PDA

View Full Version : To those who like strawberry-rhubarb cobbler

puglogic
6-1-11, 4:55pm
If anyone out there likes strawberry-rhubarb cobbler as much as I do (mmmmm warm with vanilla ice cream), could I ask you to share your favorite recipe for it? I've tried various ones from the Web but they always turn out just so-so. Anyone have a recipe they really love?

razz
6-1-11, 6:56pm
Have not tried a strawberry-rhubarb cobbler but made some fresh finely diced rhubarb in muffins with a large tablespoon of fresh orange zest that were a real delight if you are looking for rhubarb recipes.
Have any of thecobbler recipes that you tried added the orange zest?

puglogic
6-1-11, 8:36pm
No, but that sounds fantastic, razz.

Rosemary
6-2-11, 8:19am
Most recipes have too much sugar in them and that takes away the tang of the rhubarb. Try using no more than 1/3 of the sugar - 1/2 if that seems too little - and it will probably taste much better.

Merski
6-2-11, 10:10am
Another frugal from the Frugal Gazette...there is so much acid in rhubarb that it requires a lot of sugar to counter balance. Cut the acid with baking soda and you'll cut the amount of sugar you need. I think 1/2 to 1 tsp does the trick!

puglogic
6-6-11, 2:23pm
Based on the comments here, I looked for a recipe with less sugar and with some orange peel (grin) and I found this one, which was just stellar:
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/strawberry_rhubarb_cobbler/

I bumped up the strawberry-to-rhubarb ratio slightly, but otherwise left it as-is. Really amazing, especially with french vanilla ice cream. :D

Jinger
6-8-11, 6:58pm
That recipe looks divine...I plan to make some tomorrow. I find all the Simply Recipes I've tried to be excellent. Thanks!

Float On
6-8-11, 8:27pm
Went to the strawberry farm Monday morning and she had rhubarb as well. Planning to make a pie or cobbler tomorrow. Will probably process some extra for the freezer so I can have strawberry rhubarb in the winter as well. Just too dang hot to use the oven much.

Mrs-M
6-8-11, 9:55pm
Oh my goodness you guys, I am sooo craving rhubarb and strawberries right now! I can even smell it! Thank you for all the helpful tips and suggestions.