PDA

View Full Version : Dog shelter

Ultralight
11-9-19, 8:28am
Today I start volunteering at the dog shelter. My plan is to do one shift per week, on the weekends, and walk/socialize the dogs. Some of those dogs I saw when I was at orientation were so dang presh!

iris lilies
11-9-19, 8:43am
Taking care of other dogs is fun, Like grandchildren, you can hand them back, you don’t have full responsibility.

We’ve had a revolving door of foster bulldogs in the past six months. At the moment we have a babysitting job, taking care of a former rescue dog who belongs to a friend of ours. Our friend is having heart surgery and is recovering so she’ll be here for three weeks. She’s a lot of fun, is very well socialized and is a funny, chunky Miss.

She comes at a very good time because our last foster dog was a very sad case and it did not end well. She was a puppy mill dog who just could not adjust to living in a home. It’s our first foster we have euthanized for temperament other than aggression. She was not aggressive she was just unbalanced.

The chunky Miss dog is providing an infusion of foster happiness.

I will estimate that 75% of my foster experiences are joyful, another 20% are enh, And 5% end badly.

iris lilies
11-9-19, 9:05am
I will rattle on about foster bulldogs. We recently had a lovely rescue event, a meetup at a winery on a gorgeous October day. Three of my former foster dogs were there. Here they are.

Left is puppy boy who was with us a couple months ago. In the middle is Layla who was with us in 2015. On the right is Lily who was with us for an entire year until 2017. I love Lily and I still miss her, And I was very surprised to see her because she doesn't come out to events.

razz
11-9-19, 11:23am
Cute, IL, and I see what you mean by squishy.

Teacher Terry
11-9-19, 12:10pm
They are cute IL. We have had 2 mentally unbalanced dogs. One a beagle that a toddler fell on accidentally when I was a child. It made her very timid and she did weird stuff. One of my Maltese was off. We called her bipolar Cassie. Just curious what type of behavior if not aggression was it?

iris lilies
11-9-19, 3:53pm
They are cute IL. We have had 2 mentally unbalanced dogs. One a beagle that a toddler fell on accidentally when I was a child. It made her very timid and she did weird stuff. One of my Maltese was off. We called her bipolar Cassie. Just curious what type of behavior if not aggression was it?

constant skittishness. When she first got to our house she would voluntarily come over to sit at our feet outdoors, and we petted her And she seem to like that. But in the house she was never comfortable. She didnt like to be petted or cuddled, she tensed up. She ran from us. She was OK spending most of her day in the corner of the living room except for when we left. Oddly, then she behaved like a dog with separation anxiety, she tore everything apart—cushions, anything on the floor. She pooped and urinated on the furniture.

I’ve had plenty of dogs urinate on furniture Because that’s a bulldog thing, that’s how they claim territory, but I’ve never had anyone poop on it. Ever.

She had been raised in an Amish puppy mill and was probably never out of the crate cage until a backyard breeder purchased her. They’re the ones who gave her up to rescue.

We put Bulldogs into homes, we don’t have a kennel to warehouse dogs until the end of their lives.

frugal-one
11-9-19, 4:04pm
They are so ugly... they are cute!

sweetana3
11-9-19, 4:53pm
There are several rescues, a Boxer one I really remember, that are very honest about what happens to damaged dogs. Warehousing is not an option for dogs. Dogs can have severe mental issues with aggression being only one of them.

Some breeds are more mentally damaged than others by puppy mill situations due to their sensitivity. And many never recover. HUA, online, has a few sanctuary dogs, that can never leave.

Teacher Terry
11-9-19, 6:27pm
IL, I was curious and not criticizing. Warehousing is worse than death. I adopted a 10 year old mill dog and it took me 2 years to turn her into a real dog. She was deaf and lived until 20. I wouldn’t do it again.

iris lilies
11-9-19, 6:46pm
IL, I was curious and not criticizing. Warehousing is worse than death. I adopted a 10 year old mill dog and it took me 2 years to turn her into a real dog. She was deaf and lived until 20. I wouldn’t do it again.

oh I know you were not criticizing!

Ultralight
11-9-19, 7:13pm
I walked a few dogs today, all were great! One dog, named Steve, really got me though.

I tried to post a pic, but it kept turning upside down.

Teacher Terry
11-9-19, 7:30pm
Thanks IL. I really respect the rescue work you do.

rosarugosa
11-10-19, 6:07am
I walked a few dogs today, all were great! One dog, named Steve, really got me though.

I tried to post a pic, but it kept turning upside down.

That's OK; we are used to looking at IL's pictures upside-down. Sounds like a good volunteer gig.

Ultralight
11-10-19, 8:43am
Me and Steve!

Float On
11-10-19, 2:47pm
Steve is cute. Love brindle coloring.

rosarugosa
11-11-19, 9:09am
Me and Steve!

Nice picture, and right-side-up even!

iris lilies
11-11-19, 9:40am
I’m sure Steve was happy to be out and about.

jp1
11-13-19, 9:08pm
Me and Steve!

What an adorable puppy! How does Harlan feel about you stepping out on him with other dogs like this?