PDA

View Full Version : New usernames and their significance.

Mrs-M
1-6-11, 11:12am
I love usernames. (The variety and mixture interests me). Anyhow, seems a good number of former SL members chose to carry on using their old names (great for people like me, thanks for that), but for those of you who made changes to your usernames, what made you change-up your name? How did you come up with your new one?

shadowmoss
1-6-11, 12:06pm
The old forums were the next-to-last place I actually used my real name, the other being my own homesteading forum. I just changed to be consistent with my on-line identity.

Bastelmutti
1-6-11, 12:19pm
I changed mine toward the end of the old forum & the reason was that my user name was almost randomly chosen due to something on my desk, so I changed it to something that reflects me better (am a mother, like crafting & speak German).

pcooley
1-6-11, 12:24pm
I've condensed mine back to my first initial and last name. I don't know why I used both my first and last name on the old forum. I tried to think of some clever name, but the old standby's I usually use seemed worn out, and I couldn't think of anything new.

Spartana
1-6-11, 1:16pm
I changed my name from "She-Rah" - an old nickname - to Spartana because my friends and family seem to think I live like a Spartan Warrior. In that I prefer small, sparely furnished digs, minimal stuff, a somewhat stoic kind of life of self-imposted deprivement (although that kind of life makes me feel very happy so i don't consider it either stoic or deprivation to live without an Ipod ;-)!), lots of torturous physical challenges (again - it makes me happy), and I'm sort of militant about my very very basic lifestyle.

Editted to add: I just PMed KIB asking to change my name as I don't like "Spartana" - can't get the image of Kirk Douglas et al shouting out "I am Spartacus". "No, I am Spartacus" out of my head. So going to "Lazy Lindi" from now on (hopefully) as it fits me better.

Anne Lee
1-6-11, 2:00pm
Anne Lee more or less represents a lot of who I am: the "real" me, my past, my simple journey, important people in my life.

Anne is my first name. Lee is not my name but I've known and loved a Lee or two. Ann Lee (note: Ann w/o the e) was a founder of the Shakers who are known for their simplicity, devotion to God and BA furniture, all of which I admire. Their unfortunate commitment to celibacy more or less scotched that particular sect and makes me think they were terribly short sighted but I hold them in regard all the same.

As to the past, I was raised literally down the road from where the Shakers settled and close to where Mother Ann is buried, although, when I was a kid I only knew Ann Lee as the name of the local nursing home and a skating pond.

I'm still getting used to the name. All in all, it's a good fit for me now till I decide to change.

WorldFoodie
1-6-11, 2:36pm
SL is my longest standing online commitment/community (since '98), so here I was still andi but everywhere else "WorldFoodie". I chose "World" for my love of travel and I've litterally been round the world. I could join the Circumnavigators group but its not "me". The word frugal could apply here, but hey, I didn't want a long name.
Also I love food, it's exciting new experiences, and eating in small ethnic eateries, so thus "Foodie".
Cheers,
WorldFoodie

Stella
1-6-11, 4:00pm
Stella is my family nickname. My given name is Stephanie and my younger stister started using Stella as a nickname a million years ago because Stephanie is long and she is lazy. :) I suppose I shouldn't tease her about that since about 90% of the time I shorten her name, McKenzie, to just the letter "K". Anyway, it stuck and I have been Stella and Stephanie pretty much interchangeably since childhood. Since Stella is less common and therefor not as frequently taken on internet forums, I use Stella.

Miss Cellane
1-6-11, 4:59pm
I was camllan on the old forum and I just wanted a change. Miss Celane is sort of "miscellany" made into what looks like a name, if you treat the final "e" as a long "e." Because my brain is full of tons of useless miscellaneous information.

iris lily
1-6-11, 5:53pm
I want a new name. wanhhhhhh! But I didn't want to commit to anything I didn't really like, I ran out of time, and Flowerqueen thought of my name and took it before I did. It's
all her fault!

kib
1-6-11, 6:01pm
That IS very sad, Iris Lily. But if you come up with something, just say the word(s) and it will be done. :~)

LOL!!! I tried the Google translator just out of curiosity - queen of the irises in french is riene de l'iris. But translated to Danish, now, it's Dronning Iris. Ahem. :laff:

Anne Lee
1-6-11, 8:43pm
I want a new name. wanhhhhhh! But I didn't want to commit to anything I didn't really like, I ran out of time, and Flowerqueen thought of my name and took it before I did. It's
all her fault!

She Who Must Be Obeyed has a nice ring to it. It's probably too long for a user name, maybe you could shorten it to SheWho.

iris lily
1-6-11, 8:48pm
oh you guys are funny, and I hate to admit how appropriate "Dron_ing.." is but I do like She who...

Mrs. Hermit
1-6-11, 9:14pm
Still married, still a hermit--still Mrs. Hermit.

Alan
1-6-11, 9:23pm
With the exception of the old SL site, I've always been Alan in all my internet endeavors. It wasn't available there so I had to use something else.

I'm so happy to be able to start fresh. It's good to be me. :+1:

Mrs-M
1-6-11, 10:03pm
You guys are great! And lots of laughs too!!! :) Thanks for sharing with me.

Seeing how I opened up this thread I best elaborate to some degree on my own username choice. I was "Mrs-Mizerly" on the old forum and although I really liked it, many members referred to me as "MM" and "Mrs-M", so with a new change and a fresh start I reflected on the old and transformed it into something new. Mrs-M! I love it! Sort of "hip" isn't it.

Funny story to share. (Thinking of you Iris). I had a lot of problems signing up as a member here. It was a "cookie" related issue and no matter what I did to try and find the problem and correct it, every time I attempted to login using my username and password, the site kicked me out. I tried over and over and over again to no avail.

I was so upset. All that was racing through my head was- "I won't ever get to talk with all my old friends ever again", and, "someone is going to steal my username"!!! ROTFLMAO! Oh you should have seen me, all worked up into such a lather... :0

Anyhow, a good friend of my husbands (a computer tech) came over (after I called him) and in minutes found the problem, corrected the block, and had me logged in. If only you could have seen my face. How ecstatic I was! >8)

winterberry
1-6-11, 11:29pm
Well, I used to be onedrop and now I'm winterberry. I just wanted to see what's in a name -- whether it would change the way I relate to people here. "onedrop" had lost some of its meaning for me, and I wanted something from the natural world. I'm having a hard time getting used to my new name, though, so maybe it wasn't such a good choice.

Mrs-M
1-6-11, 11:40pm
I really like your new name Winterberry. :) In fact when I first seen it I was a little jealous that I couldn't come up with something more along those lines.

Blackdog Lin
1-7-11, 5:47am
I thought long and hard for days on changing my username. My old one (hens4th) just seemed old and tired to me, and of course I am not at all the same person I was when joining the old forum (in 2003, I think). I wanted something reflective of who I am now, something fresh, something referring to me and my life. I hoped to think of a beautiful and evocative username.

But alas, I'm not witty or good with words. And I ran out of thinking time, wanting to get up and running on the new forum. So, realizing that DH and I have turned into those ridiculous middle-aged people (whom we used to laugh at!) who adore love and absolutely dote on THE DOG in the household (her breed even specifies the black color as the standard), well, Blackdog Lin was born.

And it evokes to me a "toughness", kinda. (channeling Cougar Annie, I think. I LOVED those stories.)

Anne Lee
1-7-11, 9:18am
You guys are great! And lots of laughs too!!! :) Thanks for sharing with me.

Seeing how I opened up this thread I best elaborate to some degree on my own username choice. I was "Mrs-Mizerly" on the old forum and although I really liked it, many members referred to me as "MM" and "Mrs-M", so with a new change and a fresh start I reflected on the old and transformed it into something new. Mrs-M! I love it! Sort of "hip" isn't it.

Hip indeed! And it suits you better than Mrs. Mizerly as you never struck me as a miserly sort of person.

These stories are great.

libby
1-7-11, 9:29am
I was seagull. I grew up on the coast and miss the ocean so much. I have lived on the prairies for several years now and decided to take a cue from kib. I used the initial of my first name and the town I`m in with the twist of adding a y. Does that make sense.....

pinkytoe
1-7-11, 9:35am
I was Orngkat (Orange Cat) and am now Pinkytoe. Pinkytoe was a long ago orange cat I had so the name is one and the same. Just thought it was a good time to try something new and it seemed like people never could spell orngkat anyway.

winterberry
1-7-11, 1:42pm
Thanks, Mrs-M. I like my new name better already.

I don't think of you as miserly, either. Actually, I think of you as being a motherly type. Is that OK?

Mrs-M
1-7-11, 7:13pm
Oh I love this thread and all the stories! :) Thanks everyone for all the great contributions.

Boy, it sure is going to take me a real long time to remember all the new names here. In fact I may never fully learn/remember all of them, but I'm sure going to try extra hard.

Originally posted by Anne Lee.
Hip indeed! And it suits you better than Mrs. Mizerly as you never struck me as a miserly sort of person. Thanks Anne! When I think about it, now, the "Mizerly" addition aged me somewhat. "Mrs-M" makes me feel young again. :laff:

Originally posted by Winterberry.
I don't think of you as miserly, either. Actually, I think of you as being a motherly type. Is that OK? That's perfectly OK! :)

Reyes
1-7-11, 7:36pm
One of my favorite places is Pt. Reyes, California so I took the Reyes for my name here at SLN. Prior to Reyes I was Jean in Eugene (middle name Jean and Eugene is where I live), before that I was Jean in California (again, middle name Jean and I lived in California).

Mrs-M
1-8-11, 5:36pm
Wonderful story Reyes! :) So unique too.

IshbelRobertson
1-8-11, 7:04pm
I'm wondering if I should change my (recognisable) name to a simpler, less identifiable one!

Gina
1-8-11, 7:52pm
My name is from a childhood nickname. I decided to use it in part because it's short to type. :~)

Mrs-M
1-8-11, 7:55pm
Ishbel. I think you should leave your name just the same. :)

Gina. I like my new name too! The "short to type" thing and all. MML! (Make me laugh).

Kathy WI
1-8-11, 8:25pm
I started out on these boards a long time ago as just plain "Kathy". Then when Billy Barebutt showed up and was starting half a zillion posts daily about nudism or "clothes-free lifestyle", he was also making up fake identities, and creating topics like "I'm interested in a clothes-free lifestyle as part of simple living. Where can I get more information?" signed with some female name usually. Then he would be oh so helpful and answer this fake person as Billy Barebutt and direct them to his favorite nudism website. One of the fake names he used was "Kathy", and I didn't want anyone to think that was me, so I changed my name to Kathy WI (because I'm in Wisconsin) and kept it that way.

Mrs-M
1-8-11, 9:23pm
That is priceless Kathy WI! :laff: I'll remember this one forever!

Gina
1-8-11, 9:27pm
So, Kathy, were you able to find good information on a clothes-free lifestyle?
Living in WI, 'optional attire' must be kinda cold in the winter. http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=153&d=1294385737

Keep your head covered. ;)

Kestrel
1-8-11, 10:05pm
Was Labyrs YEARS AGO, then Ariadne ... both having to do with labyrinths. Which are a sort of fascination with us, and we have one in our back yard. So, who to be on the new forums ... hmmmmm ... I also like the concept of Serendipity, so I said what the heck and that's who I am now. But I'm not feeling exactly at home with it, so I may request a change. When I get around to it. I hardly post at all anymore, so I'll likely remain a "Junior Member" here for a very long time.

Yeah, I remember Billy Barebutt ... interesting times ... :-D

Hey, the Seahawks beat the Saints today!!! Whodathunkit?

Nella
1-8-11, 11:57pm
Mine's just a knickname. I used to take care of a lot kids, and the littlest one's had a hard time with "Shannel." So we just shortened it to "Nella." Much more user friendly for the under 4 crowd.

Mrs-M
1-9-11, 6:18am
In addition to Gina's recommendation Re: "keeping your head covered", may I add- "and your bottom too"!!! :laff:

Serendipity. I love your new name!

What a sweet story Nella. :)

RosieTR
1-11-11, 10:52pm
I do still have a sweet tooth but wanted a change. I'm hoping this year is a year of (good) changes for me, but it's going to take some effort on my part and I think Rosie the Riveter is sort of an idol I can be inspired by. That, and near the end of the SL forums somehow the topic came up in which I described myself as looking like her and that inspired me too.

Mrs-M
1-12-11, 6:50am
What a fabulous story RosieTR. Psst... I have a sweet tooth too! In fact the older I get the sweeter my sweet tooth gets!!! :)

Jemima
1-17-11, 11:22pm
I just got plain tired of being Fluffy, so I named myself after an ancestor who was an artist, as am I, although not a famous one. The name reminds me of the more positive aspects of my life, like the nearness of retirement, when I hope to do a lot more painting and other arts and crafts. :D

P.S. Could someone please tell me how to upload an avatar for both my profile and postings? I asked the question a few days ago and now I can't remember where I posted it

loosechickens
1-18-11, 12:09am
Geez.....Billy Barebutt must have been just before my time.......no wonder you guys were kind of jaundiced about hearing of any other nudists here.......

Of course, it goes without saying that most of us are totally ordinary, and not really "characters" as he seems to have been.....but he DOES sound as though there was never a dull moment when he was around.......

Alan
1-18-11, 7:45am
P.S. Could someone please tell me how to upload an avatar for both my profile and postings? I asked the question a few days ago and now I can't remember where I posted it

You asked that question yesterday, and it was answered here: http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?1-Profile-and-Avatar-Pictures&p=4435#post4435

Float On
1-18-11, 8:06am
I mostly lurked at the old site and decided I wanted to become more involved on this one. I'm going through one of the worst times in my life and changes are coming, slowly but coming none the less. Some I'm embracing and some I'm fighting but I need the reminder that my peaceful moments are when I'm by myself on my kayak and I've taken that as my 'theme' for the year to 'Float on through the troubled times'.

Gregg
1-18-11, 9:35am
Sorry to hear about your tough times Float On. Hopefully you find one of those glassy stretches where everything is peaceful for a while.

Jemima
1-18-11, 9:48am
You asked that question yesterday, and it was answered here: http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?1-Profile-and-Avatar-Pictures&p=4435#post4435

Thank you, Alan. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where I'd posted that question.

Mrs-M
1-18-11, 11:16am
I'm loving all these! A warm hug for you Float on. (I hope it's nothing more than a few bumps in the road).

Now all I have to do is work on remembering "who was who" on the old boards! :doh:

Float On
1-18-11, 11:35am
Gregg and Mrs-M, thanks for your kind words.

winterberry
1-18-11, 12:47pm
I mostly lurked at the old site and decided I wanted to become more involved on this one. I'm going through one of the worst times in my life and changes are coming, slowly but coming none the less. Some I'm embracing and some I'm fighting but I need the reminder that my peaceful moments are when I'm by myself on my kayak and I've taken that as my 'theme' for the year to 'Float on through the troubled times'.
Float on, I heard a quote somewhere, maybe on these forums:

"We have to go with the flow. Sometimes we float downstream and sometimes we have to run the rapids."

Peace to you.

Float On
1-18-11, 2:06pm
I hadn't heard that one winterberry - I've written it across the top of my January planner page - Thanks!

Spartana
1-19-11, 12:31pm
Who else isn't here from the old boards? Hmmm... Gary (SimplyGIB) isn't here I don't think. Off playing with the new hot young girlfriend on one of his mega-month long bike trips no doubt :-)!! OK so now I'm the jealous one! Who else is MIA? Lindi (formerly She-Rah)

Mrs-M
1-20-11, 11:00am
Originally posted by Spartana.
Who else isn't here from the old boards?Fern. (Hope she signs up, soon).

Bronxboy
1-20-11, 11:33pm
I considered a change in name with the new forum, but decided against it.

The aftermath of the 60s and 70s Bronx has been back out of dormancy (or is it active repression?) lately, and I just need to live with it for a while.

iris lily
1-20-11, 11:38pm
Who else isn't here from the old boards? ... Who else is MIA?

Kayleigh! *sob*

Mrs-M
1-21-11, 11:42am
Bronxboy. Glad you stuck with the old! :) Much easier on those like me! ;)

Bronxboy
1-24-11, 8:57am
Bronxboy. Glad you stuck with the old! :) Much easier on those like me! ;)
Glad to oblige!

iris lily
1-24-11, 10:09am
Just adding a post to this so that Braonxboy won't think he has killed this thread.

Bronxboy
1-24-11, 8:38pm
Just adding a post to this so that Braonxboy won't think he has killed this thread.
Thanks!:|(

Anne Lee
2-1-11, 10:25am
Well, I've been in my new clothes for a month now and I'm seriously considering going back to Blithe Morning. This is the Blithe Morning figurine from whence I got my name. The more I think about it, the more I realize that the name and the figure speak to me and in a way reflect one part of who I am. http://www.seawaychina.com/productimages/-main/FIG-Blithe-Morning-HN2065.jpg

Also, this picture cracks me up: http://photos.liveauctioneers.com/houses/stephensonsauction/21267/0008_3_lg.jpg

iris lily
2-1-11, 11:43am
BLithe, that's interesting for us to see the actual inspiring figure!

I really wish I knew if the original Gelatinous Endive was still around this site. I'm thinking about changing my name to Gelatinous Endive II or perhaps Gelly Endive. That random name is hugely funny to me and I bow to the midn who dreamt it up.

Jonathan
2-1-11, 1:21pm
I figure privacy is dead, so I use my first name. I do still keep my bedroom windows closed and blinds drawn when I want to reduce the chances of an embarrassing picture, but even that I wonder about considering some of the things I've done on stage:

tried to kill someone with a sofa
"died" with a toilet seat around my neck
quoted Monty Python while wearing vestments ("Help! Help! I'm being repressed!")
etc.

Yes, I am a thespian, and Yes, you must pay to watch. :moon:

The advent of cell phones with cameras in them has eliminated the last shred of public privacy, witness (warning - can be quite gross and not quite work safe): http://after12.failblog.org/

Besides: what I post here under my own name is a reminder to me to keep it civil.

Spartana
2-1-11, 1:36pm
I figure privacy is dead, so I use my first name.

Ah but your name is fairly common so you do have a bit of privacy there (even with that toilet seat hanging around your neck :-)!). I just goggled "Lindi" and found it wasn't as uncommon as I though so could probably go back to using that since most "hits" were for a skin care product, a sexy super model (she has my hair!), a sexy singer (she has my hair too!), and a few small towns thru out the world where bat Guano seems to be the main stay of their economy.

EarthSky
2-1-11, 4:39pm
Anna Lee - I love your Avatar! And want to get one B4 I reply to this thread. Where did you get it (from which photo sharing site) if I may ask?

Anne Lee
2-1-11, 5:08pm
Earth, it's a picture I took of the setting sun on the Cheyenne River in South Dakota.

EarthSky
2-1-11, 5:35pm
Wow, it's beautiful! You have a great eye!

EarthSky
2-1-11, 8:04pm
I love this thread - what a great way to get to know people a bit better!

I chose this name as a reminder to stay grounded on/in the earth, as I am seeking spiritually and re-thinking my work life in a time of significant change. I am continually pining for the mountains, for a simple life with my children (with a horse or two :). I've worked long hours for years for non-profits, mostly in children's mental health. My work ethic and commitment has served the institutions well, but been a barrier to the simpler life. It's time to find a calling in a setting that supports a balanced life.

The avatar is borrowed from Flickr, and is titled 'between earth and sky'.

razz
2-1-11, 9:29pm
Enjoying the background stories of names.

I took 'razz' on the old site when too many variations on or similar to my initial name Danny were confusing even me.

I was going to use raspberry for the favoured berry bushes that we have in our garden and decided that razz would be a nice unique short variation that was not likely to be duplicated

Mrs-M
2-2-11, 8:42am
Enjoying this thread immensely. Such pleasant entries everybody.

Anne Lee. I loved your old name (Blithe Morning II), and I really love the figurine!!! It's beautiful. (It looks like a real oldie, a true collectors piece). If there's even a hint (within you) to go back to the old, then do. Happiness and contentment is what's it's all about. :)

Iris Lily. I love the name "Gelly Endive"! I think it's suits you to a tee! :)

Honesty is great Jonathan.

EarthSky. Love your avatar!!! And the story behind your username.

Razz. You are so lucky to have raspberry bushes. That in itself has been a dream of mine forever.

citrine
2-2-11, 8:46am
Citrine is my birthstone....not too unique!

Mrs-M
2-2-11, 9:10am
Citrine. Not only do I think it's unique, it's beautiful!

Mrs-M
6-3-12, 9:55pm
Bump!

Thought of all the newcomers to our home, and was hoping a bump, would inspire a few more entries! :)

happystuff
6-3-12, 10:18pm
Well, it seems I have not participated in this thread - thanks for bumping it!

I've been *active* on the internet since the 1990's. I participated in some forums here and there, but things always seem to end so negatively or with people being so nasty with each other. At one point, in one particular forum, it got so bad that I decided I would search out more happy stuff on the internet... hence my user name. :-)

Kestrel
6-3-12, 10:42pm
Well, I just read through this thread, and I realize I'd said I wasn't really comfortable with Serendipity, and I'm still not. So I'm going to change to Kestrel, which is my "totem animal". They're beautiful small falcons. The Peregrine Fund/World Center for Birds of Prey is south and east of Boise, and they have two live cameras there, one inside a nestbox, and one with an outside view of the nestbox, so you can check on them any time, including at night, and see how they're doing. I watch them all the time. I also watch several other live webcams, and I'm addicted ... :) (We also support them with $$, so we also go out there often to see what's going on.) We live way to the left - west - of the cams.

Here's a link to the kestrel cams: http://kestrel.peregrinefund.org/index.php?action=webcams

Alan
6-3-12, 10:52pm
Well, I just read through this thread, and I realize I'd said I wasn't really comfortable with Serendipity, and I'm still not. So I'm going to change to Kestrel, which is my "totem animal".
When you're ready to make the change, just let me know and I'll take care of it for you.

Kestrel
6-3-12, 10:57pm
When you're ready to make the change, just let me know and I'll take care of it for you.

Oh ... I sent a message to Kib, which someone else did ... was that wrong? So, one way or t'other, I'd like to change!

Thank you!!

Alan
6-3-12, 11:00pm
Waiting for Kib may take a while. But, in the mean time........Ta Da!!.....you are now Kestrel.

Please adjust your next login accordingly.

domestic goddess
6-3-12, 11:10pm
What an interesting thread. I somehow missed it before.Thanks for bumping it.
I was homenurse on the old boards, which is what I do and what I am: a nurse who takes care of chronically ill and technology dependent children in their homes. But lately, I've been feeling a bit of burnout, so I perversely changed my name to domestic goddess, which is SO not me. But, with what I learn here, I may be getting a bit closer. Time will tell.

Kestrel
6-3-12, 11:40pm
Oh, thank you, Alan! Hugs to you :D ... {Alan}

rosarugosa
6-4-12, 4:58am
Kestrel: I just peeked in on your baby kestrels - amazing! Thanks for the link.

Selah
6-4-12, 5:59am
I was Hogan in the old forums. I took that name because I was living the first home I ever owned, in rural Nevada. It was a very basic doublewide, and it reminded me of a Navajo hogan, or ceremonial structure. I always loved Tony Hillerman mysteries set in Navajo country, and for years my mother begged me to stop roaming the earth and just get my own "hogan" somewhere. That doublewide filled the need! (Ironically, it's now worth 60% less than what I bought it for. We'd love to get rid of it, but cannot.)

I changed to Selah on the new boards because I knew it was going to become my legal Hebrew name when DH and I moved to Israel. I wanted to get used to using it and seeing it printed, so I could see my new name "at work," so to speak.

Mrs-M
6-4-12, 7:43am
Oh, wow! So happy to see all the new and interesting entries!

P.S. Love your new name, Kestrel.

Alan. My new nickname for you... Speedy Gonzalez! Fastest Admin in the East, West, North, and South! :)

herbgeek
6-4-12, 8:28am
I changed from using my real name once I realized this site was being indexed and was available through a google search. I picked Herbgeek because it was a handle I used way back in the mid 90's when "handles" were still common, and people didn't use their real names. I really love all things related to herbs, and know lots of excruciatingly boring details that I can recite when prompted, hence the herb geek. I also am in the software development space as employment, so also have the geek there. I thought it was kinda funny to put two words together that seem to be so far apart, but are both aspects of me.

Mrs-M
6-4-12, 12:39pm
Yep... I had you figured out all along, Herbgeek! :) P.S. Your avatar is a dead-giveaway, too! LOL!

ctg492
6-6-12, 7:09pm
Poor no imagination me. Years ago when I first joined a message board, I think it was a cat board, I knew nothing about usernames. I remember it said use letters and numbers. I have used that comination ever since everywhere, means nothing.

awakenedsoul
6-6-12, 9:30pm
Thanks for bumping this Mrs. M.! I've geen hooting and hollering with laughter. Loved hearing about the Barebutt guy. I guess I missed that. I always loved the old names, too. (Especially she- rah. great rhythm and personality. I like Spartana, too. It's powerful and reminds me of Sparticus.) It's fun to hear the histories of everyone's choices. I was on the old boards, but I can't remember my username. I think it was balletwriter. I had gotten heavily into Russian Vaganova ballet and was writing articles for a magazine on dance. I tried to get back on these forums for over a year. I just couldn't log in. I emailed a few people but still no luck. I finally found out why, thanks to Alan. I was using the name yogastef. I had used that on a gardening forum, not this one. I've been into yoga for 25 years, and Stef is my nickname. Now I use awakenedsoul. I was reading this beautiful English book on fairies and it talked about awakened souls and I loved that expression. For several years I used it as the title of a magazine column I wrote, "The Awakened Soul", until they went out of business...now I use it as a screen name.

Mighty Frugal
6-6-12, 9:42pm
I was homenurse on the old boards, which is what I do and what I am: a nurse who takes care of chronically ill and technology dependent children in their homes. But lately, I've been feeling a bit of burnout, so I perversely changed my name to domestic goddess, which is SO not me. But, with what I learn here, I may be getting a bit closer. Time will tell.

Oh I'm so glad I read this. I have often wondered what happened to 'homenurse' and was bummed she didn't make it over here!

Sissy
6-7-12, 10:22am
Honest to goodness, I fohttps://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/c0.0.340.340/p403x403/209006_419251561438944_353943514_n.jpgund Ms. M. I swear it is her:

Mrs-M
6-7-12, 5:27pm
Lovely, lovely, lovely, everyone! I do love this thread!

P.S. Sissy. OMG... it IS me! LOL! Awww... this made my day! Just so you know, that's my flour-sack white apron I'm running through the wringers, the one I love to wear when I'm baking! And, that picture is before I started having babies! :)

domestic goddess
6-7-12, 6:49pm
Awww, Nighty Frugal,thanks so much. You made my day! I do hope people realize that I picked "domestic goddess" very much tongue-in-cheek as, frankly, many things domestic are mot ny strong points. It has honestly taken me nearly 60 years to realize that if you clean your house on a regular basis, not just when it gets into a "newsworthy" mess (family found living in filth--film at eleven) it is actually easier and faster to do.

suburbansparrow
6-8-12, 2:49am
Hi all - brilliant thread, this, Mrs. M. Some of the reasons for names chosen by people here obviously have personal resonance for them and some reasons for their being are fun to read. My own is simply that I have been an urban, suburban child, young woman, middle aged woman, and now a crone. Sparrows have always fascinated me because they live in an environment hostile to birds, and yet manage to scrape out a living, sometimes even joyful, out of scant possibilities. They forage, seek opportunity and thrive, as I have always tried to do, no matter what material circumstances have been my lot. There is so much grace in those drab little birds!

Tussiemussies
6-8-12, 2:56am
Anne Lee more or less represents a lot of who I am: the "real" me, my past, my simple journey, important people in my life.

Anne is my first name. Lee is not my name but I've known and loved a Lee or two. Ann Lee (note: Ann w/o the e) was a founder of the Shakers who are known for their simplicity, devotion to God and BA furniture, all of which I admire. Their unfortunate commitment to celibacy more or less scotched that particular sect and makes me think they were terribly short sighted but I hold them in regard all the same.

As to the past, I was raised literally down the road from where the Shakers settled and close to where Mother Ann is buried, although, when I was a kid I only knew Ann Lee as the name of the local nursing home and a skating pond.

I'm still getting used to the name. All in all, it's a good fit for me now till I decide to change.

Hi Ann Lee -- funny but I just got off wikipedia reading about the Shakers. Do love them also. Did see there are only four remaining members and they are hoping for more members.

Once I wanted to take a vacation that would lead to all of the shaker sites. Haven't done it yet but maybe someday.

I love the song Tis A Gift to be simple and would love to hear more of their songs and see an re-enactment of their dancing.

: ) Christine

Mrs-M
6-8-12, 7:39am
I'm a bird-lover, too, Suburbansparrow. Each year, around the time spring arrives, I anxiously await the arrival of my feathered friends. They warm our place both inside and out.

Spartana
6-9-12, 1:16pm
(Especially she- rah. great rhythm and personality. I like Spartana, too.

Well we are one and the same (but maybe you already knew that). I was getting a little too long in the tooth to be She-Rah, princess of Power (and sister to He-Man :-)!) any longer (although I still have that hair!!) so changed the name. For some reason I don't understand, She-Rah (like that brat Barbie) never ages yet I do. Hmmm.......

Simpler at Fifty
6-9-12, 3:38pm

I had no idea you were homenurse before. I often wondered how you were doing.

awakenedsoul
6-9-12, 7:40pm
Well we are one and the same (but maybe you already knew that). I was getting a little too long in the tooth to be She-Rah, princess of Power (and sister to He-Man :-)!) any longer (although I still have that hair!!) so changed the name. For some reason I don't understand, She-Rah (like that brat Barbie) never ages yet I do. Hmmm.......

Yes, I knew you were both names. I remember you put "formerly She-Rah" on your posts, which always made me laugh. Something about that name just cracks me up.

Mrs-M
9-4-12, 1:19pm
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10172/bump.gif

Resurrecting this great thread.

ToomuchStuff
9-4-12, 1:30pm
I don't think ToomuchSh.. was allowed, so I went with ToomuchStuff. :laff:

Between all the extra stuff that I don't think I really need, the family heirlooms I have hung on to, the extra work and stress all the stuff has probably caused, I think the first one was more appropriate.

decemberlov
9-4-12, 1:37pm
Decemberlov - is a username I've been using for years. Why no "e" at the end? Not because I don't know how to spell but about 10 years ago when I went to use decemberlove for a yahoo account it was taken and the suggestion given was decemberlov instead and I just went with it. My husband and I are one day apart, my birthday is Dec 14th & his is the 15th.

Mrs-M
9-4-12, 2:10pm
Neat-o stories you guys!

danna
9-4-12, 2:50pm
Mine sort of rhymes with my real name and was made popular on a SNL skit.........so I have alway used it.
If you can guess you might get a prize...lol

Mrs-M
9-4-12, 2:54pm
Roseannadanna? Debbie Downer?

iris lily
9-4-12, 9:33pm
Roseannadanna? Debbie Downer?

I'll bet you got it with that first one.

Hey, do you remember Doug and Wendy Whiner from SNL? When Johnathan Allen wrote his book and interviewed us for it, we used Doug 'n Wendy as our nome de plumes.

JaneV2.0
9-4-12, 10:00pm
I was Jane before and I'm Jane again, but I'm thinking of changing to Freya of Fjordland.

danna
9-4-12, 10:32pm
You are so right except it is all one word with no "E"......I have had to live with this one for sooooooooo many years. Working in payroll some collections guy would call and ask the question of the day "have you ever heard of RosannaDanna...oh yeah!!
Mrs. M and Iris Lily if we ever meet I will bring you a gift..........
I was named after my mothers, mother (born in Scotland) but, really very unsure of the history or her linage.........behind the name.

Mrs-M
9-5-12, 12:31pm
Great stuff you guys! LOL!

Iris Lily. I don't remember Doug and Wendy Whiner. I'll have to see if I can find an old skit (online) related to.

JaneV2.0. Your consideration sounds Old World. I like it.

Danna. Rubbing hands together vigorously in anticipation over what you are going to get me. ROTFLMAO!

JaneV2.0
9-5-12, 12:50pm
JaneV2.0. Your consideration sounds Old World. I like it.

I must admit to having my tongue in cheek (or whatever the keyboard equivalent is.) I'm just trying to get used to being Scandinavian! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/rpg/dwarf.gif

Mrs-M
9-5-12, 12:54pm
LOL! Love the smiley, Jane.

oldhat
9-6-12, 4:09pm
I had taken a break from participating in the forum, and when I returned I came up with a new name because I'd said a few things under the old one that I wasn't terribly proud of. I wanted a fresh start. New name refers to my 15-year-old hiking hat, but also has figurative significance--despite my unorthodox lifestyle and mostly lefty politics, I'm pretty traditional in my personal beliefs.

Simpler at Fifty
9-6-12, 5:41pm
Did anyone ever hear from the woman adopted a daughter and then had cancer. She lived on a very small income and in her mother's house I believe. I think someone outed her last time so I don't want to say her whole name (WJ) here but the oldies will remember her. She posted about a year ago I think. I often think of her and wonder how she is. Wondered if I missed an update about her.

Mrs-M
9-6-12, 10:18pm
Wonderful additions.

I recall WJ, posting some time back, but there have been no further updates in her name.

Mrs-M
10-15-12, 12:02pm
Bump!

What a fun thread this was, newcomers, weigh-in!

SteveinMN
10-15-12, 4:31pm
I'll weigh in because I haven't before. But my username probably is the most boring derivation on this entire board. cow-hi

Mrs-M
10-15-12, 6:51pm
Not at all, SteveinMN. I quite fancy it. Not only does it speak of who you are, it tells of where you are! :)

Traditional and classic.

Mrs-M
1-15-13, 12:36pm
Newbies, check-in, and tell us your story behind your chosen forum name.