PDA

View Full Version : It still works!

Sad Eyed Lady
6-16-11, 7:18pm
I have started making homemade Kefir. So this afternoon I decided to make a Kefir peach-banana smoothie, but I knew to be frothy and so on it would need a whir in a blender. So, out of the depths of the attic comes the old 1970's, (harvest gold in case you're interested), Waring blender. It worked like a charm! Nice frothy Kefir smoothie - yummy.:~)

Mrs-M
6-16-11, 9:58pm
Sounds delicious Shalom! Love the 1970's harvest gold Waring blender!!! Have you checked out Youtube for Kefir recipes and methods? There's an abundance of them I just know you'll enjoy. (Gosh, the peach and banana combo is making me literally CRAVE one)!

Sad Eyed Lady
6-16-11, 10:59pm
Thanks Mrs-M, I have not looked on youtube, but have checked several other sources. However, I will go to youtube later and check out their kefir recipes.

Mrs-M
6-17-11, 9:12pm
Shalom. Please tell me more about your old 1970's blender. Have you owned it since then? Was it your moms? Where did you get it from? You know me and all things vintage, retro, and old! :)

Sad Eyed Lady
6-17-11, 10:15pm
Yes, Mrs-M I have owned the blender from the day it's harvest gold exterior was THE color appliance to have. I was trying to remember today if it was a house warming gift when we built our first home, or if we bought it ourselves at that time. I believe the year would have been 1978. It is a Waring with the push buttons on the front, loud, (I guess all blenders are), but still works just fine. Now, would you like to hear about my old black rotary dial telephone?

Mrs-M
6-18-11, 2:48pm
Ahhh, so soothing... Hearing about all things old and the stories behind them. (Music to my ears)! :) Actually did a Google search and came up with a few old Waring (harvest gold) blender pictures. So delightful!

Ah yes, classic old vintage rotary telephones! One of my favourite retro topics! We used to own a wall-mounted rotary telephone. It was off white (cream) in colour, and I still think about it every so often. Just loved sticking the long nail of my index finger into the number holes and turning! The sound, the feeling! It was a refection of that era, a time where not much was rushed. When you dialed a number there just was no rushing the turning speed of the dial as it spun through it's cycle. In a sense, it forced you to wait. Not like now.

Anyhow, yes please Shalom, do tell me about your old black rotary telephone. What is it that you loved best about the old rotaries? Ours had a long cord on it (at least I thought it was long), stretched really far anyway! I used to sit down on the floor and snuggle up against the wall when I talked. Coffee off to the side, cigarette in the ashtray. Imagine that, being perfectly content and happy to sit on a hard floor, on ones rump, and chat on the telephone! Not only was that a slower time, it was a more happy time. People didn't concern themselves over who had the biggest house or fanciest car. You just lived your life and were happy to do so. Not like nowadays.

Sad Eyed Lady
6-18-11, 4:02pm
Okay, Mrs-M, the old black rotary dial phone. That is what I grew up with, (also 8 party line - no privacy), then we graduated to color models, wall mounted like your's at times, and then of course the touch tone and cordless phones. A few years ago I started thinking about the old rotary phones and all of a sudden I missed, really missed, that sound they made when dialed! So, off to ebay to search for one. I bought it and the cord had been adapted to plug into the current phone jacks. I loved it! And, if the power goes off - it still works. I have phone service when other people's cordless phones are out. Then one of my cats discovered chewing on the curly cord so I put it in the walk in closest and now I refer to it as - the phone booth!

Mrs-M
6-19-11, 7:10pm
That's great Shalom! :) Just love the phone booth idea!!! Your and my transaction of old retro rotary telephones caused me to search for any sounds I could find of old rotaries ringing or being dialed. See if you recognize any of these. (The first two files and last two files are what you want to listen to).

http://www.soundjay.com/phone-sounds-1.html

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=15826

Sad Eyed Lady
6-19-11, 9:45pm
That's great Shalom! :) Just love the phone booth idea!!! Your and my transaction of old retro rotary telephones caused me to search for any sounds I could find of old rotaries ringing or being dialed. See if you recognize any of these. (The first two files and last two files are what you want to listen to).

http://www.soundjay.com/phone-sounds-1.html

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=15826

Yes, Mrs-M, that's exactly the sounds I remember! Thanks for posting!

Mrs-M
6-19-11, 10:39pm
I knew you'd like them Shalom! The dialing one (first link) along with the repeated ringing (second link) are my favourites! I've gone in and Google searched retro/vintage rotaries and there's a lot to be had out there. I really feel like getting another one now. See what you've done to me! :laff:

Sad Eyed Lady
6-20-11, 10:07am
Not may fault Mrs-M - you were already a vintage junkie before I came along!

Mrs-M
6-20-11, 3:55pm
Indeed, you are right, I was! :) But darn it all anyway, you bragging about your old rotary and all sure didn't help! :~)