PDA

View Full Version : Mass Shootings in 2021

dado potato
1-2-22, 11:37am
In 2021 there were 636 mass shootings in the United States, an increase of nearly 4% compared to 2020.

2,612 total wounded.

649 total killed.

The top 10 states for mass shootings:
IL 80
TX 53
CA 41
NY 36
FL 31
LA 29
OH 28
PA 27
MI 25
AL 24

In 5 states there were no mass shootings in 2021:
MT
WY
ND
VT
ME

For detailed statistics, see http://www.mass-shootings.info/statistics.php?year=2021

happystuff
1-2-22, 11:44am
Thank you. I think this is "should know" information and I appreciate you posting it and the link.

bae
1-2-22, 11:48am
Meanwhile, we have Chicago:

CHICAGO (AP) — The year of 2021 ended as one of the most violent on record in Chicago, as a rise in the number of shootings left more people dead than in any single year in a quarter century, according to statistics released by the police department on Saturday.

According to the department, 2021 ended with 797 homicides. That is 25 more than were recorded 2020, 299 more than in 2019 and the most since 1996. And there were 3,561 shooting incidents in 2021, which is just over 300 more than were recorded in 2020 and a staggering 1,415 more shooting incidents than were recorded in the city in 2019.

Tradd
1-2-22, 11:54am
Yep, and the Chicago ones are mostly gangbanger related.

Bae, it’s Shitcago.

iris lilies
1-2-22, 2:46pm
Homicides are DOWN in St. Louis rather significantly. That is not mass shootings, though, the subject of this thread.

bae
1-2-22, 3:01pm
I just am always curious how a single “mass shooting” event of 3 or so people causes national handwringing, when 20-30 deaths in a single weekend in places like Chicago rarely get mentioned. Probably … reasons

Tradd
1-2-22, 3:05pm
I just am always curious how a single “mass shooting” event of 3 or so people causes national handwringing, when 20-30 deaths in a single weekend in places like Chicago rarely get mentioned. Probably … reasons

Doesn’t fit the narrative pushed by the reverends and BLM.

Black on black only gets noticed by the locals. Might be some small protests or walks for peace.

Black thug gets deaded by the po-lice, it’s riot time.

Yppej
1-2-22, 4:45pm
If the shooter wears a mask (as many criminals did even before covid) are they saving more lives than they take?

dado potato
1-2-22, 5:04pm

As I see it, the quality of life is negatively impacted by violent crime. One can look at violent crime with a local perspective (wherever one resides), or a national perspective. In the national media a mass shooting event receives attention and coverage due to prevailing stereotypes of criminality. Any mass shooting event tends to be described by public officials as an apex of depravity.

It is intriguing that there are entire states that had no mass shootings in 2021. I have heard that "there's something about an Aqua Velva man". Is there something about being a man in ME, VT, MT, WY and ND?

Rogar
1-2-22, 5:33pm
It is intriguing that there are entire states that had no mass shootings in 2021. I have heard that "there's something about an Aqua Velva man". Is there something about being a man in ME, VT, MT, WY and ND?

I wonder if some behavioral sociologist would relate that to population density or other common demographics?

catherine
1-2-22, 5:51pm
I wonder if some behavioral sociologist would relate that to population density or other common demographics?

I'm just happy to live in one of them. And I live in a town where pizza places have "pay what you can" policies. Not saying there's a correlation between "pay what you can" and no mass shootings. But it sure feels good to live in such a kindly place.

Yppej
1-2-22, 5:51pm
The no mass shooting states all look like ones that would have high levels of gun ownership, and perhaps a culture of respect for gun safety.

catherine
1-2-22, 6:01pm
The no mass shooting states all look like ones that would have high levels of gun ownership, and perhaps a culture of respect for gun safety.

From my experience moving from NJ to VT, I would have to agree. They own guns for sport or for sustenance, and that's about it.

Rogar
1-2-22, 8:27pm

Personal theory, but I think we've established some new norms and the gun violence coming out of places like Chicago just isn't news anymore. We've had maybe five shooting events with >3 victims in the last few months, but I am not sure I could name them all and some of them were school shootings. Sort of the same theory I could use for extreme weather events lately.

LDAHL
1-11-22, 1:47pm
Three killed or wounded strikes me as a pretty low threshold for a “mass shooting”. That’s a skirmish between corner boys in a lot of places. Who decides such things?

happystuff
1-12-22, 9:59am
Three killed or wounded strikes me as a pretty low threshold for a “mass shooting”. That’s a skirmish between corner boys in a lot of places. Who decides such things?

I imagine a mass shooting could be "shooting into/at a mass of people" - not necessarily how many are killed or wounded.

Tradd
1-12-22, 11:55am
I imagine a mass shooting could be "shooting into/at a mass of people" - not necessarily how many are killed or wounded.

There actually is a threshold for number of people shot to be considered a mass shooting. I forget what the number I had heard was. I’ll try to remember to look it up later.

dado potato
1-12-22, 11:59am
The data in my original post from Mass-Shootings.info apparently uses 4 deaths as the threshold for a mass shooting.

bae's comment on 1-2-22 referred to "3 or so" deaths, which was accurate. One problem with any arbitrary minimum is that not all deaths from gunshot wounds are immediate. In some incidents there are injured victims who may be hospitalized for an indefinite period ending with their deaths.

Stanford University MSA Data Project uses a threshold of 3 deaths.

The FBI uses a threshold of 4.

bae
1-12-22, 12:31pm
The data in my original post from Mass-Shootings.info apparently uses 4 deaths as the threshold for a mass shooting.

bae's comment on 1-2-22 referred to "3 or so" deaths, which was accurate. One problem with any arbitrary minimum is that not all deaths from gunshot wounds are immediate. In some incidents there are injured victims who may be hospitalized for an indefinite period ending with their deaths.

Stanford University MSA Data Project uses a threshold of 3 deaths.

The FBI uses a threshold of 4.

And FEMA defines a "mass casualty incident" as “an event that overwhelms the local healthcare system, where the number of casualties vastly exceeds the local resources and capabilities in a short period of time.”

You'd be surprised how many resources handling a single gunshot wound can take. (Assuming you live in a part of the world where trauma care is available, of course...)

iris lilies
1-12-22, 12:44pm
And FEMA defines a "mass casualty incident" as “an event that overwhelms the local healthcare system, where the number of casualties vastly exceeds the local resources and capabilities in a short period of time.”

You'd be surprised how many resources handling a single gunshot wound can take. (Assuming you live in a part of the world where trauma care is available, of course...)

yeah, it’s well known in St. Louis that you don’t wanna follow a gunshot victim or two Into an emergency room with your heart attack because you will be waiting.
For treatment. I live less than a mile from one of the country’s best Trauma centers treating gunshots. Probably more than two gunshot wounds would overwhelm them, tho, and they would route me with my heart attack to another trauma center, maybe even out in the county where gunshots are less common.

So it’s ironic to live in a place that has experienced trauma center but when experiencing a trauma, really depends on who’s ahead of you in line. Or who arrives at the same time.

bae
1-12-22, 12:50pm
For treatment. I live less than a mile from one of the country’s best Trauma centers treating gunshots. Probably more than two gunshot wounds would overwhelm them, tho, .

From our analysis here, we could handle two, maybe three, and get them to one of the best Level One trauma care centers in the country in time to make a difference. If all the dominoes lined up - airlift resources in the region are often oversubscribed. After that, well, there's a reason I have a triage kit in my gear.

Tradd
1-12-22, 1:00pm
Cook County’s Stroger Hospital is where the Navy sends Corpsmen from Great Lakes Naval Training Station in North Chicago, IL (about an hour from Chicago- this is the Navy’s only remaining bootcamp) to learn about gunshot wounds for battle purposes.

bae
1-12-22, 1:04pm
Cook County’s Stroger Hospital is where the Navy sends Corpsmen from Great Lakes Naval Training Station in North Chicago, IL (about an hour from Chicago- this is the Navy’s only remaining bootcamp) to learn about gunshot wounds for battle purposes.

I always feel so cheerful when I help teach the "Stop The Bleed" classes here in our community :-(. I mean, yes, good skills to have, and it's nice that people have an interest, but it raises some fundamental questions...

https://www.stopthebleed.org/