PDA

View Full Version : Is 30 too late to turn your life around?

Rainbow-Flame Mystic
1-8-20, 11:30am
I'm 30. Now, I have tried to look at
30 different career-paths. Most of
the jobs I'm interested in/capable of
are low-income with the exception of
computer-support. To make matters worse,
I'm stuck in Los Angeles where you
can't survive on less than $3,000/month.

These were my interests/strenghts:

- Barista at Coffee-Bean: earns $1,900 to $2,000/month
- Thai Massage-Therapy: $2,300/month plus
- Teacher's Assistant
- Library Assistant
- Veterinary Assistant
- Math-tutoring (self-employment)
- Computer-Support: $2,500/month or more.
________

My questions are:

a) Isn't the idea that long-term stability
comes first? Then salary, then job-satisfaction?

b) Can you rank my career-options from most to
least stable?!? What do you think of my choices?

c) I was told I can rent a room in someone else's
home for $500/month, but is that really sustainable?
_______

I need a lot of help! I want
to be successful. Advice Please

Teacher Terry
1-8-20, 11:35am
You should go to your local unemployment office where each state has a computer program that will give you the job outlook, pay, etc for your local area. This is what I used to help our clients that were looking for work. They make the program so easy to use.

bae
1-8-20, 11:53am
a) Isn't the idea that long-term stability
comes first? Then salary, then job-satisfaction?

Do you think this life is a rehearsal for your next life?

Do you think once all this job stuff is taken care of that you get a "do over" and can have a fulfilling and rewarding life?

ApatheticNoMore
1-8-20, 12:05pm
NO.

But suppose if the question was "is 40 too late?" (talking about work), well there is often a way, but it would be frankly REALLY hard if you were 40 and had no work experience etc. But 30 is a lot younger as far as such things go.

If the question is "is it better to be working, even if you have to live at home because it doesn't pay enough to live off of?". Then YES, it's better to be working than not, to have work experience etc., EVEN IF it's part-time, as long as you can get a place to stay somehow (either continuing to live at home or the $500 room). I don't recommend homelessness as that can be really destructive (tons of homeless straight out die every year on the streets of L.A.).

You really need to talk to people who ACTUALLY WORK in these jobs. Like most people on this board I don't know anything about most of these jobs and I'm not going to pretend I do. I work in the software field mostly database development focused.

But maybe some of these jobs have potential to turn into careers which would definitely pay enough to live off. For instance if you were able to get a teacher's assistant job, even if it was part-time, and you went to school to become a teacher at the same time while living at home or whatever (are you able to do well in school?) you could eventually become a teacher and teachers earn enough to live off of. But I don't want to tell you "become a teacher" because I have no idea if the job market for teachers (in L.A. or elsewhere) is good or bad. I just want to say that jobs can sometimes be seen as first steps on the way to better jobs later.

Teacher Terry
1-8-20, 12:12pm
The job market is local. I know here which jobs would be better but that’s no help to you. I think you want others to do the work for you. Once you have looked up the outlook and wages locally you can tell us what is the best path.

klunick
1-8-20, 12:15pm
I turned a two day temp job into a 25 year (so far!) career. I would suggest going to a temp agency to seek employment. They can put you in different jobs to get an idea of what you might like or be good at. Don't limit yourself to what you "think" you'd be good at. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would be working for a Police Department for the last 25 years. Think outside the box!!!

Tybee
1-8-20, 1:06pm
I turned a two day temp job into a 25 year (so far!) career. I would suggest going to a temp agency to seek employment. They can put you in different jobs to get an idea of what you might like or be good at. Don't limit yourself to what you "think" you'd be good at. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would be working for a Police Department for the last 25 years. Think outside the box!!!

what a great story, thank you for sharing it!

catherine
1-8-20, 1:40pm

I agree with Tybee--great story and great advice, klunick! I think it's such a great story, because that's what worked for me, too! Started out as a temp, took a low-level job at one of the companies I temped for just to get health insurance for my family, and 5 years later, at age 46 went out on a limb and became a professional in that field, with NO inkling before that temp job that this was ever something I'd be interested in or good at.

So it's never too late, and sometimes too much analysis without actually getting out there can put you on the wrong path. There's a lot to be said for being open to whatever the Universe is telling you, and giving 100% to whatever you're doing at the moment.

Gardnr
1-8-20, 1:57pm
There is no magic to a successful life.
a) Is there such a thing in 2020? Stability? I could say that being a Registered Nurse is a very stable career/income. But that doesn't interest you. Job satisfaction is internal. Personally, job satisfaction is #1 in my book. Without it, life is not very enjoyable but instead, stressful.

b) Your choices will not get you out independent in your region. But you already know that. What do I think? It doesn't really matter-not my life. Do be aware that massage therapists don't work forever. Many have to quit by 50 d/t chronic elbow/forearm pain.

c) Only you can answer that. When you don't own, you can lose it any day. Do I know of people who rent a room as their home? Yes, and it works for them.

I echo others' recommendation that you go to the local employment office and get some help. You need to build a whole life, employment is just a piece of it.

Yppej
1-8-20, 5:05pm
No it is not too late. A woman started a new career at my company at age 50. She had never used a computer before.

razz
1-8-20, 6:02pm
Without knowing you and hearing more about you, the best advice is Teacher Terry's. Have you done the employment review with any reputable or recognized agency?

I am having the feeling that you are simply asking the same basic question but using different phrasing than an earlier post. The results will be the same. Go to the employment support centres in your area and let them help you define your interests and strengths. I did when I was considering changing my career and found it quite informative.

Rogar
1-8-20, 7:30pm
I have known several, including myself, who have made major career changes in their 30's. I don't know that immediate job stability is as much a consideration as having a goal in mind and building that into a stable career. For a loose example, being a librarian's assistant while earning a degree in library sciences, then becoming a librarian, library administrator, or instructor. Or being a barista to learn to manage or own a coffee shop or maybe a bakery. You might consider finding a career counselor, although I don't know how much the local unemployment office can offer.

There is a lot to consider, but it's my take that the most successful people find jobs that they can enjoy day in and day out for a long time, and you only get so many chances.

Sad Eyed Lady
1-9-20, 9:44am
I may have missed this somewhere alone the line, but why are you stuck in L.A.? Such a high dollar area makes it hard for you looking for "choices" in the job market, I would think.

Gardnr
1-9-20, 1:30pm
I am having the feeling that you are simply asking the same basic question but using different phrasing than an earlier post. The results will be the same. Go to the employment support centres in your area and let them help you define your interests and strengths. I did when I was considering changing my career and found it quite informative.

+1 I don't know how many different ways there are to ask a single question but we're getting up there.

SteveinMN
1-9-20, 1:57pm
I may have missed this somewhere alone the line, but why are you stuck in L.A.?
I suspect Mystic feels like (s)he* is on a bit of a treadmill because none of the jobs in which (s)he has expressed interest or ability pays what constitutes a (perceived) living wage in the L.A. area. It's hard to think about moving someplace else when you're not bringing in enough money to live independently, never mind save for a move, deposits, etc. In addition, Mystic has posted that (s)he's living at home right now (rent-free except maybe for some family drama?) with at least one child.

I am having the feeling that you are simply asking the same basic question but using different phrasing than an earlier post
I've had that feeling for a while. I'm not sure if Mystic is looking for the basic question to be asked differently, but there have been several threads focused on the same issues.

Terry's suggestions (and that of others here over the several posts) have been similar -- and excellent. There are many resources out there which can help people determine what they're good at, what jobs/careers might take advantage of unique skills and interests the job-seeker has, and how individuals can figure out what they want in life. It will require some solid thought on Mystic's part -- about likes, dislikes, aptitudes, values for which (s)he is willing to prioritize his/her time and energy.

Mystic, right now you're in "analysis paralysis". You need to get out of it or you will not get anywhere. What is most important to you? Getting out of your parents' house? Could you do that by moving someplace with a lower cost of living? Would you move out if it meant not having family support for your role as a parent? Would you take on a roommate to cut expenses? Are there unstated restraints on moving (an ex, special-needs child, etc.)? Would you take a not-terribly-interesting job (or even any job) for a while if it got you the money to move out of your parents' house?

Any choice you make will have its not-so-great aspects; which ones can you handle, at least for a little while? We cannot answer that question for you; you have to set your priority, make your choice, and then let the other aspects of that choice take their places in line.

* not sure if Mystic has stated a gender/preference in previous posts; don't need to look back to verify; the advice does not change

kib
1-10-20, 12:10am
My Dad gave me a book when I was in junior high, entitled, "If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably wind up somewhere else." The bottom line is that it's never too late to point yourself in the direction you want to go, but that's the first step: where do you want to go? What do you mean by 'turn yourself around'?

What is actually important to you? Do you want to be rich? Do you want a very creative life, or a family, a specific kind of career, or the ability to mostly lie on the couch and smoke a lot of weed or spend your days hiking the forests - without starving? No judgment, and I seriously mean that, knowing what you Really want and not what other people tell you is admirable is the whole point. Knowing yourself and what feels right, good and heart warming to you ... that's the first step in figuring out what you actually need in terms of material resources. "What I want right now is x, and using all my brain, my creativity, my resources and my ability to research what I want, this is what x will require."

And I truly believe this, once you know what you're aiming for, it's a lot easier to find a way to hit the target.

happystuff
1-21-20, 7:46am
Is 30 too late to turn your life around?

In my opinion, it's never too late to try.

ejchase
2-12-20, 1:39pm
I would also recommend going to a community college and taking a class in choosing a career. MANY community colleges (and I teach at one in LA) have special programs and services for people looking to find a new career at 30 or beyond.

The key is to just dive in and try things until you find something you like, are good at or can get good at, and that can provide you with the salary and benefits you need.

Tybee
2-13-20, 9:06am
What' nice is 30 is so young--if you go take the class like ejchase recommends, you have massive amounts of time to train for a career and then enjoy that career for years and years.

catherine
2-13-20, 11:42am
I am currently in love with a Season 18 Project Runway contestant. She worked in education for years, and then woke up one day and asked herself, "What would I have liked to learn if I were young again." And her answer was fashion design. So at 58 years old, her husband encouraged her to get a degree in fashion, which she did, and she opened up her own space and now she's in the final 7 on Project Runway, competing with all these 20/30 somethings. She is 64 years old. She changed careers--big time--in her late 50s and just 6 years later is making a name for herself.

Honestly, I think I'm going to hang up her picture next to my picture of Mother Teresa.

JaneV2.0
2-13-20, 11:59am
I never watch the eliminations. I thought surely she'd be eliminated for her tuxedo look.
I can't get excited about anyone's work this season, but I do love Christian Siriano.

catherine
2-13-20, 12:17pm
I never watch the eliminations. I thought surely she'd be eliminated for her tuxedo look.
I can't get excited about anyone's work this season, but I do love Christian Siriano.

Yes, she dodged that bullet. I agree.. I think Sergio is great, so I'm betting on him to be in the finale.

happystuff
2-20-20, 7:51am

I'm in the process of finding out if early 60's isn't too late. LOL. New career ahead for me?? Fingers-crossed!

catherine
2-20-20, 7:54am

I'm in the process of finding out if early 60's isn't too late. LOL. New career ahead for me?? Fingers-crossed!

Good luck, happystuff!! Can't wait to hear about it!!!

iris lilies
2-20-20, 8:25am
I love Christian Siriano, too. While no one can take Tim Gunn’s place I think Christian is a good choice because he’s so different from fatherly, elegant Tim. He is like your cool honest little brother.

Has anyone watched Next in Fashion on Netflix? I breezed through it and it was wonderful. Their contestants are already established in the fashion world. There was some astonishing collections shown, and the person who won had SUCH interesting clothing. No spoilers.

catherine
2-20-20, 8:38am
I love Christian Siriano, too. While no one can take Tim Gunn’s place I think Christian is a good choice because he’s so different from fatherly, elegant Tim. He is like your cool honest little brother.

Has anyone watched Next in Fashion on Netflix? I breezed through it and it was wonderful. Their contestants are already established in the fashion world. There was some astonishing collections shown, and the person who won had SUCH interesting clothing. No spoilers.

Yes, when I first saw that Tim Gunn wasn't going to be on, and replaced by Christian Siriano, I was disappointed, but once I saw him with the contestants, I changed my mind--he is a very good mentor. Boy, I remember when he won PR.

I'm still rooting for Nancy. Over the years, people over 50 usually don't last long in the competition. She's amazing.

I'll have to check out Next in Fashion! I'll see if DD has seen it, too. Being a graphic artist, she loves all those shows

JaneV2.0
2-20-20, 9:51am
Maybe I'll break down and spring for Netflix just to watch that.

JaneV2.0
2-20-20, 9:53am

Exciting turn of events--break a leg!

happystuff
2-21-20, 7:53am
Good luck, happystuff!! Can't wait to hear about it!!!

catherine and Jane - well, it's really not THAT exciting. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I work for a small, privately-owned online retail company. It is not doing well. My hours have been cut and I need to pick up additional work to make up the difference. I have been working at this place for 16 years (they keep everyone under full time hours so no benefits) and haven't really forayed out into the world of job-hunting for that long. I *may* have a substitute 2nd shift custodial job lined up. I should be able to leave the first job and go straight to the 2nd when I get called.

See... I told you nothing very exciting. Hopefully enough to get back the income that has been lost.

Tybee
2-21-20, 8:07am
I am your age, happystuff, and I think it is really exciting when someone our age goes out and gets a job and makes up income that has been lost! Way to go!

catherine
2-21-20, 8:46am
I am your age, happystuff, and I think it is really exciting when someone our age goes out and gets a job and makes up income that has been lost! Way to go!

I totally agree. Good for you!

happystuff
2-21-20, 4:53pm
Thanks. We'll see how it goes.

happystuff
3-15-20, 9:02am
Update on potential, additional part time job.... got everything done that needed doing. Filled out all the papers, took all the medical tests needed and just got the results back. Need to hand them in, but with the closings taking place, not sure when/how that will happen. Waiting for one last government check to be completed and I should be good to go! Again, "time" will tell if and/or when any of this will actually come to fruition. Fingers still crossed. LOL.

Tybee
3-15-20, 9:11am
Update on potential, additional part time job.... got everything done that needed doing. Filled out all the papers, took all the medical tests needed and just got the results back. Need to hand them in, but with the closings taking place, not sure when/how that will happen. Waiting for one last government check to be completed and I should be good to go! Again, "time" will tell if and/or when any of this will actually come to fruition. Fingers still crossed. LOL.

Great news, good luck!

happystuff
3-15-20, 9:16am
Thanks, Tybee.

ApatheticNoMore
3-15-20, 2:26pm
Yes, its' all good. Good luck.

Coldcash57
4-15-20, 8:56am
I've got two words for you. 48 DAYS.
Dan Miller has a podcast on on weekly called "48 days to the work you love." He is a career coach with an interesting story. He was raised by Conservative Mennonites(similar to Amish- drive horse and buggy, outside toilet, etc.) in Ohio. His father was bi-vocational, preacher/farmer and Dan was expected to take over his father's farm when he grew up. Dan got hold of a 45 RPM single called "The Strangest Secret" by Earl Nightingale' he hid in under his mattress so his parents wouldn't find it and listened to it when they weren't around. It convinced him that he could change his circumstances by changing his attitude. Wanting to escape the farm, he attended Ohio State University and majored in psychology. He went on to get his masters, then moved to California to work as a psychologist. He got tire of "listening to rich kids whine about their problems", so he quit his job and doubled his salary by helping a friend of his at a used car lot.
In the late 80s he got involved in an investment that went south, and ended up being in the red for somewhere around $400,000-$600,000. Having been raised to always be responsible financially he took 14 years to pay back every dollar he had borrowed or convinced friends to invest in the deal. While all this was going one he started a class held at his church geared towards people for finding jobs and what career is best for oneself. He conducted his class for 4 years, and the demand for additional information and handouts grew so much that he put it all into a book. The book is in it's 4th edition and is called "48 Days to the Work and Life You Love."
The best way I know how to describe Dan Miller is this: though I've never met him he's the only person I've encountered via online or through podcasts that I would trust enough to give him the keys to my property to watch if I went on vacation, or even to watch my family if necessary. I've come to trust the man that much. Of course it doesn't hurt that I've been listening to him for over 10 years now.
Even if a person isn't looking for a career change, listening to Dan is really uplifting for a person. In these time where everything on Facebook or anywhere else online is negative, Dan is eternally optimistic, though not overly.
His podcast is "48 Days to the Work You Love" and his book is "48 Days to the Work and Life You Love". I can't recommend him enough, and this has been an unpaid endorsement.

Coldcash57
4-15-20, 8:58am
As for 30 being too late to change careers, or even 40, I'm 62 and transition now into a new career. As long as we breath there's hope!

Coldcash57
4-15-20, 9:02am
klunick,
Did you work for the same company for that 25 years? I ask because my entire life has been spent as a temp worker. The number of jobs(not companies) I have held is in the area of 180, and that's over a 43 year period.

SteveinMN
4-15-20, 11:43am
Welcome to the forum, Coldcash! Sounds like you could have some interesting stories to tell.

I hope Rainbow sees your post. I know (s)he hasn't responded to this thread at all and has typically not responded to other similar threads posted. Sure could use some direction, though.

invisibleflash
4-16-20, 6:23pm
OP, L.A. and NYC is a tough nut to crack unless you pull in big bucks. I suggest you move somewhere where you have a smaller nut to crack. $3K rent in L.A. = a fairly decent life somepalce else.

Good luck!

izzy95
4-24-20, 4:33pm
It's never. too. late!

Txbeauty
6-8-20, 7:38pm
Never to late! I am 45 and starting my 3rd career.