PDA

View Full Version : Plants that clean the air

catherine
6-20-11, 8:17am
Anyone have any suggestion for plants that can help rid the indoor air of secondhand smoke? My DH smokes these nasty little cigars (Black and Mild). I HATE them, and while I started out telling him he had to smoke outside, I've modified it a little and now I don't really mind if he only smokes in his home office. Problem is, I swear that stuff comes right through the walls and through the ductwork.

I have a very strong emotional response to tobacco--my mother died of emphysema and I just don't understand how anyone could smoke these days. Really, what is the benefit??? It's expensive, it kills your health and quality of life, and you don't even get a high from it.. And I also get angry because smoking was pushed on us by corporations--how great is that--sell a product that people get physically addicted to--what a way to get rich... Sorry, I digress...

Anyway, DH is somewhat, but not entirely understanding of my loathe for the smoke. He thinks I'm being a fussy PIA. He smokes in the family room after I go to bed, despite my asking him not to.

So, I don't want to get an air purifier, but I just read that certain plants, like the Bamboo Palm and Chinese Evergreen have been studied by NASA and they actually clean the air of certain toxins like formaldehyde and carbon monoxide.

Anybody have any good suggestions on how much plant I need to absorb the secondhand smoke?

loosechickens
6-20-11, 2:02pm
Spider plants are supposed to have properties of cleaning impurities out of the air, but.......

IMHO, since secondhand smoke has been shown to have health effects on the nonsmokers forced to share airspace with smokers (who are making a decision to risk their health, but have no right to risk yours), no matter how much of a PIA he may think you are, you have a right to breathe smokefree air.

Smoking not only damages HIS health, which he can choose to do, but it damages YOURS, which he does not have the right to do.

His right to do as he likes ends where the smoke enters YOUR lungs.

When hotels, RV dealers, etc. are faced with rooms reeking of smoke and need to get rid of the smell, they use an ozone machine, which removes the odors, so you could check into the rental of, or getting someone in to cleanse the house, IF you could persuade him not to smoke indoors again. But, that obviously isn't something that could be done over and over if he continues to do it.

You can try plants, but I'd almost look at replacing the husband, instead...... ;-)

Mrs-M
6-20-11, 3:42pm
Hugs Catherine. No one deserves to put up with a SO's bad habits, especially when those habits are detrimental to ones health and the other knows the hardship and animosity they cause. Your husband should be more respectful and considerate of you and your wishes.

http://www.zone10.com/nasa-study-house-plants-clean-air.html

Check out the great choice in plants half way down the page. An excellent variety that meet the needs of your situation.

axis9313
6-20-11, 11:17pm
You couldn't have enough plants to absorb all the smoke.

Other possible solutions - he can smoke outside, you can isolate the room with it's own separate air purification system, he can quit smoking, or like the other lady said, you can get a new husband.

My BF smokes outside in all weather; if he can do it, your DH can. In fact, he has come to enjoy sitting on the porch swing watching the birds and the neighborhood.

Rosemary
6-21-11, 7:09am
Many components of the smoke are probably not filtered by plants - such as the particulates.

reader99
6-21-11, 3:28pm
How come you don't want to get an air purifier?