PDA

View Full Version : Spending On Something YOU KNOW will leave you REGRETFUL

heydude
6-23-11, 8:36pm
Do you have a cycle of puchases that you keep buying even though YOU KNOW YOU WILL REGRET IT.

I do. And, I keep buying it. One is a food item (take out). I usually do this once every 6 months. Each time, I know I'll regret it. But I do it. I do it and then I feel so ucky afterwards and wasteful. I enjoy it for like 2 seconds and then feel icky having ate it. But, there is just something important about the "dream" or illusion of having it be something that I want. It is a cheap regret, but I keep doing it. Maybe I can push it off to once a year. Oh well. It is funny.

kib
6-23-11, 8:44pm
It's not quite the same, but I find myself contemplating almost every new purchase feeling like on one hand I already know this isn't smart, and on the other hand I really need to do it. My old ____ is falling apart, but I just know whatever I pick will be disappointing, or fall apart in a month, or be twice as expensive as I expected, or only work properly if I sign up for some unwanted service plan. I also can't help but think the Chinese Buffet is going to be a delight, only to remember five minutes too late that nothing there really tastes very good.

libby
6-24-11, 11:00am
Buying magazines is always some thing I regret. I don't do it very often but when I do I am left wondering "what the heck was I thinking?" What a waste of money!

catherine
6-24-11, 11:18am
Online subscriptions--usually knee-jerk things when I need something but then I'm stuck with an automatic deduction until I get around to cancelling... like when I wanted to take clients out in New York, so I got an online subscription to Zagat. Or I was buying an appliance and got an online subscription to Consumer Reports.

I spend about $50 a month on those things: A couple of them are hobbies, and I like them--Ancestry.com and MyYogaOnline, but for the most part, I get so mad every time I see an automatic payment go through.

Buying magazines is always some thing I regret. I don't do it very often but when I do I am left wondering "what the heck was I thinking?" What a waste of money!

I get a few in the mail but if I ever buy a magazine at the checkout I am always disappointed and fell remorseful at the price.