PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Take on the Dead Birds/Fish Around the World?

Mighty Frugal
1-5-11, 8:03pm
So, repent...end of the world is near?
Toxic environment?
Coincidence?
What's your take?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bs-ae-animal-apocalypse-20110105,0,3263104.story

Crystal
1-5-11, 8:10pm
*shrug* We can't keep trashing the planet in order to acquire sparkly shiny things. DUH. It's a no-brainer.

Rosemary
1-5-11, 8:13pm
I haven't read today's news about the red-winged blackbirds, but I did think it possible that this sudden death of many marsh-loving birds was related to the explosion and subsequent oil spill in the Gulf last year.

Mighty Frugal
1-5-11, 8:18pm
Sorry, wanted to add another link, was too quick on the posting! It's world wide...what gives?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/05/AR2011010502625.html

kib
1-5-11, 9:01pm
*shrug* We can't keep trashing the planet in order to acquire sparkly shiny things. DUH. It's a no-brainer. Especially not sparkly shiny things that are apparently so distracting they make people stupid as cow pies.

Poco Pelo
1-5-11, 9:49pm
i bet it's the ufo's They must have practice tests for the junior cadets before being certified for cattle mutilation.

CathyA
1-6-11, 7:29am
Its hard to believe that the huge fish kill isn't related too. Now they're saying another type of bird died in large numbers in Scandinavia.
I agree with you Crystal. How can we be surprised? And it might not even be as obvious......like direct pollution. It could be some tiny little part of the circle that we've broken. I like the saying "Man did not weave the web of life. He is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself."

peggy
1-6-11, 8:38am
i bet it's the ufo's They must have practice tests for the junior cadets before being certified for cattle mutilation.

:laff: I think they do crop circles in their senior year!

Actually, I'd look at flight habits of these particular types of birds. Are they flying at a level the other birds do not? And what is different about that level?

Am I wrong or are all these birds blackbirds or of the blackbird family?
It's all very strange, isn't it.

Kathy WI
1-6-11, 9:51am
Maybe the birds were killed by a tornado, which could have happened far away from where they landed. They could have been sucked up into a tornado and buffeted around up in the air for a long time before the wind died down over Arkansas and they all fell. I read something once about a whole bunch of fish raining from the sky somewhere in Kansas. A tornado had touched down on a lake and sucked up the fish, then they dropped out of the sky far away from where they started.

Mighty Frugal
1-6-11, 10:07am
But it happened in various parts of the world. Both birds AND fish. And many of the dead fish washed up with their eyes missing!! Must do some more research...and more frantic running around in a circle..

kib
1-6-11, 12:44pm
Just wanted to say re my cow pie comment, I wasn't addressing anyone here or the fact that we're curious or concerned about what's going on, just a little dig at the apocalypse crowd.

Which is probably also not too PC but I couldn't quite control myself. :|(

Gina
1-6-11, 1:13pm
I don't know about the fish/bird kills, but most people are just doing what most people have always done - grab for all they can get. Basic human nature has not changed. In the past however there just weren't as many of us packed as densely in so many places. In addition to our ever-increasing numbers, we are far more technologically advanced so now we are able to do far more damage in a shorter time. IMO, it's a very bleak picture.

Blackdog Lin
1-7-11, 6:35am
My money's on either geologic/volcanic/tectplate activity/changes, or planet-wide magnetic activity/changes. Perhaps a harbinger of earthquakes.....

IshbelRobertson
1-7-11, 5:00pm
I think that another leaf has fallen on the head of chicken licken....

Mighty Frugal
1-7-11, 8:41pm
I think that another leaf has fallen on the head of chicken licken....

I just find it odd and peculiar that the same thing would happen in various parts of the world around the same time. It's intriguing. Oh, and around these parts it was Henny Penny who made a mad dash to see the king to tell him about the sky falling...

Dharma Bum
1-7-11, 9:29pm
I just find it odd and peculiar that the same thing would happen in various parts of the world around the same time.

Apparently these events occur on average every other day in North America alone, they just rarely get reported. Just goes to show how susceptible we are to media filtering.

Gina
1-7-11, 9:39pm
Apparently these events occur on average every other day in North America alone, they just rarely get reported. Just goes to show how susceptible we are to media decisions.

A few years ago when I was interested and following the progression of bird flu, there were many reports of many birds dying at once from all around the world. Often it was after the birds ate fungal tainted grains.

janharker
1-7-11, 9:43pm
About 10 years ago I was living in Arkansas. At that time bald eagles were dying. The brains finally figured out that the eagles' food, coots, were toxic, having been poisoned by Round-up from the cotton fields.

Gina
1-7-11, 9:49pm
I recall the populations of pelicans on the west coast dropping drastically because of the high levels of DDT that caused their shells to be so thin and soft that the weight of the nesting birds broke them.

There have always been bird kills, but likely there are more now than there used to be because of pollution.

IshbelRobertson
1-8-11, 5:12am
I just find it odd and peculiar that the same thing would happen in various parts of the world around the same time. It's intriguing. Oh, and around these parts it was Henny Penny who made a mad dash to see the king to tell him about the sky falling...

Another case of nations being divided by a common language...