PDA

View Full Version : WARNING - seriously personal and embarrassing topic

Sad Eyed Lady
6-21-11, 9:30am
As I warned, this is an embarrassing topic to me, but I am desperate and need help. I have an extremely hard time going to the bathroom - yes, there it is. I feel like I do everything I can as far as eating habits: I eat fruits & veggies, nuts, whole grains. I drink water, (except for coffee in the morning), this is my drink of choice and at work I keep a large refillable bottle with me. My workplace has a cooler of spring water so I can refill and drink all day. I have tried fiber supplements and can't tell much difference at all. I walk and I work out at a fitness center about 3 days a week. Medically I am extremely healthy. A few years ago I did have a colonoscopy and the doctor told me I had a "redundant colon", which apparently means extra l-o-n-g! I am not even 5 feet tall, and I have an extra long colon?! Anyway, that is what I assume the problem is. It seems to get worse though and I am so tired of dealing with this. I don't want to take laxatives but am almost ready to give in. Oh yes, I have used organic Smooth Move tea at times and it does help, but I think that is actually a stimulate laxative so don't want to overdo that either. So, I was just wondering if anyone knows of some good reliable natural remedy that would work? I'm not even talking about having to go everyday, heck I'd settle for .... well every few days would be nice. Sorry to hit you with this topic, but thought there just might be someone out there with an idea that would actually work for me. Thanks for listening to this not so pleasant subject!:|(

fidgiegirl
6-21-11, 10:10am
I know you didn't say you have IBS, but your situation reminded me of something I read about it. Bear in mind I haven't had your issue (the opposite, actually), but it is an idea to try out. In Eating for IBS the author advocates always having a diet of chiefly soluble fiber (rice, potatoes, bananas, etc. - a list at one of the below links) . She talks a lot about the difference between soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber kind of forms and shapes itself into a soft mass that works through the colon, versus insoluble fiber like husks or veggie fiber that doesn't change shape. I'm sure I'm not explaining it as well as she does, but I will keep trying . . . so the basic concept is that if you have IBS and either are having diarrhea symptoms OR constipation symptoms you can be helped by the soluble fiber technique because you will always have something moving through, meaning your gut never has to stop working and then start up again, which is a source of pain for many people with IBS. Plus You always have something moving through because you are careful to never have a completely empty stomach. You eat smaller meals and snack throughout the day, always on soluble fiber. Plus because it is soluble fiber it is flexible and doesn't harden and become compacted. That's the idea, anyway.

I hope I haven't put you off by using the IBS term. You said you haven't been diagnosed with that, but a lot of people with IBS have the constipation variety, so I thought maybe this idea might help you. After all, it seems like you've tried everything else . . . :( So sorry to hear you are suffering. Hopefully you will find the answer soon.

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/
http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp

redfox
6-21-11, 11:40am
I'd recommend you see a Naturopath.

libby
6-21-11, 11:46am
Have you tried ground flaxseed? I take about 1/4c a day and it works wonders for me.

Cypress
6-21-11, 3:59pm
I am uncertain of your age or if this is a new condition? Not to play doctor but if you feel constipated all the time, that's not normal. There is so much unknown here. The simplest remedy for relief is taking a tablespoon of good quality olive oil on an empty stomach just before bedtime. Olive oil quality is important. California growers are marketing a reasonably priced brand at the supermarket. Use this. Avoid any oils on which the label says bottled in Spain, Tunisia or Turkey.

I routinely have colon hydrotherapy twice a year for a cleanse and rebalancing. The hydrotherapist can tell alot about your digestion by what comes out and how. Do you eat a good quality yogurt everyday? Add a tablespoon of Chia seeds daily. Another mild therapy for the colon is a daily dose of Aloe vera juice. You cannot do these things once in a while, it's a daily regime for internal fitness. Do you practice relaxation? One of the best regulators for me is Qi Gong meditation for balancing the internal organs. There is a sound meditation that is very helpful.

KayLR
6-21-11, 4:19pm
[QUOTE=Cypress;29839] Avoid any oils on which the label says bottled in Spain, Tunisia or Turkey.

QUOTE]

Cypress, not arguing...just curious why this is.

Tenngal
6-21-11, 6:24pm
when I hit about 50 yrs old, I really started having trouble. I now take 500 mg magnesium (in the herbal section) on alternating days before dinner followed by lots of liquids. If you had rather go the fiber route, try Fiber One cereal. I used to take it to work in a baggie and eat it as a snack. The cereal along with a metamucal type supplement also works. I think I get enough water, just not enough roughage from unprocessed fruit and veggies.

poetry_writer
6-21-11, 6:41pm
an old time favorite, glycerin suppositories, works well for me after a hysterectomy that left things "moving slowly" .

herisf
6-21-11, 6:53pm
have you tried plums/prunes? There's a reason it's an old remedy - it does work. Warm or "stewed" prunes work even better for most people. If you don't like the taste of prunes, go for the undried version, plums. Good luck.

Sad Eyed Lady
6-21-11, 7:55pm
Thanks to all of you who have shared your ideas. Some I have tried, some I haven't. Herisf I have tried plums/prunes but not stewed. Fiber one as a snack would be something I could easily do I think, Tenngal. Cypress, I can see that the olive oil taken on an empty stomach might work, however I will have to overcome having that oily taste in my mouth I think. Is there anything you can use with it to mask the taste or oily feel? By the way Cypress, I am 59 years old and this is not a new condition, but does seem to be getting worse. Libby do you sprinkle the ground flax seed on food, mix in something to drink, or just how do you take it? Fidgiegirl, I have always suspected that I have IBS but have never been diagnosed with it. I will do a search on good sources of soluble fiber. Maybe all of this together give me new ideas to try and hopefully find a tolerable solution. Thank you once more for reading my embarrassing and personal odyssey, and for the various pieces of advice.

libby
6-21-11, 8:29pm
I mix the flaxseed in my hot cereal. My son puts it in yogurt. I must warn you that you need to start slowly with the flaxseed and work your way up to an amount that works for you. I would start with a tablespoon. If you take too much too soon it will upset your stomach.

danna
6-21-11, 8:54pm
Shalom-Poet you should not be embrasssed at all it has been a problem for many of us. Like someone else asked is this a recent problem as in the last few years? Have you been tested for under active thyroid? Consitpation is a common symtom. Being diagnosed helped me a lot but still left me with the problem. I have had a lot of sucess taking a probiotic.
Also, an older female doctor explained that most women to not sit to go to the washroom long enough (not meaning to sit for an hour but long enough to let things work naturally), I have an issue with this myself, like if I can't go almost immediately am up, no patience here...lol.

jania
6-21-11, 9:03pm
You could try some lower abdominal massage, very simply working in a clock-wise direction and making sure you only go as deeply as is comfortable. Another suggestion is to drink a cup of warm water in the morning before you even try to evacuate your bowels. Both suggestions come from the Ayurvedic tradition and shouldn't cause any harm. It's really important for our total digestive system to work properly and I think it is good that you are trying to help improve your health.

SoSimple
6-21-11, 9:07pm
DH struggles with this too. He has prune juice twice a day; ground flaxseed is good for him also. You could also try Miralax - he's found it to be very effective and he's been able to quit the stimulant laxatives almost entirely (now once every 2-3 months instead of once a week). Also try triphala - he found it to be quite helpful also.

I like my flaxseed in a freshly made smoothie - a cup of frozen raspberries, 1 tbsp ground flaxseed, 1 to 2 cups plain soymilk. Good for summer. In winter, try it with oatmeal - just add and stir it in.

pony mom
6-21-11, 9:47pm
On an Oprah show with Dr. Oz and Suze Orman, he was talking about this very condition. He suggested magnesium and Suze Orman praised it to high heaven. Apparently it works well for her.

Many years ago I was taking calcium and magnesium for PMS symptoms (I think) and it gave me the opposite of your problem---the magnesium was too high for me.

Mighty Frugal
6-21-11, 10:04pm
Hey, I too was told during my colonoscopy that I have a really looonnngg colon-he said it keeps going and going! Did you find when you were doing the prep for the oscopy that it took longer for you to begin to 'go' then what it indicated on the directions-like mine said after my first dose I should begin pooping within the hour but it took me over two hours to start. Here's what works for me

Metamucil. It's just psyllium fibre so no worries on a 'chemical' laxative. Here's the secret, you need to take it for DAYS before you see results. Don't just use it for a day or two and say 'oh forget it..all it did was make me f art' NO! Keep going. Take it twice or thrice a day (I have been waiting FOREVER to use the word 'thrice' so thanks for that!)

So....in closing this is what you should try. Go to store, buy Metamucil, read the label, follow the instructions as to dosage amount and frequency, use it for at least 5 days before coming back here and complaining it didn't work. And once you get moving, use it once daily. Happy Happy Light Light...

Sad Eyed Lady
6-21-11, 10:08pm
Shalom-Poet you should not be embrasssed at all it has been a problem for many of us. Like someone else asked is this a recent problem as in the last few years? Have you been tested for under active thyroid? Consitpation is a common symtom. Being diagnosed helped me a lot but still left me with the problem. I have had a lot of sucess taking a probiotic.
Also, an older female doctor explained that most women to not sit to go to the washroom long enough (not meaning to sit for an hour but long enough to let things work naturally), I have an issue with this myself, like if I can't go almost immediately am up, no patience here...lol.
No, danna it is not a new problem but does seem to be getting worse. I have not been diagnosed with under active thyroid, but was tested once several years ago. You're right about being impatient - me too, and I try to remind myself not to be.

Sad Eyed Lady
6-21-11, 10:13pm
Hey, I too was told during my colonoscopy that I have a really looonnngg colon-he said it keeps going and going! Did you find when you were doing the prep for the oscopy that it took longer for you to begin to 'go' then what it indicated on the directions-like mine said after my first dose I should begin pooping within the hour but it took me over two hours to start. Here's what works for me

Metamucil. It's just psyllium fibre so no worries on a 'chemical' laxative. Here's the secret, you need to take it for DAYS before you see results. Don't just use it for a day or two and say 'oh forget it..all it did was make me f art' NO! Keep going. Take it twice or thrice a day (I have been waiting FOREVER to use the word 'thrice' so thanks for that!)

So....in closing this is what you should try. Go to store, buy Metamucil, read the label, follow the instructions as to dosage amount and frequency, use it for at least 5 days before coming back here and complaining it didn't work. And once you get moving, use it once daily. Happy Happy Light Light...
I really don't remember if it took longer for me to go after the prep for the colonoscopy or not, but I do remember when the nurse gave me the instructions saying very cheerfully "You'll be up all night going to the bathroom" - but I wasn't.

I have had a bowl of Fiber One cereal tonight, and making sure I am drinking lots of water, even more than usual. I will start implementing the other recommendations here too if just the cereal alone doesn't do it. I had forgotten about Metamucil, it seems I hear a lot about Miralax. Are they much the same?

Mighty Frugal
6-21-11, 10:18pm
No they're not. We had to give my young son Miralax due to his constipation. Miralax is some vitamin in a heavy duty dose-I forget which. But it too is non-habit forming and completely safe. It takes a while to get you moving too so don't give up. If you go the fibre route thae Metamucil-the psyllium fibre is great and it's better than fibre cereals.....just keep it up-I promise, you'll become regular. I've had issues all my life too. And am on iron supps now so if I don't take my metamucil you can forget it-factory closed

Mrs-M
6-21-11, 10:25pm
One more suggestion to put forth, getting into a routine of doing a brisk early morning walk each day. I know in speaking for myself, exercise triggers and heightens my bodies natural mechanisms allowing it to function better and more efficiently. (Digestive, everything).

Kestra
6-22-11, 7:05am
I was thinking more about this and was wondering, is your body not giving you the right signals? Or are you trying and not able? If you're not getting signals, perhaps picking a good time of the day and at least trying (ie. sitting there, relaxed) at the same time every day, regardless of what happens might be useful. So your body gets to know that that's the time. Even if you're nowhere near going every day the body does work on a daily cycle so I'd try every single day. Probably after a meal would be best. I usually don't have your problem, but sometimes I'm busy or eat funny or whatever and then don't get the body signals and then the next day or two realize it's been longer than normal and have to actively try a bit before the problem gets worse. If I just waited for my body to decide it's time, it might get pretty bad.

Also, oatmeal, if you aren't already - the large flake kind. Not that mushy instant stuff. I eat oatmeal almost every day for breakfast. I eat tons of fruits/veggies, etc, lots of water, and it's only oatmeal that seems to make the difference. I eat it with applesauce too - don't know if that makes a difference.

And exercise/stretching. At yoga class they said the stretch where you lie on your back and pull your knee to your shoulders - one at a time and then together, is good for bowel function. Not sure myself, but wouldn't hurt.

Mrs-M
6-22-11, 7:55am
One more thing Shalom, make a point of sitting down on the toilet for a few minutes every morning (first thing), even if you don't feel you have to go. Don't strain or push, just sit and allow your system to adjust to the routine. It helps coax, trigger, and stimulate.

Cypress
6-22-11, 8:26am
The Olive Oil market import to the USA is not regulated. The oil is not always pure olive. Italy growers do regulate the market on olive oil and will fill the bottle with pure product. If it leaves Italy and is bottled in another country, you have no idea what is in the oil. The California grown olive oil will be pure product in the bottle. If you taste olive oil that is bottled in any other country, it will taste off 90% of the time because it is not pure product. You have no idea what you are ingesting and could make matters worse for your body.

Cypress, not arguing...just curious why this is.[/QUOTE]

Glo
6-22-11, 9:59am
Don't really have any advice but my DIL has the same problem; she only goes to the bathroom once a week! She's had every medical test known to man and they can't find a problem.

susanne c.
6-23-11, 7:12pm
I rarely post on the new forums, but this struck a nerve. I have always had trouble with constipation, going once a week if I was lucky. My earliest memories are of my mom dosing me with Fletcher's Castoria! Probably a deep seated psychological conflict at the root of this, but a few years ago I developed severely painful anal fissures from the chronic constipation. I was told to take miralax ever day, and while I needed pain killers for about 8 months, I was able to go easily every single day and have not had a recurrence. I was worried about being dependent on the miralax, but the gi doctor callously said I was so screwed up I would have to depend on something. I can still get a fissure flare if I get diarrhea, but it is mild and passes quickly.
Give miralax a try, you'll never look back. You may need to play with the dose, anywhere from half to one and a half capfuls each day. It is tasteless and has no texture once dissolved. I take it with iced tea or diet fruit soda, it does fizz so don't fill the glass.
I know many people swear by metamucil, and I tried it for years, but it actually made things worse. Like trying to get a .45 bullet through a .22 pistol.

Sad Eyed Lady
6-23-11, 8:58pm
Everyone's advise has been great - I have been using more fiber (like Fiber One cereal for snacks), making sure I am getting LOTS of water, sitting on the toilet Mrs-M, taking a walk, and others suggestions here. I have not tried the olive oil yet, and the Miralax advise keeps cropping up. Thanks susanne C. for your encouragement with that. Things have even been a bit better, do I dare say already?!:confused:

Mrs-M
6-24-11, 12:38am
Originally posted by Susanne c.
I know many people swear by metamucil, and I tried it for years, but it actually made things worse. Like trying to get a .45 bullet through a .22 pistol.ROTFLMAO!!!

Mrs-M
6-24-11, 12:44am
Here's hoping things get better for you Shalom.
http://th600.photobucket.com/albums/tt84/SVT-GT500/smileys/th_smiley-bathroom-toilet.gif

Sad Eyed Lady
6-24-11, 9:25am
Here's hoping things get better for you Shalom.
http://th600.photobucket.com/albums/tt84/SVT-GT500/smileys/th_smiley-bathroom-toilet.gif
How cute! That's me in the second stall.

Anne Lee
6-26-11, 6:16pm
Err... isn't the second stall supposed to be Larry Craig?

Tammy
6-26-11, 6:20pm
One more suggestion to put forth, getting into a routine of doing a brisk early morning walk each day. I know in speaking for myself, exercise triggers and heightens my bodies natural mechanisms allowing it to function better and more efficiently. (Digestive, everything).

they didn't use to call a daily walk your "daily constitutional" for nothing. ;)

Sad Eyed Lady
6-26-11, 6:43pm

Who is Larry Craig? I realize that could be an ignorant question, but I don't know!

Mrs-M
6-27-11, 8:16pm
Originally Posted by Mrs-M.
Here's hoping things get better for you Shalom. http://th600.photobucket.com/albums/tt84/SVT-GT500/smileys/th_smiley-bathroom-toilet.gif

How cute! That's me in the second stall.I was hoping it was you in the first stall! In and out like!!! :laff:

Mrs-M
6-27-11, 8:18pm
Originally posted by Mrs-M.

Originally posted by Tammy.
they didn't use to call a daily walk your "daily constitutional" for nothing.I totally forgot about that! :)

Gardenarian
6-28-11, 7:05pm
Hi Shalom - I have had the same problem forever. My doctor said I have something called "mega-colon" (yuck) which I think is similar to what you have. I have become almost completely regular (except for when I travel) by doing the following:

Take three tablespoons of psyllium seed husks in a glass of cold water every day (followed by lots of water. You can break this up into as many doses as you want.)
Take 250 mg. of magnesium every day. (This is only 60% of your daily requirement, but it makes a big difference.)
Eat a salad made with at least 1/3 of a head of lettuce and plenty of olive oil every day.
Walk for an hour every day.
Get enough sleep, whatever that is for you. Rising too early is a sure way to clog your system!

This has all become second nature to me, though it probably seems like a lot of work at first.

Selah
7-1-11, 12:11pm
Cascara sagrada works well, and you can get it at any Wal-Mart, Walgreens, etc., in the herbal department. I also used to create a juice that was a mixture of apple, celery and aloe vera juice, which helped a bit. Colonic irrigation works wonders, too, especially if you are really packed up! :)

Sad Eyed Lady
7-1-11, 10:16pm
Thanks to everyone once more for all your suggestions, and I am considering and implementing some of them along the way. Today I was so discouraged that I felt like maybe I need to see a doctor, but before resorting to medical care I am going to keep trying these suggestions and hopefully hit upon what works for me - if any. :(

Mrs-M
7-1-11, 11:15pm
Shalom. Be patient and give it some time. Resetting, adjusting, and recalibrating our bodies natural internal clock and regulating it's schedule will take a little work and time. You can do it, just don't expect change overnight. Will be thinking of you.

loosechickens
7-2-11, 2:00am
Originally Posted by Anne Lee
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who is Larry Craig? I realize that could be an ignorant question, but I don't know! (Shalom_Poet)
------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry Craig is former Republican Senator Larry Craig, who was caught in an airport men's restroom soliciting homosexual sex, in a police sting operation a few years ago.

Sad Eyed Lady
7-2-11, 10:22am
Originally Posted by Anne Lee
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who is Larry Craig? I realize that could be an ignorant question, but I don't know! (Shalom_Poet)
------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry Craig is former Republican Senator Larry Craig, who was caught in an airport men's restroom soliciting homosexual sex, in a police sting operation a few years ago.

Oh yeah - now I remember! I thought the name sounded familiar. LOL!

Sissy
7-3-11, 12:18pm
ok, this is to do if you are miserable and need quick relief. Try a warm coffee enema. you need to get the bucket and hose from a good pharmacy. regular coffee, kinda weak , about a quart.

block out a good amount of time, put on relaxing music. post an "off limits" sign on the bath door. Even better if you are alone in the house. lie on your left side and slowly allow small amounts to flow, hold as long as you can and then get to the potty and release. Then keep on until all the coffee is gone.

this is definately not like a full colonic? treatment, but it should give relief. do this a couple of times a week.

NOTE: If you feel pain or cramping, stop.

Florence
7-3-11, 3:15pm
Miralax in warm milk at night for 3 nights works when I need it.

AnneM
7-3-11, 8:45pm
My 8 year old son has encopresis, which is really severe constipation that causes stretching of the colon, and caused him to lose all sensation down there, meaning he can't feel when he has to go. He has been taking Miralax daily (about half a capful) for the last year, and it cleared up the encopresis. We have to make sure he takes it everyday however, because if he misses it just one day, it can cause him to not go for about 3 days. Costco sells a generic version, which is what we use.

grendel
7-4-11, 5:34pm
When I quit smoking 21 years ago, I found that constipation was one of the more unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. I was also gaining a bit of weight, so I tried Slim-Fast powder shakes --all the rage in the late 80s -- to shed a few pounds. I was delighted to find that they kept me quite regular for the six months it took for my body to get back to normal. I had tried a bunch of various things, but nothing worked as well for me as Slim-Fast. Not sure why the fiber in Slim-Fast was better than all the other types of fiber I tried, but it worked.

Mrs-M
7-7-11, 6:13pm
Grendel. So happy to hear you quit. :) I quit a few years ago and by far, quitting smoking was the hardest- most stressful thing I have ever done. Multiple tries and failures before success was reached.

grendel
7-10-11, 1:02am
Grendel. So happy to hear you quit. :) I quit a few years ago and by far, quitting smoking was the hardest- most stressful thing I have ever done. Multiple tries and failures before success was reached.

Congratulations to you, Mrs M, for sticking it out. It's difficult to quit, but so worth it.

Mrs-M
7-10-11, 5:37pm
Grendel. Thank you! :) You know, there were actually times I thought I would never quit, could never quit, wouldn't ever be able to quit. That was a scary feeling for me, having something in control of me (completely and totally). For the longest time after, whenever I'd see someone smoking, it would drive me insane, now when I see someone smoking I don't think much of it other than, "I can't believe I used to do that". I feel so much better today for quitting, both psychologically and physically.

HKPassey
7-10-11, 10:53pm
You might try magnesium supplements. Most of us are a bit low anyway. My doctor says it's okay to take it to "bowel tolerance," and it helps regulate a lot of things, especially pain and stiffness issues, sleep, and nerve issues, which may be part of your problem there.

Sad Eyed Lady
7-11-11, 8:19pm
You might try magnesium supplements. Most of us are a bit low anyway. My doctor says it's okay to take it to "bowel tolerance," and it helps regulate a lot of things, especially pain and stiffness issues, sleep, and nerve issues, which may be part of your problem there.
HKPassey, I am trying the magnesium. Everything I have been trying seems to be working a bit - not like normal, but a bit. I do have a redundant colon and after doing a lot of reading about that I am mostly convienced that is my problem. I am taking about 750 units or mg of magnesium daily, how much did your doctor recommend for "bowel tolerance"?

Sad Eyed Lady
7-17-11, 2:21pm
Update - in case anyone is interested: What finally worked for me? I downed a bottle of the horrible, nasty tasting, magnesium citrate! Terrible, but it worked. Now for maintenance, I will continue with the magnesium supplements and adding some Miralax to my coffee.

Mrs-M
7-17-11, 11:58pm
So happy for you I am Shalom! With any luck, your new system will be just what the doctor ordered! :)

Sad Eyed Lady
9-11-11, 4:35pm
This is an UPDATE, (in case anyone is remotely interested): after much trial and error, following some good advise I got here and other places, I think I have FINALLY hit upon what works for me and this horribly redundant colon. I am grinding flax seed and adding it to yogurt, or blending it in whatever I am making, and doing daily self colon massage. If anyone else has this problem I would certainly recommend looking into colon massage and also whatever works for you fiber-wise.

Mrs-M
9-11-11, 11:45pm
So happy to see your update Shalom! I take a well-rounded teaspoon of flax seed every day. Dry, and I chew it up. Anyhow, so glad to know your situation has improved.

Rogar
9-12-11, 9:15am
Something I deal with occationally. The recommended daily fiber intake is something like 30 grams. I think a person really has to make an effort to plan their meals or supplements to get that much fiber a day. It's a lot.

canadianrose
9-26-11, 12:32pm
Just a thought, I haven't read the thread all the way through, but have you ever been tested for celiac disease? It's sometimes misdiagnosed as IBS.

Sad Eyed Lady
9-26-11, 6:09pm
Just a thought, I haven't read the thread all the way through, but have you ever been tested for celiac disease? It's sometimes misdiagnosed as IBS.

No I haven't been tested for anything, just found out through a routine colonoscopy a few years ago that I have a redundant colon. I have always felt I had IBS because of the symptoms, but it had gotten so much worse in the past few months to a year. I was really at my wits end when I posted here, and am SO thankful to find what has been working for me.