PDA

View Full Version : Are radish tops greens? Are they edible? Good to eat?

Tiam
6-1-11, 1:32am
Does anyone here eat radish tops, the leafy parts? And if so how do they taste, and how do you cook them? They seem like Turnip tops to me.

iris lily
6-1-11, 8:43am
Well, our French Bulldogs have been dragging around radish tops and gnawing on them. So they, at least, think they are good.

redfox
6-1-11, 12:25pm
Yes, and yes! Pick the radishes young, and stir fry the larger greens, use the smaller more tender ones in salad. Yum.

terrica
6-1-11, 2:29pm
I've heard you can make pesto with them. Haven't tried it myself but I once made pesto from garlic tops and it was yummy.

treehugger
6-1-11, 3:37pm
This is interesting. I just threw some radish tops in the compost bin last night and briefly considered whether I should try to find out if they were edible. These weren't home grown radishes though; they were from the grocery store, so not harvested young.

The main problem though is that I don;t really like radishes (I had bought them for my DH) so if the greens taste too radish-y, then I doubt I will like them. I do love chard and beet greens, but don't like collards all that much.

So, do radish greens taste radish-y?

Kara

redfox
6-2-11, 12:01am
Yeah, they do, but not nearly as strongly as the root.

treehugger
6-2-11, 11:57am
Yeah, they do, but not nearly as strongly as the root.

OK, that's what I figured. Next time I buy a bunch of radishes, I will experiment and cook them up. Worst case, we both hate them and they go in the compost bin. But I won't know if they are edible (to me) unless I try, so thanks for starting this thread, Tiam! It's certainly nice to use more of the produce I buy.

Kara

Aspen
6-9-11, 9:30pm
My bunnies and goat got all my radish greens!

Mrs-M
1-16-12, 6:00pm
Tiam. Another thing to try, beet tops! Yum-yum! Steamed (or boiled), a little garlic-butter or lemon juice over, delish!

Tiam
1-16-12, 11:58pm
Can't say I'm a beet fan, but I like turnips and their tops.

Mrs-M
1-17-12, 12:32am
No real beet flavour, and if you prepare them al dente (steamed), they make for a wonderful meaty-like veggie!

bae
1-17-12, 12:37am
Duncan and Otis demand sacrifices, so no radish greens for me:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-bdnKD403O1k/TAfrPe5TC2I/AAAAAAAAA1M/TRlxuQNny-4/s640/img_0108.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Fa32gLvxtwc/Tl2W_uAB2MI/AAAAAAAADyw/9oMMSBFo5w0/s640/IMG_2701.JPG

Jemima
1-17-12, 5:19pm
Duncan and Otis demand sacrifices, so no radish greens for me:

They're adorable. I used to have a small Guinea pig family, quite by accident, as the pretty female I picked out at the pet store had been up to dickens. They were Babe, Buffy, Beauregarde, and Anton. Lovable little critters.

Tiam
3-5-12, 2:11am
And carrot greens? I always put carrot greens along with the carrot into soup stocks, but then discard. Are they edible as a vegetable.?