PDA

View Full Version : Frugal wedding gift for friend

Stella
6-2-11, 2:01pm
My friends and next door neighbors are getting married on Saturday and I am thinking about a gift. They are in their 40s, so the traditional setting-up-household gifts don't really work here. I may end up getting them a Target gift card, but I am trying to think of other ideas as well. The wife actually teaches frugality and budgeting to teens and twenty-somethings and the husband is a buyer for an organic grocery store, so they would fit right in here. Very easy-going people who go in for creative gifts.

One thought I had was a treat-of-the-month homemade gift certificate. I am notorious for the baked goods. Another thought I had was a gift certificate for DH's handyman services. I believe she talked to him about installing some light fixtures for her soon. He doesn't want to charge her but she wants to pay him.

Another thought I had was a planter with some herbs or lettuces in it. They have a beautiful deck and they like to sit outside, so it would be both decorative and useful.

What would you give? Any other ideas?

sweetana3
6-2-11, 2:10pm
I would love a planter with basil or a couple of easy care plants. They can use them right away or dry them. Very frugal.

Beware the treat of the month as it is easy for them to "not request" or not want treats.

If they are any kind of gardeners, a gift certificate to a gardening supply house attached to a plant would also be nice.

peggy
6-2-11, 2:47pm
I like magazine subscriptions. Maybe Mother Earth or one of the gardening magazines. Like a little gift every month! Or a hummingbird feeder for the deck.

treehugger
6-2-11, 3:38pm
Another thought I had was a gift certificate for DH's handyman services. I believe she talked to him about installing some light fixtures for her soon. He doesn't want to charge her but she wants to pay him.

This option seems perfect, considering the circumstances. I think it would be much appreciated and everyone "wins."

Kara

Rosemary
6-2-11, 3:50pm
I think the handyman service time is a great idea, too.

frugal-one
6-2-11, 4:22pm
You live in Minneapolis? I would give a gift card for the downtown or community area. They would be able to use for restaurants, plays, etc. We received a card for our local area and was able to use for the state park. There were over 100 different places it could have been used. I live in a community of 6000. So Mpls should be awesome! Check it out.