PDA

View Full Version : Getting a U.S. Passport........pay for expedited?

CathyA
6-21-11, 9:56pm
DH and I didn't get our act together soon enough and are just now applying for Passports. DD is going to Italy in 2 and 1/2 weeks and she'll be there for 5 weeks. (she already has her passport). We are getting them, "just in case" we need to go there, if there is a problem.
I didn't realize it would take so long to get the passports. They are saying 4-6 weeks. Passports will cost around $135 plus overnight delivery each. To get them in 2-3 weeks, it will cost another $60 per person.
That's alot of extra money. I'm trying to be positive that nothing bad will happen to DD in Italy......but if it does, we'll be up s**t creek without a paddle if we don't have our passports. But I'm thinking, the passport people would hurry up the process alot, if we had an emergency. We might have to wait a couple days though.
Any suggestions? Should I just hope for the best, and save the money?? I usually think in the "worst case senario" mode, but I'm trying to get away from that. But.....I do want to be prepared.
Thanks.

Bronxboy
6-21-11, 10:18pm
If you expect to use them to actually travel at some point, you might file anyway using standard methods. At least they'd be in the works and perhaps could be expedited through a Congressmember's office in the event of an emergency.

A passport can be obtained in several large cities in 24 to 48 hours in the event of a documented life or death emergency.

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html

http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_913.html

CathyA
6-22-11, 7:52am
Thanks Bronxboy.

pinkytoe
6-22-11, 8:25am
DH had to go to Italy for work recently and did not have a passport. His work only gave him three weeks notice so he did the expedited. It arrived in about 9-10 days so the extra cost was worth not worrying about getting it in time. Seems like if there is a family emergency, there would be quick issuance, right? Perhaps just one of you could get the expedited if it makes you feel better.

porcelain
6-22-11, 8:34am
Passports are coming really fast right now, I would NOT pay for expedited shipping! This advice came directly from a passport agent and ended up being true, I got my renewal extremely fast and the person I was with who filed for a first-time passport got his just as fast.

herbgeek
6-22-11, 8:59am
I got my renewal last year in about 2 weeks- but I remember the original passport took a bit longer (3-4 weeks).

CathyA
6-22-11, 12:06pm
Thanks everyone,

Actually, I applied at the P.O. this morning, and I went ahead and got the expedited. DD leaves in less than 2 weeks,and I just felt too uncomfortable thinking it could take 4-6 weeks. Maybe I'll have DH not do the expedited. That way, at least one of us could go there quickly.
Maybe I should have let DH do the expedited, since I had a previous passport, whereas DH didn't. Oh well. I do feel lots better, knowing I'll have it in hand before or shortly right after DD leaves.
I was verbalizing with the woman at the P.O. about how this is probably neurotic of me. But she said it was just good sense. She had had a woman recently whose daughter was in Ireland and got very sick, and she didn't have a passport, and it took quite awhile for her to be able to get there. So I'm feeling better about us getting these passports.

jennipurrr
7-13-11, 9:58am
I didn't see this thread until now, but I wanted to throw out that if you needed the passport immediately you could go to one of the regional offices and get it in person. You do have to pay the extra $60 to do that and for most people it is a drive since the offices are only in some major cities. I know someone who had to do it and where I live it is 3 hours to Atlanta and 4 hours to New Orleans, but the New Orleans office apparently is much less busy so it was worth it to go there.

Hope you got your passports and more importantly hope DD has a safe and fabulous trip to Italy!

kfander
7-13-11, 10:25am
I can't remember the exact time frame but ours came much quicker than the time stated.