PDA

View Full Version : I miss Katie On CBS News

heydude
6-8-11, 12:18am
I miss Katie on CBS news. I don't like ABC news even with Diane. I don't like NBC. I like CBS news. I am familiar most with their news reporters and their format and I like it. It just seems normal. Not so stand-off-ish or over dramatic. Just simple news straight forward. No hype or stuff.

But this new anchor guy, he is like a stock photo. He is cardboard. He is like not even human, reminds me of a robot. I can't even make out what he is saying half the time cause he says it with so much stand-off-ish matter of fact-ness that leaves me not believing he even knows what he is saying.

Katie was so relatable. I could understand her. She was there with you. You can feel connected.

Ugh.

Wildflower
6-8-11, 4:49am
Isn't it funny how we get attached to people on TV....I still miss Charlie Gibson since he retired from ABC news. I'm starting to like Diane Sawyer now, but it's taken awhile.... I was very touched by how compassionate and emotionally affected she was by the Joplin tornado tragedy here in my home state of Missouri. She stayed here for 3 days reporting and it was brutal. :(

Selah
6-8-11, 8:24am
Scott Pelley on CBS does take some getting used to, since he edits his own copy and has a very strong "60 Minutes" influence, from whence he came. He has more of an edge than Couric does, which CBS is probably looking for. They gave her SO much crap at first, but she stuck it out and did a great job. But Pelley has paid his dues...he is an excellent journalist. He will probably unstiffen a bit after awhile, since he's probably terrified!

peggy
6-8-11, 8:54am
I miss Tim Russert. He was so good and you could just tell he thoroughly enjoyed every second of what he did. I'm liking his son too as he matures into the role.

Florence
6-8-11, 9:37am
I still miss Tom Brokaw. When I was a child, we always watched Walter Cronkite. Does anyone remember his series You Are There? I thought it was wonderful.

Mrs-M
6-8-11, 11:35am
I remember Walter Cronkite as a kid. "And that's the way it is"... I even remember that too! I miss Stone Phillips and my husband misses Jane Pauley, both of whom served long tenures on Dateline. I also miss Peter Jennings and Larry King.

loosechickens
6-8-11, 1:47pm
Give Scott Pelley a chance....he's known as a "journalist's journalist", and is considered to be one of the most probing interviewers around. He's not as folksy as Katie Couric, but he's way more than just a new news anchor, and I think he'll grow on you. At least I hope so, because I've got a lot of respect for him. (Not that I didn't think well of Katie Couric, too).

Florence
6-8-11, 1:50pm
I remember Walter Cronkite as a kid. "And that's the way it is"... I even remember that too! I miss Stone Phillips and my husband misses Jane Pauley, both of whom served long tenures on Dateline. I also miss Peter Jennings and Larry King.

Oh yes, "And that's the way it is..." And Peter Jennings!!

heydude
6-8-11, 6:35pm
thanks Selah. i will give him a chance. i do want him to suceed. thanks for the insight.

mtnlaurel
6-9-11, 6:35am
Someone brought up Larry King.... I wasn't a faithful watcher, but would occasionally watch when there was a guest I was interested in.

I've watched Piers Morgan a couple of times, and he totally grates on my nerves. He seems like the ultimate nerd that thinks he's cool.

Mrs-M
6-9-11, 10:20am
That was me Mtnlaurel, I brought up Larry King. :) When there was a crisis of sorts unfolding or serious breaking news, I turned to Larry King. He seemed down to earth and lived up to it, and I liked that about him. He wasn't there for himself, he was there for his viewing audience.

grendel
6-11-11, 1:45pm
I miss Peter Jennings. I regret that I didn't discover him until his 9/11 coverage.

puglogic
6-11-11, 4:28pm
Peter Jennings was the last TV news anchor I ever respected, and the last one I ever watched. I really can't stand TV news now. So scripted, coiffed, slanted, and dumbed-down.....

grendel
6-11-11, 8:04pm
Peter Jennings was the last TV news anchor I ever respected, and the last one I ever watched. I really can't stand TV news now. So scripted, coiffed, slanted, and dumbed-down.....

Yep. And informal. Our local weatherperson was engaging in witty banter with the announcer and ended the exchange with "Whatever." I guess if she agreed with him, she would have said, "True Dat."