PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for in travel?

frugal-one
5-16-21, 6:43pm
We usually do nature travel... lately local in state bird watching and pretty hiking areas. In a few weeks we will go to a village wide garage sale and then the next day to a large flea market and will stay one night in a motel. It is such a pleasure just to get away and have a change of scenery.

sweetana3
5-16-21, 6:59pm
Ours always seem to be about food or interesting people. We have over the years gone to conventions about specialty food, the NY Restaurant Assoc. Show, Euro Food Expo, cooking classes, etc. We just returned from a week long cooking class on Summer Suppers and Savory Pies at the JCCampbell Folk Art School in NC. Then we are going to Charleston to visit the sites and eat the great food.

Gardnr
5-16-21, 7:16pm
We go to a location of interest. These include interest in it's history, it's nature, it's cultural experience.

1. We want to see all our National Parks.
2. Fall tour of NE.
3. Route 66.

When we choose a place we stay and immerse. We flew into Denver and rented a car. We spent 14 days on the Colorado summit. We rented a condo in Breckenridge for 2 weeks and that was home base. (It was summer and the condo was cheap back then). We've spent a week in the Boulder area. We've spent 3d in the CO Springs area. When people talk about Colorado, we've been to any place mentioned except Durango and Telluride.

catherine
5-16-21, 7:28pm
Wow, this is shaping up to be a cool thread! Thanks for the ideas!

I have taken advantage of business travel. While work is work, I feel grateful that I have been able to see a lot of places I never would have been able to see, and I have always tried to take advantage of the local sites when I could. Same for DH, when he was working and traveling for business. We've been to probably 20 countries between us and have been to 2/3rds of the States.

Because we've done so much business travel, we are fairly content to stay put. But to answer the question, if/when I travel, it would be similar to frugal-one, with meanders here and there.

iris lilies
5-16-21, 7:44pm
In these United States? Nothing West of Kansas City unless that be a cultural icon such as Santa Fe or San Francisco. I will brave the desert only for spectacular culture. The pueblo Indians’ places interest me as well as some of the National Parks, The Redwoods, the cottages of
Carmel, CA but I have to brave the desert to get to these latter places, so I think not. If I had a million years to live I would like to see springtime in Montana or Wyoming as well the lupines in Texas.

But I will stick to Eastern U.S. and Canada most likely for North American travel. savannah, Charleston,
new Orleans are cities I’ve not seen.A hundred other places interest me. but not Florida, been there done that.

Tradd
5-16-21, 7:46pm
Can I dive and drive there.

frugal-one
5-16-21, 7:58pm
Can I dive and drive there.

https://www.doorcounty.com/newsletter/july-2016/our-door-county/

frugal-one
5-16-21, 8:02pm
Wow, this is shaping up to be a cool thread! Thanks for the ideas!

I have taken advantage of business travel. While work is work, I feel grateful that I have been able to see a lot of places I never would have been able to see, and I have always tried to take advantage of the local sites when I could. Same for DH, when he was working and traveling for business. We've been to probably 20 countries between us and have been to 2/3rds of the States.

Because we've done so much business travel, we are fairly content to stay put. But to answer the question, if/when I travel, it would be similar to frugal-one, with meanders here and there.

We are traveling in state solely because of the pandemic. I still have visions of traveling far and wide. I would also like to see all the national parks in the US. Recently picked up a book about the national parks of Europe. Some cool places to check out there too.

Like Gardnr we pick a location.. fly and rent a car and check out the area. The most recent was the Finger Lakes of NY. There was so much to see and do in that area and it is beautiful.

frugal-one
5-16-21, 8:03pm
In these United States? Nothing West of Kansas City unless that be a cultural icon such as Santa Fe or San Francisco. I will brave the desert only for spectacular culture. The pueblo Indians’ places interest me as well as some of the National Parks, The Redwoods, the cottages of
Carmel, CA. If I had a million years to live I would like to see springtime in Montana or Wyoming as well the lupines in Texas.

But I will stick to Eastern U.S. and Canada most likely for North American travel. savannah, Charleston,
new Orleans are cities I’ve not seen.A hundred other places interest me. but not Florida, been there done that.

Have you been to Palm Springs, CA? I usually don't like desert either but loved Palm Springs.

frugal-one
5-16-21, 8:07pm
Ours always seem to be about food or interesting people. We have over the years gone to conventions about specialty food, the NY Restaurant Assoc. Show, Euro Food Expo, cooking classes, etc. We just returned from a week long cooking class on Summer Suppers and Savory Pies at the JCCampbell Folk Art School in NC. Then we are going to Charleston to visit the sites and eat the great food.

This sounds interesting! How do you find out or research about food conventions? I have done cooking classes and really don't like them. I find most of them to be mostly about "presentation" but a convention about a specialty food would be unique!

Just checked 2021 food conferences and came up with list! Interesting ....

Teacher Terry
5-16-21, 8:08pm
Going to Europe I prefer to really explore a area. So once we spent 10 days just in Rome. We also spent 2 weeks in the Tuscany area. I have been to 30 states and many national parks. I would like to see some civil war battle sites and states such as the Carolina’s.

Gardnr
5-16-21, 8:12pm
Carmel, CA. If I had a million years to live I would like to see springtime in Montana or Wyoming as well the lupines in Texas.

The West is extraordinary. You're missing out.

iris lilies
5-16-21, 8:53pm
The West is extraordinary. You're missing out.

I am old, I cannot experience everything in life so I have to pick and choose. I’m choosing not to go into the desert.

There are extraordinary places in Europe I would like to go but until Covid calms down I won’t be able to do that so I will be doing excursions in the east.

iris lilies
5-16-21, 8:54pm
Have you been to Palm Springs, CA? I usually don't like desert either but loved Palm Springs.
Several of our close friends moved to Palm Springs. You know, I’ve seen pictures and I’m gonna nope out of that although I think there are many cool architectural things in Palm Springs that’s for sure.

Gardnr
5-16-21, 9:00pm
I am old, I cannot experience everything in life so I have to pick and choose. I’m choosing not to go into the desert.

Your perception that the West is desert is inaccurate.

I do understand you cannot see the entire globe and your priority is Europe.

catherine
5-16-21, 9:07pm

I probably mentioned this before, but the only "D" I got in English class was on a brief essay I wrote on deserts. I wrote about how desolate they were, with no life, and my teacher "corrected" me resoundingly. Of course, the #1 rule of writing is, write what you know about, and I had never been to a single desert. I was 46 before I visited the Southwest and I was just enthralled. My son brought me to the Botanical Garden in Phoenix and it was just wonderful. We also climbed Camelback, which was daunting, and it was just fun to experience a wholly different topography than what I was used to in my Northeast home base.

Tradd
5-16-21, 9:12pm
https://www.doorcounty.com/newsletter/july-2016/our-door-county/

Thank you! The Tamara Thomsen in the video is my wonderful dive instructor in WI.

Teacher Terry
5-16-21, 9:51pm
I never wanted to go to the West until I lived here. There’s many spectacular places out here. The east coast is very beautiful also but very different. I also have some places in Europe that I want to see and won’t get to see them all because I don’t like to be gone more than 2 weeks and am not fond of flying that far.

sweetana3
5-17-21, 4:53am
Frugal-one: I agree about many cooking classes. But the folk school is mostly hands on. 4.5 days of lots and lots of cooking. Recommend waiting till next year though so they can return to their community based activities.

The conventions were found with a lot of internet research. Before pandemic, they were held each year. The specialty food fair was three days of over 2,000 vendors in SF. Great excuse to visit. We called ourselves a small coffee stand interested in expansion. Back then $40 tickets got us two days of food and fun.

We are considering going to the French Pastry School in Chicago (recommended by our favorite baker) and ICE in NYC. But we only take multi day classes.

The topic food is really just because both of us can get involved and it gave us a focus for vacations. Other than that, it was "chance" that took us to some locations. A hugely discounted business fare to Japan, a cooking teacher led trip to Thailand, free airfare to India (long story about this one), etc. I do a lot of research. Right now we are pretty lazy and like to take Road Scholar vacations because they are already highly planned and involve a lot of activities we cannot arrange ourselves and a lot of interesting and educated people take the trips. We have taken about 20 and I only had one bad experience that RS took care of.

I never went on hubby's business trips because they were too fast moving and subject to change. They did business dinners and socialization in few days. Although he worked on some of ours to extend the trip.

Tybee
5-17-21, 6:36am
A great question--I think for me, it has always centered around beaches, although I have seen some nice cities like San Francisco. But left to my own devices, I'd go to a beach any day, and try to drag the family along with me.

Tybee
5-17-21, 6:41am
Several of our close friends moved to Palm Springs. You know, I’ve seen pictures and I’m gonna nope out of that although I think there are many cool architectural things in Palm Springs that’s for sure.

I went years ago with my first husband. I had an asthma attack on a horseback ride because of all that fine, red dust. Then I got sun poisoning lying by the pool. That was on a day where we took a tram up and there was snow on the ground. High contrast area--I am a low contrast person.

iris lilies
5-17-21, 8:40am

I do understand you cannot see the entire globe and your priority is Europe.

Our drive-vacation from St. Louis to Las Cruces a few years ago was the worst vacation in a long time, such a contrast to our fabulous trip to Romania and Prague a few weeks prior to that. I don’t want to repeat that trip.

I may have to to go Las Cruces again next year, but will fly. Although then I would like to drive up to .Santa Fe, but that is a 4 hour desert drive, ugh.

razz
5-17-21, 8:50am
Our drive-vacation from St. Louis to Las Cruces a few years ago was the worst vacation in a long time, such a contrast to our fabulous trip to Romania and Prague. I don’t want to repeat that. I may have to to go Las Cruces again next year, but will fly. Although then I would like to drive up to .Santa Fe, but that is a 4 hour desert drive, ugh.

Funny reading the different viewpoints of travel. I have traveled to Europe a few times, Japan, across Canada, the mid-East, etc., but especially treasure the three week tour through the US south-west. One view is human architecture over the centuries and the other is nature's architecture over the eons. They are incomparable, IMHO, and I enjoy them both in all settings.

iris lilies
5-17-21, 8:52am
A great question--I think for me, it has always centered around beaches, although I have seen some nice cities like San Francisco. But left to my own devices, I'd go to a beach any day, and try to drag the family along with me.
I remember one sordid “team building” effort at work where our assignment was to decide where to go on vacation and the choices seemed to be, as I remember, cities or beaches. I am not fond of a beach vacation for more than a day, but I remember just going along with the loudest extrovert in the group who was quite certain everyone would have a wonderful time at the beach. I went along because who really gives a damn at these exercises? We were supposed to negotiate our desires and build team comraderie in doing so.

I honestly thought of places like Phucket in Thailand where beaches are nice and there is plenty of nearby cultural things to explore, but I didn’t speak up.I was a terrible team builder!

I hated that day, for two reasons, well three (one above): it was a command performance on a .Saturday. And while I came into work most all Saturdays on a voluntary basis, that specific day was a major conflict where I was chairing an event for my neighborhood and had to find a substitute for my role, so that sucked big time. And then,a colleague I liked very much made the mistake of being honest during the team building exercise and within 4 weeks he was “out.”

Quite a load of bullshit it was. One should never be forthright at these honesty exercises. And it was long enough ago I can talk about it.

Beach vacations! That is my trigger for dredging up crappy work experiences in my brain! Haha.

iris lilies
5-17-21, 9:05am
I probably mentioned this before, but the only "D" I got in English class was on a brief essay I wrote on deserts. I wrote about how desolate they were, with no life, and my teacher "corrected" me resoundingly. Of course, the #1 rule of writing is, write what you know about, and I had never been to a single desert. I was 46 before I visited the Southwest and I was just enthralled. My son brought me to the Botanical Garden in Phoenix and it was just wonderful. We also climbed Camelback, which was daunting, and it was just fun to experience a wholly different topography than what I was used to in my Northeast home base.
The desert is alive with many things, just things I am not interested in.

It can grow iris tho, I will say that for it! Bearded Iris like sandy dry soil, and Arils are absolute desert plants.

iris lilies
5-17-21, 9:14am
Funny reading the different viewpoints of travel. I have traveled to Europe a few times, Japan, across Canada, the mid-East, etc., but especially treasure the three week tour through the US south-west. One view is human architecture over the centuries and the other is nature's architecture over the eons. They are incomparable, IMHO, and I enjoy them both in all settings.
I lived in the Southwest and culturally, it has some very interesting places, human made. Parts of the topography are ok. I remember the Gila Wilderness in the spring, it was lovely! But I guess that was with rainfall. In general, tho, just not my bag.

iris lilies
5-17-21, 9:16am
I went years ago with my first husband. I had an asthma attack on a horseback ride because of all that fine, red dust. Then I got sun poisoning lying by the pool. That was on a day where we took a tram up and there was snow on the ground. High contrast area--I am a low contrast person.

The dustiness in general is a problem with desert land.

JaneV2.0
5-17-21, 9:24am
I grew up at the beach; I didn't like it well enough to go back, apparently. I have friends who drive to the coast every week or so and explore, collect shells, etc. I enjoy the scenery, but lying in the sand for hours is my idea of actual hell.

Those team-building exercises are another version of hell; I would have done exactly what you did. Or maybe what your colleague did. The loudest person always wins. Maybe that's what's wrong with today's businesses. :D

iris lilies
5-17-21, 9:52am
I grew up at the beach; I didn't like it well enough to go back, apparently. I have friends who drive to the coast every week or so and explore, collect shells, etc. I enjoy the scenery, but lying in the sand for hours is my idea of actual hell.

Those team-building exercises are another version of hell; I would have done exactly what you did. Or maybe what your colleague did. The loudest person always wins. Maybe that's what's wrong with today's businesses. :D

My god we truly were separated at birth! Although probably no one really likes the teambuilding exercises except for the super extroverts. I’m sure it was our marketing person who decided everyone loved beaches and if we didn’t love beaches she would show us how to love beaches. Eyeroll.

Large bodies of water are pretty, who doesn’t like them? They are ok for the day and then I start to wonder “so what else is around here?”

As for my work colleague who was sadly on target with his honesty, he said, and I still remember his exact words ‘ This is the most dishonest place I have ever worked.” Ouch. He had been brought in to right a listing ship. He was a strong and competent manager. He did a good job but he didn’t umm, fit in with our dominant culture I guess, ha ha. We very much liked saying one thing and doing another, but especially loved hopping around from one unfinished project to another and failing to objectively analyze successes. Our attention span was that of a toddler.

And because I see too much of the same things in my volunteer job, I am getting out in October. Since I probably couldn’t complete an entire term next time anyway because we will be moving some time in that period, best to get out now.

Teacher Terry
5-17-21, 11:45am
I love large bodies of water to look at or walk by but a beach vacation is my idea of hell as well as team building exercises. As my son said once “We aren’t beach people.””

iris lilies
5-17-21, 11:53am
I love large bodies of water to look at or walk by but a beach vacation is my idea of hell as well as team building exercises. As my son said once “We aren’t beach people.””
It would be interesting to see the research literature about team building and if those activities actually create barriers and acrimony.

this recent article gives pros and cons of team building efforts at work. It is not always a great thing. No kidding.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/02/210225143709.htm

KayLR
5-17-21, 12:01pm
Well, we do have "some" high desert. Come on, Iris, come see us.3794

iris lilies
5-17-21, 12:55pm
Well, we do have "some" high desert. Come on, Iris, come see us.3794
The coasts are pretty, true. And I will likely go to the Willamette Valley before I die to see the Iris Farms. The major growers are out there. But I will fly so I don’t have to drive through desert.

razz
5-17-21, 1:20pm
Funny but as I read your post about not driving through the desert, I was reminded of a long drive we took around Lake Superior to Thunder Bay and back on the US side. I was delighted with the unique views of rocks, water and trees for the first couple of days but before long, I was sadly sighing, "More rocks and trees!" as they seemed to go on forever. I would probably feel the same way on a long drive through the desert.

Tradd
5-17-21, 1:22pm
Funny but as I read your post about not driving through the desert, I was reminded of a long drive we took around Lake Superior to Thunder Bay and back on the US side. I was delighted with the unique views of rocks, water and trees for the first couple of days but before long, I was sadly sighing, "More rocks and trees!" as they seemed to go on forever. I would probably feel the same way on a long drive through the desert.

Razz - heresy! :D

Alan
5-17-21, 1:40pm
When we travel, we prefer wide open spaces, natural beauty, lots of wildlife and few people, that's why we generally head west. Our western National Parks are spectacular and most have sites of historical significance nearby. We enjoy unobstructed mountain views which stretch seemingly forever and clear views of the stars without all the light pollution.

We'll be leaving for our annual summer trip in a few weeks and probably meander through Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Utah and maybe Idaho. Last summer we did the Dakota's, Wyoming and Montana.

In the winter we have less time so usually head for a beach. Our southern coastal areas are generally pretty vacant over Christmas while still being warm enough to dip your toes in the ocean if you want and I still act like a giddy little kid whenever we see dolphins playing in the Atlantic or whales migrating in the Pacific.

Simplemind
5-17-21, 1:57pm
We either vacation to learn something or to be totally lazy. I've generally enjoyed the learn something far away from home vacations the best. We've now done most of the East Coast states and up into Canada and I've loved every minute of the history and architecture. England, Ireland and Scotland were thrilling for me. For lazy we love Maui where I have been several times and never touched the sand >8) We did several cruises and I don't think I will ever do another and that was pre-pandemic.

KayLR
5-17-21, 2:50pm
The coasts are pretty, true. And I will likely go to the Willamette Valley before I die to see the Iris Farms. The major growers are out there. But I will fly so I don’t have to drive through desert.

Don't miss the Columbia River Gorge.

Jane v2.0
5-17-21, 3:16pm
Don't miss the Columbia River Gorge.

The scenery is impressive, but I-84 is, or was, kind of a thrill ride.

KayLR
5-17-21, 7:06pm
The scenery is impressive, but I-84 is, or was, kind of a thrill ride.

So take 14 on OUR side!

Tybee
5-18-21, 2:53am
I saw the Columbia River Gorge with my sil one time. It was so windy that the car was shaking. I swear you could see the building move--we stopped at the top at some kind of observation place. I refused to get out of the car. It was absolutely terrifying.

I am a flatlander, through and through--one thing I love about the beaches and the prairies, my two favorite landscapes.

happystuff
5-18-21, 10:15am

I drove through the Painted Desert... once. LOL. It was beautiful! Then it was pretty! Then is was boring. Plus, I really, really wanted to see a roadrunner... nope. But I can say that I was at the Painted Desert. :)

JaneV2.0
5-18-21, 11:50am
So take 14 on OUR side!

We did that once--not sure it was 14, but it felt vastly different from the I-84 thrill ride.

Simplemind
5-18-21, 12:11pm
Tybee it sounds like you were at Crown Point. Yep, the Gorge can get very blustery. I used to live near there and lost my garbage can once a week :~)

JaneV2.0
5-18-21, 12:29pm
The Columbia Gorge must be a geologist's delight--the rock formations!

KayLR
5-18-21, 12:48pm
It is....these are from the north side looking east from Cape Horn, and one from a trail looking at Beacon Rock.37973798
And Tybee, I'm sure you were at Crown Point, too. That is a really windy place, but what a view! I know I have some pics from there, but would take me an hour to find them.

JaneV2.0
5-18-21, 1:33pm
If the building at Crown Point was swaying in the wind, I don't blame you for staying in the car!

frugal-one
5-18-21, 6:09pm
When we travel, we prefer wide open spaces, natural beauty, lots of wildlife and few people, that's why we generally head west. Our western National Parks are spectacular and most have sites of historical significance nearby. We enjoy unobstructed mountain views which stretch seemingly forever and clear views of the stars without all the light pollution.

We'll be leaving for our annual summer trip in a few weeks and probably meander through Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Utah and maybe Idaho. Last summer we did the Dakota's, Wyoming and Montana.

In the winter we have less time so usually head for a beach. Our southern coastal areas are generally pretty vacant over Christmas while still being warm enough to dip your toes in the ocean if you want and I still act like a giddy little kid whenever we see dolphins playing in the Atlantic or whales migrating in the Pacific.

Alan.. Know you recently went to the Smoky’s. Could you tell the highlights and what should not be missed? Will be planning a trip and always nice to get tips!

Alan
5-18-21, 7:53pm
Alan.. Know you recently went to the Smoky’s. Could you tell the highlights and what should not be missed? Will be planning a trip and always nice to get tips!
To me, the best part of Tennessee is the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. It's great for scenery, wildlife, hiking etc., the view from Clingmans Dome is spectacular! Our first half dozen or so trips to that area were for scenic motorcycle rides within the park and along the Tail Of The Dragon (https://tailofthedragon.com/), the Cherohala Skyway (http://www.cherohala.org/) and the Smokey Mountain Loop (https://smokymountainloop.com/). On one of those rides we had a bear run across the road just in front of us, that was the most exhilarating yet frightening ride we ever had.

If you're more of a shopping, restaurant, amusement park, upside down building sort of traveler the adjacent areas of Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg should keep you entertained for weeks. Plus if you travel just a little farther south you can visit an actual sovereign nation in Cherokee NC (https://visitcherokeenc.com/#home).

Our recent trip was a spring break getaway for our grandson who wanted to ride the steam trains at Dollywood, one is named Klondike Katie after it's initial use hauling supplies for the creation of the ALCAN Highway and the other is named Cinderella based upon the fact that its boiler has a tendency to throw flaming cinders out the smokestack. The other train ride was on the Smoky Mountain Railroad (https://www.gsmr.com/) along the Nantahala Gorge.

If you don't like crowds, avoid the whole Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. That makes me crazy.

Gardnr
5-18-21, 9:24pm
If the building at Crown Point was swaying in the wind, I don't blame you for staying in the car!

It is magnificent. So much beauty in the gorge. If one lives in the NW, one is accustomed to frequent winds with gusts up to 50mph.

Tybee
5-19-21, 4:27am
That looks like it. Maybe it was me who was shaking!

Absolute terror.

frugal-one
5-19-21, 8:05am
To me, the best part of Tennessee is the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. It's great for scenery, wildlife, hiking etc., the view from Clingmans Dome is spectacular! Our first half dozen or so trips to that area were for scenic motorcycle rides within the park and along the Tail Of The Dragon (https://tailofthedragon.com/), the Cherohala Skyway (http://www.cherohala.org/) and the Smokey Mountain Loop (https://smokymountainloop.com/). On one of those rides we had a bear run across the road just in front of us, that was the most exhilarating yet frightening ride we ever had.

If you're more of a shopping, restaurant, amusement park, upside down building sort of traveler the adjacent areas of Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg should keep you entertained for weeks. Plus if you travel just a little farther south you can visit an actual sovereign nation in Cherokee NC (https://visitcherokeenc.com/#home).

Our recent trip was a spring break getaway for our grandson who wanted to ride the steam trains at Dollywood, one is named Klondike Katie after it's initial use hauling supplies for the creation of the ALCAN Highway and the other is named Cinderella based upon the fact that its boiler has a tendency to throw flaming cinders out the smokestack. The other train ride was on the Smoky Mountain Railroad (https://www.gsmr.com/) along the Nantahala Gorge.

If you don't like crowds, avoid the whole Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. That makes me crazy.

Thanks for the input! I have from the library books on best hikes in Smoky Mntn Nat’l park and Blue Ridge Mntn road trip. I will also contact the parks in the area for more info. Would probably go in Sept? Not sure because it is said this is one of the most frequented parks in the US. Wonder if may be overrun from everyone wanting to go now that they are vaccinated? Going to avoid the shopping places you mentioned.. that is not my idea of fun.

happystuff
5-19-21, 10:52am
DH and I did a drive through the Smokey Mountains about 26 years ago. All I can remember is that it was absolutely beautiful and I think we did a cave or two.

frugal-one
2-5-23, 9:31am
Couldn’t find the post discussion about route planning …. so will post here. I haven’t tried this out yet but it looks promising.

https://www.mapquest.com/routeplanner

littlebittybobby
2-5-23, 6:16pm
Okay---What I look for in travel is Short Distances. Yup. I like driving through Zurra, if there's a very good reason to get somewhere, and then back, alive. Driving for drivings' sake, is not something I do to entertain myself. See? But yeah---there's the suburban village o' Nixy,m the fastest-growing city in Zurra. Traffic is Murder, there. It is populated by suburbanites who drive back and forth every day, to their offices in the big city. They live in recently-constructed Dream Homes on large lots, where there are more things you are NOT permitted to do, than things you ARE, which I believe is pointless. See? Mowing obsessively is of course allowed. So is grilling large cuts of MEAT. Yup. But yeah---Nixy's best-kept secret is a little scrap metal dealer located on a side road, which I discovered nn my way to buy a used table and bookshelf from a party who was moving to wah-skonsun. I haven't been by there since last year, so they may have been put out-of-business, by the powers-that-be. Who knows. Hope that helps you some. Thankkm mee.

gimmethesimplelife
2-5-23, 8:57pm
When I went to Morocco in 2015, I wanted to go somewhere very different. Indeed I got my wish. Rob

Greg44
2-8-23, 4:42am

Well we live near them, but tend to speed up and down I-5 and never see them. The Iris and tulip fields are beautiful - at least the photos I have seen of them. Now that I don't work Saturdays any longer (have my entire life), maybe this will be the year!

Greg44
2-8-23, 4:47am
I have gotten to travel a lot in my younger years - Europe, New York, Florida, Bahamas, Australia (lived there), New Zealand, Hawaii (lived there), western USA, Mexico. When I finally retire I told my wife I want to go to an island - that is warm and has white sandy beaches, palm trees and aqua colored water. I just and to go soak up the sun and read! Airport to hotel to beach.

littlebittybobby
3-30-23, 10:08pm
Okay---a place that is about to become a mecca for the Drive-N-Eat people is the quaint little ol' village o' Herman, Zurra. How do I know this? Well, I keep getting ads on my F-book feed, letting littlebittymee know that it is so. See? But yeah---Herman, Zurra is very romantic, when you sit-n-eat a plate o' food! Yup. See photo. That proves it. Thankk mee.53075308