PDA

View Full Version : Simple Smoothies

Kat
6-7-11, 5:51pm
I couldn't remember if I posted this or not; I did a search and didn't see it.

Anyway, I've been making a lot of smoothies lately using the following recipe:

1/2 cup fruit
1 cup yogurt
1/2 cup juice
4 ice cubes

Dump everything in the blender and blend until it is the consistency you want.

This recipe doesn't make the best smoothie I have ever had. But it is pretty good and really forgiving--just use whatever you have sitting around in whatever flavor. This is my favorite way to use up sad looking fruit. I've even used Crystal Light in place of the juice. Not as good, but it works okay.

Hope you enjoy it!

Rogar
6-7-11, 10:42pm
I'm a smoothie guy for nearly every breakfast and have posted a couple of times previously with what I do, but will add mine again, just because I really like them. I use a serving of fresh fruit, a scoop of protein powder, a cup or so of rice or soy milk, and a handful of ice cubes. I usually add a tablespoon or so of chia seeds for a little omega 3 and fiber. Blended. It seems like a decent balance of protein and carbs and not too high on the glycemic index, as I'm prone to hitting a sugar valley. My favorite fruits are a pear cored, but not pealed, with a few stawberries. It may sound a little odd, but you might try it if so inclined. But like Kat, I use whatever is around. Anyway, it seems to keep me going better than about any breakfast that is mostly carbs and has a lot of simple sugars.

I've not tried adding greens, but remember it coming up a while back, and will be trying some spinach or chard from the garden soon.

Kat
6-7-11, 10:49pm
Thanks for sharing what you do, Rogar. I have tried adding whey protein to my smoothies, but I think they make them taste weird LOL DH does it all the time, though, and says it tastes WAY batter than mixing it with water. ;)

I've made green smoothies before, and they're okay. I don't think they are bad tasting, but the color throws me off! I'd really rather just eat the spinach or whatever. :laff:

kally
6-7-11, 10:49pm
I always use frozen banana.

puglogic
6-7-11, 11:52pm
My favorite smoothie du jour: 1 frozen banana (in chunks) + 1 orange, outer pith removed and chunked + 1 scoop vanilla whey powder + 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt + 1 splash coconut/almond/rice milk + a small handful of berries. I sip on the thing for about two hours, and it's heavenly.

chrisgermany
6-8-11, 4:44am
I always freeze those very soft leftover bananas, peeled and baged in chunks, and use them for smoothies. They are cheap in the shop and can be used frozen.

pinkytoe
6-8-11, 8:15am
Ours is similar thought we skip the dairy and use carrot juice or almond milk as a base and add a handfull of spinach to make it green. Fruit varies by what we have on hand - fresh or frozen. Sometimes we add spirulina. flax, hemp, chlorella or defatted peanut flour for proteiin.

libby
6-8-11, 9:57am
I don't use ice in my smoothies. For protein I use a handful of almonds and I usually add in spinanch and avacodo.