PDA

View Full Version : photos that will make you think twice about our legacy

pinkytoe
6-8-11, 10:47am
Maybe someone has already posted these but I find them to be very powerful and incredibly sad that we have allowed this to happen with our consumptive ways:
http://www.chrisjordan.com/gallery/midway/#CF000313%2018x24

Mrs-M
6-8-11, 11:41am
How incredibly sad... I have a searing level of frustration and anger right now. We are so destructive. If not directly, indirectly.

Gingerella72
6-8-11, 11:44am
Those are some very sobering photos. Morbid, but necessary to see. Thank you for sharing the link.

Float On
6-8-11, 11:57am
Sad.

bke
6-8-11, 1:01pm
Wow. I don't even know what to say. It's just so wrong.

Gizmo
6-8-11, 1:35pm
Wow, very sad photos. I've had this feeling riding in to work on my bike, too. Everyday I see twice as many dead animals as live ones. On one of my rides to work a few years ago I drove by a raccoon massacre site... during the night someone had killed over 20 raccoons and ducks and they were laying all over the field and in the road going by it. Very sad.

fidgiegirl
6-8-11, 7:34pm
I have seen these before and they are indeed disturbing.

I have had plastic on the mind lately and your post made me do a little looking.

I find this guide very interesting: http://plasticfreeguide.com/ Might try a few of them out myself.

Mrs-M
6-8-11, 8:17pm
Wow Fidgiegirl, that is one totally awesome list/site! Thank you greatly.

bicyclist
6-10-11, 12:38pm
The pictures of the bird with all of the plastic junk inside it are very powerful. I am trying to use fewer bags, especially plastic bags by bringing durable cloth or plastic bags back to the grocery stores I patronize. It takes changing one's thinking a little but, it is well worth the effort.
There are plastic bags everywhere I ride my bicycle in the city and along country roads. When I go to the Jersey shore, they are washed up along the beach. Birds, fish and animals are ingesting the plastics. Can we sacrifice a little of our convenience so they can live or live a little better at least?
Sincerely, bicyclist

danna
6-10-11, 1:51pm
Thank you both for the sites...apalling pictures...

pinkytoe
6-10-11, 3:19pm
If you wonder where he took these pictures as I did, here is the info from the website:

On Midway Atoll, a remote cluster of islands more than 2000 miles from the nearest continent, the detritus of our mass consumption surfaces in an astonishing place: inside the stomachs of thousands of dead baby albatrosses. The nesting chicks are fed lethal quantities of plastic by their parents, who mistake the floating trash for food as they forage over the vast polluted Pacific Ocean.

For me, kneeling over their carcasses is like looking into a macabre mirror. These birds reflect back an appallingly emblematic result of the collective trance of our consumerism and runaway industrial growth. Like the albatross, we first-world humans find ourselves lacking the ability to discern anymore what is nourishing from what is toxic to our lives and our spirits. Choked to death on our waste, the mythical albatross calls upon us to recognize that our greatest challenge lies not out there, but in here."

Mrs-M
6-11-11, 12:17am
Thanks for the additional info Pinkytoe.

gimmethesimplelife
6-11-11, 1:52am
Very sad, I wish I could wave a magic wand and make this disappear.....It seems there is so little that I can do to affect any change and I find this disheartening. Rob

rosarugosa
6-11-11, 8:44pm
Ouch - that certainly had impact.

porcelain
6-11-11, 9:51pm
My God. This kind of thing affects me deeply...I'm vegan...