PDA

View Full Version : The introduction of new products... (Household).

Mrs-M
6-3-11, 2:23pm
When it comes to the introduction of new products (on the market related to household needs), do you tend to stay away from purchasing/trying them, or do you bite and give them a try just to say you did? For the sake of.

Just as an example, I'm talking things like The Swiffer, or other related products.

benhyr
6-3-11, 2:50pm
We stay away from them until we're positive they'll provide benefit either through reviews, word of mouth, or mulling it over enough.

As an example, I finally bought a Swiffer this winter because we have enough hard surface floors in this house (moved in Sept 1st) on one level that the convenience factor seemed worth it (I've since been too lazy/cheap/eco-friendly to get another thing of pads for it so I'm using a microfiber cloth on it)

beckyliz
6-3-11, 4:23pm
I on the same plane as benhyr. I don't like to buy household gadgets that only do one thing. I also have to know where they'll be stored before I buy.

Sad Eyed Lady
6-3-11, 4:40pm
No I usually don't jump into buying something new that comes on the market unless I see a clear need for this product, and/or it does the job better than what I currently use. As beckyliz said, I don't like a gadget that only does one thing. I could never understand the excitement over a salad shooter - why not use a knife? Or other such gadgets when what you've used all along still works perfectly well.

H-work
6-3-11, 4:42pm
I was quick to buy the swiffer-like mop. I did choose the clorax ready mop because you can easily refill it with your own cleaner. I use it with my own fabric wipes instead of the disposable ones. It was the ease of use I wanted, not the disposable part of it. But I hate regular mops so was looking for something like it.

Other things, I'd only try if there are rave reviews. I've thought of a roomba robot vacuum. But I've just heard too many poor reviews. Instead, I just taught my kids to vacuum, lol.

I'm game to try kitchen gadgets, but only when I find them for a fraction of the cost at a thrift store. Then, if I don't like it, I can re-thrift it (or toss it if it's too horrible to inflict on humanity) and I'm not out much. Often, when I see the gadget in person, it's so flimsy and cheap looking, I don't even bother wanting to try it.

Some new products aren't worth bothering with. Like clothes pins. Have you seen the cheapo, fragile, pitiful, sad things they try to pass off as clothes pins these days? I snatch up the old ones when I find them. The difference in quality is amazing. I found one plastic jar full at a yard sale a couple weeks ago and then another jar at a rummage sale last week. Same with old sewing supplies, I snatch those up when I see them. Grandma's old thread and needles are so much better quality than you can find today.

Wildflower
6-4-11, 4:39am
I'm not one to jump for new household products. I tend to stay with the tried and true, plus most always cheaper too...

Mrs-M
6-4-11, 2:07pm
Hey everybody! Nice hearing from you. Sometimes I think I should have become a Clinical Psychologist, because I'm forever psychoanalyzing people and things and I over-think EVERYTHING! My mind is constantly going all the time, it never stops.

Me, I'm so old-fashioned that no matter what new products hit the market (so it seems), I never bite. i.e. Ziploc bags with two sealing strips instead of one, newfangled floor-mops, fancy-schmancy cleaners, etc. I am (in a sense) locked in time by my old-fashioned ways and still insist on doing many things the hard way or old-fashioned way. i.e. Washing floors on my hands and knees, and so on.

But I do know people who almost make a life out of buying and trying. If it's new- they own it, or they've tried it. Like the Glade products line. A neighbour of ours started off with the old Glade room spray fresheners you had to manually operate in order to expel the fragrance, then she got the Plug-ins, now she has battery operated ones! Just using this an one example.

Anyhow, I was just interested in hearing your stance on the issue being the SL members that you are.

Mrs-M
2-18-12, 5:44pm
Bump. I really like this thread and would love to hear from more of you.

razz
2-19-12, 8:09am
Had to a laugh about this. I had seen the swiffer adverts for ages and wondered what the fuss was all about. Then I saw a hospital staff member using a commercial grade version and thought that it might be worth looking into. When we got our hardwood installed, I used the swiffer-like system that came with it but didn't go for the vinyl floor mop. A week ago, I finally went looking as I was tired of the getting up and down of vinyl floor cleaning. The Bee mop left things too wet to use quickly. I looked at what Walmart, Canadian Tire, Zellers and Loblaws Super store offered with the price range from $10.50 to $30. I bought the Superstore version for $10.50 and am very pleased with it.

Usually the new and improved is not so I avoid them. In addition, I have simplified our lives so much that it is a rare addition that comes into the house.

herbgeek
2-19-12, 8:20am
I'll try something out if I think it will save me time, or get me to do a job that I avoid because I view it as too labor intensive. Example: I got the Freedom Mop, which is sort of a wet swiffer clone, only you use your own solution, and have a reusable/rewashable pad. I like a clean floor, but I hate hauling out a mop and bucket. And the wet swiffer pads appear to have some sort of chemical that makes the floor sticky and attracts more dirt, probably so that you feel the product is really working, because " look at all that dirt it picks up!". I will clean the floor more often now because its convenient.

Other gadgets get an engineering analysis of cost vs benefits which means I don't usually purchase them. :)

sweetana3
2-19-12, 10:52am
I am one who does not like NEW product. I believe I can cook with a knife and a good grater. I dont need every type of cutting gadget.

I sew with a few simple products and try hard to stay away from the latest and greatest. I use Amazon reviews before buying many things to get an idea of what others have found. I do read them with a grain of salt but if there are a lot of good reviews, like with the iron I bought, it is a good thing. I love my iron that had 300 positive reviews.

Mrs-M
2-19-12, 1:23pm
Razz and Herbgeek. I have tried (so hard) to let go of my old-fashioned floor-washing method/habit, i.e. down on hands-and-knees with cloth and bucket, but I just can't... Getting into (and around) all the nooks and crannies and corners is paramount for me.

Sweetana3. I'm much the same as you. Give me a pot, a knife, and a spoon, and I'm good to go! :) A new iron is on the horizon for me, too.

Nella
2-19-12, 8:37pm
I don't usually buy them when they first come right out of the gate, but I will seriously consider something if it's being used by friends who will give it a good review. For instance, the Swiffer products took me awhile to buy into, but I do like them. I also like the Magic Eraser scrubbers, except that I buy the "house brand," and not the more expensive brand name.

Mrs-M
2-19-12, 10:23pm
I've never tried the Magic Eraser Scrubbers, but my mom suggested I try them to clean off the black scuff marks and dirt marks on our plastic patio furniture, specifically the chairs. According to mom, dad bought a pack of them and with a little elbow grease, their white patio chairs look brand new! Hmmm... something for me to think about now that spring is fast approaching.

daisy
2-20-12, 10:35am
I rarely buy something new until I've heard good reviews from people I know and the product has been around long enough to drop in price. But even then, I generally just go along with whatever has been working for me. I did recently buy a steam mop because my mom has been raving about it for months. I did borrow hers first before I forked over my cash, though. :)

Mrs-M
2-20-12, 11:50am
Originally posted by Daisy.
I generally just go along with whatever has been working for me.Me too. :) How lucky you were to have been able to borrow and try out your moms steam-mop, first, before buying.