PDA

View Full Version : Crazy daydreams, advenutres, goals? Things you want to see?

Stella
6-23-11, 5:54pm
Zach and I have a kind of distant goal of one day hiking both the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada and the Appalaichan Trail up the Eastern side of the U.S. We have no actual plans as of yet. In my head I think it would be fun to do with the kids when they are older, but maybe the kids wouldn't want to. I don't know. I'd just like to be able to say that I had done it. I have a friend that did complete the Pacific Crest Trail. I daydream about spending a year or two sailing and a year or two RVing too.

We are actually planning several longer roadtrips with the kids. This winter we are planning to roadtrip out to California and back. When they are older we want to do an East Coast trip, a Canadian trip, a Southern trip and a trip to see relatives in Alaska. I roadtripped to Alaska with my grandparents as a kid and it was a transformative experience. These goals aren't so crazy, which is why they are actual plans, not just nebulous thoughts and daydreams.

My girls have goals about hang gliding and SCUBA diving. I would be down with the SCUBA but I am afraid of heights, so hang gliding is not going to be my thing.

So how about you? What have you always wanted to do? Climb Mt Everest? Sail the Seven Seas?

Kestra
6-23-11, 6:06pm
I plan to spend several months in Europe - one way ticket, with no specific itinerary. Visit various countries, staying for a week to a month or more at a time. Only coming back to Canada when I've seen all I feel like seeing. Been saving up money since my 30th birthday, with the plan to go around my 40th. It will probably get pushed back to late 40ies as DH wants to go and we'll be able to retire around then so that would make it easier than taking a leave of absence.

Also I've seen hardly any of Canada and less of the US, so I really want to see and do so many things. DH was a long haul trucker so I'm so envious of all the places he's been. We've decided to start taking a once a year trip this year, instead of just saving money and putting travelling off. We never had any type of honeymoon. The only overnight travel in 3 years of marriage was 2 nights at a cabin less than 2 hours away. I've lived in Winnipeg for 10 years now and have never crossed the border to MN or ND. At least we're planning to RV when we're retired so I think that will nicely satisfy both my wanderlust and my love for staying at home, as well as minimalism. I'd like us to have hiked in every province, territory and state.

Float On
6-23-11, 6:15pm
Stella, do you read the trail journals website for people on the AT? I've hiked parts of it and would love to hike the bits I haven't meanwhile I love reading the journals of those hiking thru.

Seems a lot of us have wanderlust - I just want to go and experience deeply. I was doing that before I met and married but have spent the last 21 years living his dream. We'll see what the next few years hold.

madgeylou
6-24-11, 12:34am
i went on a long roadtrip with my fella 2 summer ago and it was awesome. i would totally love to get a little RV or something and just bum around the US for a few years. we spent 2 days at arches national park but i would love to spend a whole summer exploring the parks around utah ... a winter in texas and mexico ... a spring in montana ... the next summer in oregon and washington ... etc.

i have a desire to spend some time in paris, too, and in vietnam, japan, new zealand, and a whole bunch of other places. one place/plan at a time i guess. :)

iris lily
6-24-11, 10:40am
My latest vacation idea has been brewing for a while. I want a retrospective of my life so far and so--I want to visit places that I've been and have not seen for 20 -30 -40 years. So I want to go to the lake were I went every year as a child, another lake where we camped often, New Mexico where I've lived 30 years ago, etc.

It will be a nostalgia trip and will probably comprise 2 separate vacations, one that doesn't take more than a few days.

I'm kinds off visitin Europe for the moment even though my cousins is trying to gen up interest in a visit to western Scotland and I suppose I will go along on that jaunt. Our last family vacation to the old country was fun and surprisingly conflict free.

Spartana
6-24-11, 1:15pm
I HAD hoped to be off doing the "grundgy backpacker around the world" thing by now. I HAD planned for years to get rid of my home and everything I owned once my dogs were gone and spend as long as I wanted (years!) just bumming around the world. Staying in hostels while I travelled (by bike, by feet, by train, by bus) and stopping to stay where ever I wanted, as long as I wanted. A little studio apt in Paris for a year of art and culture - and food!? A yurt in the Himalayas for a summer of climbing and hiking? A winter in a fishing shack in the tropic for diving and kayaking? But, as soon as I was pet-free of my own pets, I ended up inheireting 2 more dogs who I haven't been able to find a home for in this past year since I've had them. So those plans are on the back burner again (sigh.....). Have to think of some new plans I guess. My main dream though, if I had to pick one, is to do the many long distance trails and footpaths around the world as well as to do some of the more extreme versions of ultra-distance runs I currently do now.