PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning wax out of car seats?

fidgiegirl
6-15-11, 6:51pm
I had some XC ski wax in the back seat of my car. Unfortunately, one warm spring day it melted and leaked all out all over my seats. So now I have wax all in my seats. Boo. On a warm day I am afraid a passenger's pants might be stained. Right now I have some towels on the seats but would like to clean them properly.

I hate to buy a gadget to clean them.

A carwash can do it, but wondering if I can maybe do it more frugally than that. I think it would be about $30. Also one time I had my car detailed and I puked afterwards, possibly from the chemicals. They stunk.

Not sure if the iron and paper thing would work, though I can try it. It's a pretty liquid kind of wax.

Other ideas?

Tenngal
6-16-11, 8:01am
have you tried putting a warm, and then hotter iron over the paper towels to soak up the wax? Works on carpet and upholstery, try it.

Mrs-M
6-19-11, 8:43pm
I've stopped by this thread many, many times over the past few days, and the only thing I can come up with (that I think would reward you with equal success as Tenngals' helpful suggestion), is to soften and liquefy the wax using a hand-held hair dryer (blow-dryer) and sop up the wax using a soft absorbent cloth or paper towelling. I'm thinking you will be able to work the mess to a stage/point where all that will be left is a subtle darker region which (I would think) should be able to be buffed out completely after the bulk of the mess has been removed.

porcelain
6-19-11, 9:35pm
Is it soaked into the seats or on the surface? If it's not soaked in, you can wait for winter to freeze the seats and just peel it off.

Mrs-M
3-3-12, 12:52pm
Any update to share, Fidgiegirl? :)