PDA

View Full Version : ukulele in 10 days!

Zoebird
6-18-11, 2:24am
Hi All!

So, a funny thing happened on Thursday. My dear friend invited me to her son's birthday party -- not the funny part -- and she asked me "can you play a few songs for the kids at the party, on a ukulele?"

She knows that we have a ukulele, and that i'd tried learning it when DS was smaller, but never got back to it.

Well, it's Saturday, and I can tune it, hold it properly, strum it properly, and I know both the C and F chords! I don't have the rhythm down right, but I'm getting there. :D

Apparently, Fere Jacques is just the c-chord, and I have a fun movement game that uses that tune -- so that's song one *down*.

now i'm trying to find 2-3 more songs that are 1-2 cord songs that can fit the bill. :D

i figure that 3 yr olds may only want to do a few short songs, and i thought we would do some without the ukulele and then finish up with 3 songs using the instrument.

I feel really accomplished! :D

goldensmom
6-18-11, 7:05am
Love the ukelele. I played in a ukelele choir in high school but have forgotten most of what I knew back then. 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' is one my favorites on a ukelele. For 3 yr. olds, 'I've Been Working On the Railroad', 'Oh, Susannah', 'Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah'. I don't think 3 yr olds will be too critical of chords matching melody. Keep up with the uke and have fun.

Mrs-M
6-18-11, 3:30pm
Clap, clap, clap! That's great! How about, Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head?

Zoebird
6-19-11, 3:19am
Yeah, Ryan (DH) said to me "hey, maybe you can learn somewhere over the rainbow!" and I though "yeah, these two cords are pretty easy, maybe I can!" Then i found a youtube tutorial, and got completely crushed. LOL

But, it's still lots of fun. :)