11, 1:18pm
Firefox is SO much better than IE.

Alan
5-31-11, 1:42pm
This may be a problem with Adobe's latest flash update. See: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/904/cpsid_90416.html

razz
5-31-11, 1:43pm
When trying to download, I got the message that my Windows version already includes MS Defender.

Thinkgreen's comment is correct in that the flashing includes info applicable to the website that I am visiting. This only started after the IE9 was downloaded. They come up when i visit a site and keep flashing randomly obliterating the info that I am looking for. Most annoying! I suspect it is the new online ad sales technique!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx

Also, do the ads only come up when you launch the browser or at random times when doing nothing else?

razz
5-31-11, 2:15pm
Thanks Alan. It will take a little time to fully understand what I am being asked to do to respond to Adobe quest for info.
With the IE9 download, I had to reset my toolbars and organize my screen which was an unexpected nuisance as well. Not computer friendly at all.

Alan
5-31-11, 2:26pm
Thanks Alan. It will take a little time to fully understand what I am being asked to do to respond to Adobe quest for info.
With the IE9 download, I had to reset my toolbars and organize my screen which was an unexpected nuisance as well. Not computer friendly at all.

It should be fairly simple to see if this is the root of your problem. Try disabling hardware acceleration (GPU rendering) in IE9 using the following instructions:

Click Start, Control Panel, Network and security and then click Internet Options
Click the Advanced tab, and then browse to the Accelerated graphics section.
Click to select the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering check box.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
Close all open Internet Explorer 9 windows, and then restart Internet Explorer 9.
View the webpage in Internet Explorer 9.
If that temporarily solves the problem, then you can just wait for Adobe to apply a fix and then follow the same instructions to re-enable hardware acceleration.

peggy
5-31-11, 3:31pm
Oh this is so annoying! The same thing happened to me when I did the explorer 9. So Alan, I guess I don't understand what it is I'm stopping or blocking or whatever. I mean, you say when the fix come in to reverse to RE-ENABLE hardware acceleration. What's hardware acceleration?

Alan
5-31-11, 3:59pm
Oh this is so annoying! The same thing happened to me when I did the explorer 9. So Alan, I guess I don't understand what it is I'm stopping or blocking or whatever. I mean, you say when the fix come in to reverse to RE-ENABLE hardware acceleration. What's hardware acceleration?

Assuming I'm correct in an online, limited info diagnostic, the problem is within the interaction between Adobe Flash Player 10.3, Internet Explorer 9 and certain Intel HD graphics adaptors. There have been lots of reports in the last week or so of the exact problem mentioned by the OP and all indicators are that this is the problem.

There are two ways that a browser can render graphics, through software acceleration meaning that your browser is using system memory and resources to render images, and hardware acceleration meaning that you're using the graphics card's memory and resources to do the same.

To test to see if this is your problem, I'm suggesting that you disable the default hardware acceleration, thereby taking one of the three actors out of the equation. If the problem goes away at that point, you can simply wait for Microsoft or Adobe or Intel to create and distribute a fix for the problem at which time you can turn hardware acceleration back on since it is the preferred way to render graphics.

Another thing you could do is to update your graphics driver to the latest version. This is what I would do, however trying to walk a computer novice through the process via posts on a discussion forum keeps me from suggesting that as a first resort.

thinkgreen
5-31-11, 4:29pm
Alan, you're my HERO! The process was slightly different due to the version of windows that I have, but I checked the box for "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering" and VOILA! No more irritating boxes. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Alan
5-31-11, 4:35pm
Glad that it worked for you. Now to see how Razz and Peggy fare.

peggy
5-31-11, 5:10pm
Yea!! That did it! Alan, you're a genius! :thankyou:

I wish I knew more about this stuff. I'm just still wowed by computers period!

Thank you!

Alan
5-31-11, 6:46pm
I wish I knew more about this stuff. I'm just still wowed by computers period!

It's not hard to learn. It's just a box with a cpu, approximately 65,000 ports for different purposes, a couple hundred protocols for functionality, and lots of different specific hardware items (audio, video, network, etc) attached. Then there's the operating system and the individual programs which interact with each other and the protocols, ports and hardware in unique ways.

If you break enough of them and then struggle through making them right again, it's amazing what you can learn.

razz
5-31-11, 6:48pm
You did it again, Alan! It worked! Thanks so much.

Alan
5-31-11, 8:05pm
I'm glad that little workaround seems to have solved your problems, but remember that it's just a workaround, not a fix.

Adobe should be creating an update to Flash Player soon, it seems like they have one every week or two, as soon as you see a prompt to update to a version beyond 10.3, I'd suggest you accept the update then re-enable hardware acceleration to see if it works then. If not, just follow the above routine again and wait for the next update.

razz
6-1-11, 7:38am
Thought that SLN members might be interested in the MS response and info that I received this morning that may be helpful for other issues that may arise. I deleted any personal info about the individual for ethical reasons.

"Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.

As a Customer Service Representative, I can provide web links and support options that may help you resolve your issue.

I can realize how frustrating this issue could be. I understand that you're having problems with the flashing images that keeps on showing on your computer after downloading Internet Explorer 9. Let me do my best to get the help you need.

In this case, the following are several ways on how you may obtain support to resolve your issue. Microsoft also offers forums where you can post your question and receive an answer by Microsoft Most Valued Professionals and other users of the product. You can also check the self-help articles that are available in our knowledge base for known issues.

Posting your issue in Microsoft Answers for Windows, Security Essentials and Windows Live:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

Searching for self-help articles:
http://www.support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub[p1]

You may work with Microsoft Support Professional via e-mail, telephone, and for some products, chat. Please note that depending on how you obtained your software, you may be referred to your computer manufacturer as your primary support resource, or charged a fee to use the Assisted Support option. Kindly follow the steps below to get the support you need:

1. Please click this link: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=807&st=1

2. Select the edition of Internet Explorer.

3. Select a support topic.

4. Select a support option.

You may also contact our Technical Support team via our Customer Service department at 1-800-936-5700. They are open Monday through Friday from 5am to 9pm (PST) and Saturday and Sunday from 6am to 3pm (PST).

I hope the above information is helpful, and please contact us if you have any additional customer service questions.

Thank you,

Microsoft Customer Service Representative …. Say hello to the new Windows Phone 7

thinkgreen
6-1-11, 4:21pm
Razz, thanks for sharing that. It is a wonderful example of how helpful this forum is to me. Alan was clever enough and kind enough to give us a simple solution to enable something that works for us every day. Fabulous. I sent a donation to support the forums. Thanks again for the help.