PDA

View Full Version : Buying Art Online? (ArtUSA)

CathyA
6-23-11, 3:02pm
I have bought some limited reproductions at a couple local art galleries, of one of my favorite wildlife artists.
I see that there are several online art stores where I can get them for alot less.
The online company (ArtUSA) looks like a reputable site (although it doesn't belong to the BBB). It makes alot of claims that look good. It also says we can return things if they are damaged, or not to our liking).

They say the print I want is signed and numbered. But it sure costs alot less than what it was going for a couple years ago, which concerns me.

Have any of you bought anything from ArtUSA?

iris lily
6-23-11, 10:01pm
I have bought some limited reproductions at a couple local art galleries, of one of my favorite wildlife artists.
I see that there are several online art stores where I can get them for alot less.
The online company (ArtUSA) looks like a reputable site (although it doesn't belong to the BBB). It makes alot of claims that look good. It also says we can return things if they are damaged, or not to our liking).

They say the print I want is signed and numbered. But it sure costs alot less than what it was going for a couple years ago, which concerns me.

Have any of you bought anything from ArtUSA?

I have worthless advice. But the fact that the print you are looking for is worth less than during the height of the economy really isn't a bad thing, is it? Seems like it's reflecting the cost of collectibles, the market is down.

I got a wild hair and bought an abstract oil painting from an ebay artist for $100. It was pretty and I liked it for the rich colors and interesting shapes. However, she had it very well lit in her ebay display. In my mono-lighted room it doesn't shine the way it did in the photo.

Most all collectibles are down significantly from 5 years ago. Yay, more for me, that's how I look at it!

Buy art because you love it, not for investment.

Just finished Stever MArtin's novel called An Object of Beauty that was greatly entertaining, about a young bright woman who trained herself on art and moved up in the dealer world only to come crashing down when the economy bailed in 2008.