PDA

View Full Version : Beer Bread

Sad Eyed Lady
6-24-11, 2:28pm
Seeing that I was out of bread today while preparing a good lunch I decided to make beer bread. It was something I used to make back in those old hippy-dippy 70's days, so out came the flour (white & whole wheat), some baking powder, sugar and a bottle of beer. Smelled wonderful baking. I baked 1 hr at 375 degrees. The taste is very good, however it is fairly dense and the crust is as hard as a rock! The batter seemed very stiff when I put it in the loaf pan, so would a wetter batter keep it from being too hard? Less flour? I enjoy this because it is such a quick and easy way to have fresh bread, but would certainly like a softer crust! Please help someone! Also I meant to add some herbs to it but forgot..... so next time I am hoping for a softer, herbed bread.

janharker
6-24-11, 7:59pm
Try putting a cookie sheet under the rack. I put mine on a cooling rack that I've set on the bottom of the oven, because my oven only has one rack. Then as soon as you put in the bread, pour in 1 cup of boiling water into the cookie sheet and close the door really fast. The steam will help keep the crust a little softer.