PDA

View Full Version : Recycling - at a price

ApatheticNoMore
6-5-11, 3:52pm
Apparently there is a service here that will pick up your recyclables at your door for $20 a month. This is because the city does not do this for apartments and condos. Yea, why didn't I think of this business idea indeed?

But again I'm not signing up for another $20 monthly bill right now being unemployed and all, even if I know it is better for the environment (it would be better for the environment because I'd be more motivated to get 100% of the recycling than I am currently when I already have giant piles of the stuff piling up in my place!) Sigh, it's very expensive being green! Maybe if they also did composting it would seem more worth it.

Florence
6-5-11, 8:08pm
We don't have curbside recycling here either but there is a recycling center where we can drop them off. I feel like the Beverly Hillbillies with my van loaded with a large garbage can full of plastics, another one rattling full of cans, and a third full of paper. But it keeps American beautiful...

razz
6-5-11, 8:13pm
Sheesh, our recyclables are picked up weekly, collated and sold for a $ gain by our municipality to save the enormous cost of developing new landfills for the garbage that must be disposed of that way. Something does not make sense to bring barriers into the public recycling.

For the record, most months we may put out only small bags of garbage once, sometimes twice and only once of filled recycling containers by crushing all bottles, cans, etc.

iris lily
6-6-11, 7:58am
For years we paid a service to come and get them, but the city has set up that service (and are charging us for it) only the city has neglected to pick up the recycling can for 3 weeks in a row and DH is livid.

Mrs-M
6-6-11, 2:18pm
Hold the city accountable Iris, seek a credit.

Zoebird
6-7-11, 7:05pm
we have curb side recycling but it doesn't include glass. how weird is that? so bizarre.