PDA

View Full Version : Would you fly now?

gimmethesimplelife
1-22-23, 7:47pm
Just curious, would you fly now? I am personally not thinking of traveling soon but as I've posted, myself and the Mr. would like to visit both Manila and Bogota. Obviously, plane travel would be involved. Prior to Covid, I flew several times and was glad to get from point A to point B so quickly, but my nerves were always wound up tight when I'd fly. And that was then......

Now I'm reading/hearing of cancelled flights, long delays, mountains of lost luggage - just plane travel in general being stressful and very unpleasant. And it's not just US based carriers with these issues, either. I went to Trustpilot and researched (formerly) well regarded airlines such as EVA Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, and Emerites - they all have these same issues, too - so flying to a large hub like LAX and then boarding a foreign carrier doesn't minimize travel risk these days as it used to pre Covid.

So I was just curious - would you fly now under these conditions? My vote is NO - worrying about cancellations and lost luggage is not my idea of a vacation. What's your take? Anyone have a guess as to how long flying will remain like this? Rob

Teacher Terry
1-22-23, 7:59pm
I flew to Ireland in June and I am flying to Zurich in April for 11 days visiting Munich, salsburg, Vienna and Prague. I also have a trip booked to France in 2024.

bae
1-22-23, 8:05pm
I'd fly, if I planned my trip prudently.

gimmethesimplelife
1-22-23, 8:10pm
I flew to Ireland in June and I am flying to Zurich in April for 11 days visiting Munich, salsburg, Vienna and Prague. I also have a trip booked to France in 2024.Salzburg is incredible - it's one place I can think of that the camera truly loves. I remember hearing once that the camera loved Marilyn Monroe. Salzburg is the same - I've never seen an ugly picture or image of it. I'm sure you will be in the Alte Stadt - the Old City where all the touristy sites are. Make sure to go to the castle - die Festung - if you have time. It's just amazing and beyond that, there are wonderful views of Salzburg from it's grounds.

Tourists never really seem to visit the new city where actual everyday Austrians live - but on the offhand chance that you go beyond the touristy areas - My Mother is from Gnigl, one of the neighborhoods in Salzburg. Most of my Austrian family that doesn't live in Vienna lives in Gnigl or Innsbruck. Rob

sweetana3
1-22-23, 8:27pm
I would fly but with limited connections and with a lot of flexibility. In other words, I would not fly into a city if a tour was starting that day. I would allow several days at the beginning and we always used to do that anyway because we learned our lesson in the 80s. Thankfully, it is not the money involved but the simple stress of sudden changes and problems.

It is the luggage issue that can do so much to damage a trip. We are pretty used to traveling with only a carryon but the airlines are becoming more strict.

Then there is the increased cost and added on fees for everything. The flights we have taken previously are almost double the cost now.

So we are staying closer to home.

gimmethesimplelife
1-22-23, 8:29pm
I'd fly, if I planned my trip prudently.I mean no snark here, bae, honestly i don't. By planning a trip prudently, do you mean direct flights only, minimal luggage or carry-on(s) only? Rob

Tradd
1-22-23, 8:34pm
My trip to MX in August was just horrid for the travel part. Mind you, I hate to fly and hadn’t done it since 2015 when I went to Charlotte for a weekend. Last international flight had been to Montreal for work in 1998. I didn’t even need a passport, just birth certificate.

I flew Southwest from ORD to Cancun. Flight was packed. I chose SW due to checked bag policy as I had to haul a lot of diving gear. I paid extra to get a business select ticket so I could be in the first 12 rows to board. I was number one after the little kids and handicapped people both ways. Got the overhead room right above my seat that I wanted. Put an Apple AirTag in checked bag to keep track of it. Flight was 100% full both ways.

But it was just brutal. Being squished with the unwashed masses, having to deal with TSA and the MX equivalent over dive gear, and the long walk through the airport that was hell on my knees, I never want to fly again. The cave diving in MX was awesome, but I don’t plan on ever going back. Flying sucks, massively. I will always take a long road trip, 2 days each way by myself, over flying.

bae
1-22-23, 8:39pm
I mean no snark here, bae, honestly i don't. By planning a trip prudently, do you mean direct flights only, minimal luggage or carry-on(s) only? Rob

Over the past 10 years or so, I've gotten really good at traveling for weeks with only my carry-on. This alone has eliminated a lot of fuss and bother.

Then, I strive for direct flights, at non-peak times. I also try to arrange to have spare time on both ends of the travel so that I won't stress if I blow a day or two because of delays/cancellations.

And I bring a lot of books and music and movies loaded onto my iPad Mini, and bring battery power packs and cords and such.

catherine
1-22-23, 10:12pm
It's so funny, after all the flying I did for business, I am wondering if the mundane trip to Buffalo I took in January 2020 was the last business trip I'll ever take. It wouldn't bother me at all, although I'll miss being able to stockpile frequent flier miles.

So, now, I'd like to take a trip with DH at some point to utilize some of those miles. But I'm not excited about flying. I used to love it.

iris lilies
1-23-23, 1:55am
Yes, it is a necessary evil to do what I want to do. I agree with traveling light and allowing one day plus to catch overseas flights and tours.

Yppej
1-23-23, 6:42am
My SIL moved to Hawaii which I always wanted to see, but the thought of flying is just too repellant.

Thought that if I ever flew again it would be to give support to DB1 in the event of a funeral (if he lost his wife or inlaws) but now he avoids me so I don't expect I would burden him with my presence.

Teacher Terry
1-23-23, 10:59am
I don’t enjoy flying but it’s the only way to get to where I want to go quickly and I won’t leave my dogs for more than 2 weeks. Coming home from Ireland I was offered the opportunity to upgrade both flights to economy plus for 145 total. What a difference a foot of leg/seat room makes. It was so comfortable!

happystuff
1-23-23, 12:27pm
I enjoy traveling - including international. Was never really able to do much of it in my younger days (some, but not what I consider a lot). Now, I am ready and willing to travel - domestic and international - when the appropriate circumstances arise.

catherine
2-6-23, 9:56am
I was just reminded of this YouTube clip with Louis CK on the Conan O'Brien show. I have always loved this clip. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, if you jump to 2:38, you'll get to the part most relevant for this thread. It's about people who take things for granted--in this case technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LaT5Iiwo4

iris lilies
2-6-23, 10:01am
I was just reminded of this YouTube clip with Louis CK on the Conan O'Brien show. I have always loved this clip. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, if you jump to 2:38, you'll get to the part most relevant for this thread. It's about people who take things for granted--in this case technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LaT5Iiwo4

”You’re sitting in a chair…in the sky!” appreciate it, people!

hahah

Tradd
2-6-23, 12:56pm
Unfortunately, I’m flying in December to go back to MX for a week of cave diving. No way am I going Southworst this time. I paid $1073 for a business class ticket on AA. That is only $300 more than my cattle class ticket on Southworst in August (ticket bought in May). I’ll have more room and be at the front of the plane. Hope it’ll be a slightly better experience. Applied for global entry, but may not be able to get an interview before I go.

littlebittybobby
4-20-23, 1:51pm
Okay---I am flying to Lundumb for the Corronation of St. Charlie, next month. So yeah---anya you kids planning to go? See--I need someone to pay my way and carry my luggage thru the terminal. Also, I want to see the sights---haunted castles, old gallows, stuff like that. So anyway---hope that helps you some.

iris lilies
4-20-23, 6:22pm
Okay---I am flying to Lundumb for the Corronation of St. Charlie, next month. So yeah---anya you kids planning to go? See--I need someone to pay my way and carry my luggage thru the terminal. Also, I want to see the sights---haunted castles, old gallows, stuff like that. So anyway---hope that helps you some.
Have you ever actually been out of this country?

littlebittybobby
4-20-23, 8:38pm
Have you ever actually been out of this country? Okay---I been out o' this country, a couple times. Not worth the trouble, really. Plus, I get to missing my catts & doggs. But yeah---I'm staying IN this country, and on the home turf. Zurra tourism is enough, for mee. Yup. Hope that helpps you some.

San Onofre Guy
4-23-23, 9:02pm
12 flights in the last month. March 28 up/back to Sacramento Southwest for a consulting meeting. April 1 LAX to Paris to Tel Aviv, delayed thirty minutes leaving CDG due to work slowdown. Return yesterday Amman to London to LAX. We were in Israel, Egypt and Jordan. We had six flights of up to 90 minutes while in the region. Fascinating region, especially Jordan.

catherine
4-23-23, 9:11pm
12 flights in the last month. March 28 up/back to Sacramento Southwest for a consulting meeting. April 1 LAX to Paris to Tel Aviv, delayed thirty minutes leaving CDG due to work slowdown. Return yesterday Amman to London to LAX. We were in Israel, Egypt and Jordan. We had six flights of up to 90 minutes while in the region. Fascinating region, especially Jordan.

Wow! Hope you're collecting a lot of frequent flyer points!

littlebittybobby
5-10-23, 11:20am
Okay----I know someone who retired after 25 years, putting packages of cheese in a box, day after day, year after year. A career that requires the ability to perform a VERY(x4444) mindless & boring job. I kind of got a clue that that particular person had a thing for all things English--a print of a Bengal Tiger over the mantle & faux English Manor (Tudor)siding on their house, etc, even though they never said anything about it.. But yeah---what did they do, for something to "do", last week? Well, they just HAD to buy ticckkkicks to fly to England for The Coronation! I always wondered what function the Monarchy actually served, in this day and age. It's about like 'Carts; a drawing card for fools and their money! Yup. Some people really get into that xxxt! But not littlebittymee. I've got petts to feed & water, etc.

catherine
5-10-23, 11:40am
Okay----I know someone who retired after 25 years, putting packages of cheese in a box, day after day, year after year. A career that requires the ability to perform a VERY(x4444) mindless & boring job. I kind of got a clue that that particular person had a thing for all things English--a print of a Bengal Tiger over the mantle & faux English Manor (Tudor)siding on their house, etc, even though they never said anything about it.. But yeah---what did they do, for something to "do", last week? Well, they just HAD to buy ticckkkicks to fly to England for The Coronation! I always wondered what function the Monarchy actually served, in this day and age. It's about like 'Carts; a drawing card for fools and their money! Yup. Some people really get into that xxxt! But not littlebittymee. I've got petts to feed & water, etc.

I was never one for huge crowds, so I wouldn't travel to something like the Coronation. But I do love England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland. I would prefer to take nice leisurely meanders around their countrysides than stand for hours in the rain to hopefully catch a glimpse of the Royal Family. I agree that Charles has his work cut out for him to keep the monarchy relevant, but I still feel it serves a purpose--being a face of the values that the UK projects to the Commonwealth. Can you imagine if we left it to our political figures to be the face of America?? There is no one here that represents the highest version of ourselves. Maybe we do need a figurehead king or queen to remind us who we can/should be. Many would disagree, but I believe Elizabeth had integrity, purpose, and virtue when it came to living out how she sees the UK presence in the world, whether you believe in that "virtue" or not (exploitation, colonialism, etc.).

bae
5-10-23, 11:43am
I was never one for huge crowds, so I wouldn't travel to something like the Coronation.

My daughter and her partner simply participated in their neighborhood's Coronation street party, rather than dealing with the commute into London and the crowds. She said it was fun.

littlebittybobby
5-10-23, 11:56am
The French, the Russians, and the Germans had the right idea, by deposing their Royals. Yup.. But, even those French subsequently exhumed their conqueror Napoleon from his simple grave waaay, waaay out on a small island, & brought his remains back to Paris and built an enormous mausoleum to House them. The Russians have recovered the remains of the Czar & his family, for posterity. Stalin & Lenin were on display, for decades. Yuk. But yeah---Hitler even visited les invalides or whatever for a photo op. Thing is---they really screwed up by not giving Adolph & Eva a decent burial. With his notoriety, it'd be a great tourist draw. Sure would. Looka ze Kamps. Yah. See? Hope that helps you some.

littlebittybobby
5-10-23, 12:51pm
Okay----If King Chuck has an ounce of power, he will see to it that Lady Die's remains are re-entombed in a new venue, whereby the tourists can make their pilgrimages by the thousands. Way it is now---she's got her mausoleum on private properety, owned by the Spencers. But yeah---bad strategy. Well, isn't it?

littlebittybobby
7-4-23, 5:54pm
Okay---This just in. Some unlucky people found out the hard way that mindlessly sitting on a plane for hours and hours for something to "do"(ha) may have negative consequences. See Photo. But yeah---not saying this is guaranteed to happen, but hey--why take unnecessary chances? Hope that helps you some.5576

jp1
7-7-23, 8:52pm
Okay----If King Chuck has an ounce of power, he will see to it that Lady Die's remains are re-entombed in a new venue, whereby the tourists can make their pilgrimages by the thousands. Way it is now---she's got her mausoleum on private properety, owned by the Spencers. But yeah---bad strategy. Well, isn't it?

Does king chuck own a golf course? I hear that it’s all the rage to bury one’s exes in the middle of one.

Greg44
7-20-23, 3:17am
Just booked cross county flights tonight for end of September. I use to love to travel - but now the thrill is gone. Too many cancelled flights, crazy passengers and stupid fees. DW is tired of
doing this trip alone. We even offered to buy a ticket for our DD, but with no avail. Strangely I have developed some anxiety this past year, which does not help the situation...

sweetana3
7-20-23, 5:56am
Greg44, I totally understand and am in the same position. I dislike having to consider "what if something happens". We have traveled all over the world and had our own stories of flights but this whole mess is like a slow moving disaster.

gimmethesimplelife
7-23-23, 10:14am
I have not set foot in a plane for a number of years and what I hear of and read of flying these days I'm not missing much. However, like that old saying - hope springs eternal. I have been doing flight shopping for Phoenix to Medellin without flying to LAX to get a cheap(er) flight. Amazingly at the moment I have found BUSINESS CLASS R/T Phoenix to Medellin for $1,300 which strikes me as incredibly cheap. Only caveat is that it's on American Airlines and my reentry point to the US would be in Miami, which has a horrible rep as far as Customs/Immigration go.

Point? I'm going to give this a chance anyway. Today I would fly - it might help though that I recently applied for and was approved for a travel oriented credit card from a large unnamed bank. This card comes with great travel insurance and from reviews I have read, it's non-problematic to file a legit claim. I really don't care to fly on American - it's not the name, it's the lousy service - but I looked into Avianca, LAX to Bogota to Medellin and their service/rep is even worse. At least if the flight is not cancelled we'll get two bags up to 70 lbs. each plus more room and less of a sardine can seat. And if the flight is cancelled, the travel insurance on this credit card will reimburse a night at an airport hotel though I forget what the max reimbursement is. Rob

iris lilies
7-23-23, 10:59am
I haven’t started any of the tedious work to find a flight since my Riga trip is all in my imagination as yet, but I said to myself “money is no object “ yet I won’t pay ridiculously obscene prices of first class.

My current view of luxury is that I fly into the city of demarcation, stay all night at an airport hotel, and take off next day at a leisurely late morning time to Europe. Likely in Business class. The stress of trying to line up connecting flights the same day is just too yuck.

gmiller
10-2-23, 1:26am
I purchased a flexible (allowing for changes or cancellations after purchase) tour to the Czech Republic this December to experience the Christmas Markets in Prague. See this: https://www.visitczechia.com/en-US/1a322307-180f-4329-b639-4195c28def62/event/e-christmas-markets-prague for more information on Christmas Markets in Prague.

I also booked a tour with a local guide to visit several markets and taste local Christmas food and drinks. A local guide can help you make the most of your stay in the Czech Republic by knowing the best times and dates to visit the Christmas Markets: https://gowithguide.com/czech-republic/prague

iris lilies
10-2-23, 1:33am
I purchased a flexible (allowing for changes or cancellations after purchase) tour to the Czech Republic this December to experience the Christmas Markets in Prague. See this: https://www.visitczechia.com/en-US/1a322307-180f-4329-b639-4195c28def62/event/e-christmas-markets-prague for more information on Christmas Markets in Prague.

I also booked a tour with a local guide to visit several markets and taste local Christmas food and drinks. A local guide can help you make the most of your stay in the Czech Republic by knowing the best times and dates to visit the Christmas Markets: https://gowithguide.com/czech-republic/prague

Ooooooo! A Market in the old town Square would be wonderful! I love Prague.

My friends in their 80s, went to one of the German Christmas markets just a couple years ago. Now I do not really want to go overseas to shop, but still there’s something about the phrase “Christmas market” as I envisioned it in an old European city that would be lovely.

Tybee
10-2-23, 8:21am
I know it's not hte same thing at all, Iris, but Chicago had a nice market if you wanted to drive there for a weekend:
Traditional German Event | Christkindlmarket Chicago (https://www.christkindlmarket.com/about/)

pinkytoe
10-2-23, 2:13pm
A friend here was telling me about the beautiful islands off Portugal but said the flights now require multiple stops or changes. Thinking about a major birthday trip next year to some place far away so I will have to get used to the idea of flying again which I hate.

iris lilies
10-2-23, 2:40pm
I know it's not hte same thing at all, Iris, but Chicago had a nice market if you wanted to drive there for a weekend:
Traditional German Event | Christkindlmarket Chicago (https://www.christkindlmarket.com/about/)

oh no, I wouldn’t drive to Chicago to go to a frigid Chicago outdoor shopping event. The attraction is Prague and cities like Prague.

I’m on a new kick now starting this weekend. Since the place I really want to go is too close to Ukraine and all that mess, I’m thinking about a trip to southwest region of France and then going over to Barcelona. The one immigrant ancestor that I can locate from a long time ago was born in southwest France in 1635, so I’d like to go over there to see whatever sites were around at that time that he saw with his own eyes.

bae
10-3-23, 3:21pm
Flying back to the UK shortly for "some time"(*). Luckily I can vaguely understand the language they speak there.

I will be up on my latest vaccines, will have well-fitting masks, plenty of books and movies loaded onto my iPad, and good noise-cancelling headphones. So, basically like a normal day at work :-)

(*) Daughter's Ph.D. award ceremony, some research work of my own with the physics folks there, and some house-hunting in the small villages near Cambridge.

catherine
10-3-23, 3:36pm
Flying back to the UK shortly for "some time"(*). Luckily I can vaguely understand the language they speak there.

I will be up on my latest vaccines, will have well-fitting masks, plenty of books and movies loaded onto my iPad, and good noise-cancelling headphones. So, basically like a normal day at work :-)

(*) Daughter's Ph.D. award ceremony, some research work of my own with the physics folks there, and some house-hunting in the small villages near Cambridge.

Congratulations to you and your daughter! Have a great trip and happy house-hunting!

jp1
10-17-23, 9:47pm

Hope it’s a good and productive trip. I’m also traveling tomorrow but just to my work team away day in Fort Worth. Not as exciting (or likely as productive) but it’ll give me a chance to wear SO’s cowboy boots…��