PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor veggie/lettuce washing station

Gina
6-11-11, 11:52pm
In my part of California, water is precious. I always hated bringing veggies, especially lettuce and other greens into the house, washing them, and then putting all that 'good' water down the drain. It just seemed so wasteful. But it was just too much of a pain to carry it outside.

So this year I set up a veggie washing station on the back patio. It's right next to a faucet/hose. I use those white plastic 3-4 gallon buckets that you can get free in grocery stores (ask at the deli or bakery section). I fill them to the desired level with water, then when the washing is finished, I dump it into a trashcan with a hose attached to the bottom. The water flows into a small man-made fish pond that periodically needs topping off. Only now the veggie wash water does it. :)

If you dont have a pond into which to drain the water, You can just leave it in the garbage can, and with a bucket or watering can, apply it to whatever needs it.

What I really love is I can rinse the lettuce with as much water as I want and not feel as if I'm wasting it. Last night I washed the first harvest of beet roots too with no mess/grit in the kitchen. :D

puglogic
6-14-11, 5:08pm
Awesome idea!

redfox
6-14-11, 5:49pm
Pics pleeze! great idea.

Float On
6-14-11, 7:48pm
Good idea. We put a heat/air unit in the wall for our upstairs remade attic area, like a hotel unit. It drips condensation. I put a trash can under it and was amazed at how quickly the can would fill. It's near my berry patch and made watering that area easier.