PDA

View Full Version : Creepy Craigslist experience

redfox
6-10-11, 7:38pm
I just sold a motorcycle helmet for a friend of mine [I get half the proceeds :)], and the buyer was dreadfully weird. He called me sweetheart on the phone - NO, NO,NO! I am not your sweetheart. Boundary violation flag on the ground.

We met at a local Starbucks, and when I got there I called him, and here's what he said: "I'm parked next to all these Japanese guys, and if the pricks leave me alone, I'll just sit here feeling really out of place." OMG. So, I walk over to his SUV, and there is a gathering of Somali men, drinking coffee, having a smoke, hanging out at the neighborhood coffee joint - pretty standard. Japanese?? Pricks?? WTF?

I hand him the boxed helmet, he hands me the cash, and proceeds to hit on me, check me out, ask personal questions, and call me affectionate names. EEWWW!!!
SO glad we met in public, and he does not have my address. What in the world allows someone to be so disrespectful and inappropriate? I took the long route home just to feel safe & not followed... that's how much he weirded me out.

K. Thanks for 'listening.'

fidgiegirl
6-10-11, 8:33pm
Gross!! What a jerk.

Mrs. Hermit
6-10-11, 9:31pm
Sounds like you handled it wisely, meeting him in public, etc.

jennipurrr
6-10-11, 11:01pm
Ew yuck. That is why I always make Craigslist folks meet me at the nearest gas station if I can help it. There are all kinds of weirdos out there.

Float On
6-10-11, 11:13pm
Yuck!

Mrs-M
6-11-11, 12:12am
Nasty! Very wise setting up a public transaction Red.

mira
6-11-11, 5:29am
Very creepy!! Make that sale and run! I hope he doesn't know your full name? We wouldn't want you to acquire a stalker...

goldensmom
6-11-11, 6:22am
Oh that was creepy, glad you were cautious.

redfox
6-11-11, 7:25am
Very creepy!! Make that sale and run! I hope he doesn't know your full name? We wouldn't want you to acquire a stalker...

He does, and my cell number. If he chooses to contact me, I will be VERY assertive about deterring him. I'm not someone to be messed with.

Kat
6-11-11, 9:00am
ICK! I hope he doesn't try to contact you. He sounds really creepy!

Rogar
6-11-11, 9:20am
It's a little sad that there seem to be so many wierdos like this around. Sometimes I wonder if it is on the increase and a sign of decaying morality.

Maxamillion
6-11-11, 10:58am
That is disturbing.

loosechickens
6-11-11, 2:11pm
"It's a little sad that there seem to be so many wierdos like this around. Sometimes I wonder if it is on the increase and a sign of decaying morality." (Rogar)

------------------------------------------------

Oh, I don't know....I'm 69 years old, and back in the "good old days" when I was young and comely, the world was FULL of creepy guys making passes, (several of them my bosses, with NO recource back in those days other than trying to keep the desk between you while you tried to elude him).

If it's a sign of "moral decay" in our society, it's been going on a LONG time.......actually, I think in many ways we are safer today, because women are more assertive in their refusal to accept such behavior, and haven't been so socialized to "be a good girl" and "not make waves". These days, when the man of the house tries to feel up the teenaged babysitter when he's taking her home after an evening out with his wife, the teenager has other coping skills than just cowering in the farther reaches of the seat praying that there are no red lights between her and her home.

Nope....creepy guys abound, they have always abounded, but I'll take these days of "moral decay" myself, with the much stronger women, much stronger societal disapproval of unwanted attentions, etc. JMHO

redfox
6-11-11, 5:27pm
It's a little sad that there seem to be so many wierdos like this around. Sometimes I wonder if it is on the increase and a sign of decaying morality.

This guy seemed sociopathic to me. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that he is mentally ill, not immoral. I had all my warning systems on alert. When I was a social worker, I got pretty good at sussing out unsafe people, and learned to trust my instincts. In a sexist society, some males - especially if mentally ill - choose women to target, and racist behavior is often expressed; all the unacceptable ways of being in society.

This has reinforced my always make CL deals in public policy.

Selah
6-12-11, 8:51am
Yick! Craigslist must have been his super-frugal alternative to paying to be on an online dating site...what a solution, just hit on the women you buy their stuff from--you'll have their number and know they have some cash in their pocket! I hope you don't hear from him again.

Wildflower
6-12-11, 4:41pm
"It's a little sad that there seem to be so many wierdos like this around. Sometimes I wonder if it is on the increase and a sign of decaying morality." (Rogar)

------------------------------------------------

Oh, I don't know....I'm 69 years old, and back in the "good old days" when I was young and comely, the world was FULL of creepy guys making passes, (several of them my bosses, with NO recource back in those days other than trying to keep the desk between you while you tried to elude him).

If it's a sign of "moral decay" in our society, it's been going on a LONG time.......actually, I think in many ways we are safer today, because women are more assertive in their refusal to accept such behavior, and haven't been so socialized to "be a good girl" and "not make waves". These days, when the man of the house tries to feel up the teenaged babysitter when he's taking her home after an evening out with his wife, the teenager has other coping skills than just cowering in the farther reaches of the seat praying that there are no red lights between her and her home.

Nope....creepy guys abound, they have always abounded, but I'll take these days of "moral decay" myself, with the much stronger women, much stronger societal disapproval of unwanted attentions, etc. JMHO

LC, I totally agree!

Sagewoman
7-13-11, 3:30pm
I've had one creepy guy hit on me in the past year. He was much younger. He saw me as ancient and was going to try to scam me, I am sure. He was very narcissistic and I guess thought I'd be interested in him because he was younger. Quite the opposite. His attitudes toward my age were clear as a bell to me. He wasn't mentally deranged, but was clearly a scammer.

I bought a bunch of stuff from CL in furnishing my house. I did go to people's houses alone, except one time at night I had a friend go with me. Now that I know all the bad stuff about CL, I would only go with a friend. I had one real bad contact with someone, who I emailed and then emailed me in abusive ways. He did seem mentally ill. Luckily I used a hotmail account for that purpose only. Even then, I realized I'd be extra careful with CL purchases after that.